Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I was watching the Gadget Show this morning and they did a challenge thing to see where the best place to buy a basic PC was.

The winner was one from a local shop that built PCs so I'm leaning towards doing that in order to get a basic PC.

Just wondering, I'm interested in getting a PC rather than a laptop for Uni and £400 to do the basic stuff would be ideal.

My question is, has anyone on here bought a PC for about £400 (be it from PC World, the internet or from a local shop or whatever) and been SATISFIED with it?

Cheers

ReputationRep:
    I bought a £404 dell back in 2005 and I am still using it now. The PC itself was never amazing, but i do a lot of web development and a bit of gaming and it's never given me any problems. Granted it's not the best i could have got for £400 BUT if you've got minimal PC knowledge a dell would be perfect for you.

So yeah, check out dell. They deliver and stuff and you can find a lot of support online, granted phone support is useless but you can always find somebody willing to help you online.

The best thing about having a Dell is if you ever do encounter a problem you can simply say "Dell 3100" or whatever and then the people willing to help you have everything they need to know straight away, with buying a custom PC you'll have to spend time compiling info about what your PC has and hasn't got.

ReputationRep:
    Don't buy from PC World, it is very expensive, you can find anything you buy from PC World cheaper somewhere online. I wouldn't recommend Dell personally but if you don't want to build one up yourself Dell is simply and not particularly expensive, especially for basic computers.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *squid)
    I bought a £404 dell back in 2005 and I am still using it now. The PC itself was never amazing, but i do a lot of web development and a bit of gaming and it's never given me any problems. Granted it's not the best i could have got for £400 BUT if you've got minimal PC knowledge a dell would be perfect for you.

So yeah, check out dell. They deliver and stuff and you can find a lot of support online, granted phone support is useless but you can always find somebody willing to help you online.

The best thing about having a Dell is if you ever do encounter a problem you can simply say "Dell 3100" or whatever and then the people willing to help you have everything they need to know straight away, with buying a custom PC you'll have to spend time compiling info about what your PC has and hasn't got.
    Building a PC must be so much more fun though!

But yeah, your point on the fact that quoting just the model no. making it easier for anyone helping ya is good, ta!

ReputationRep:
    Yeah microdirect.co.uk have cheap parts and I built mine from there.
    It's really easy to do - i had no clue before I started and built mine in about 2 and a half hours.
    However, if you really dont want to build one then check out http://www.novatech.co.uk/novatech/
    They had a great range of good qual cheap PC's last time i checked

ReputationRep:
    Do you need to buy a monitor and OS too, or do you already have these? If you give me some time, I might be able to get a spec together for you at some point today. So what do you actually want it to be able to do?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr. Orange)
    I was watching the Gadget Show this morning and they did a challenge thing to see where the best place to buy a basic PC was.

The winner was one from a local shop that built PCs so I'm leaning towards doing that in order to get a basic PC.

Just wondering, I'm interested in getting a PC rather than a laptop for Uni and £400 to do the basic stuff would be ideal.

My question is, has anyone on here bought a PC for about £400 (be it from PC World, the internet or from a local shop or whatever) and been SATISFIED with it?

Cheers
    My laptop was £500, so a bit more expensive but that was over a year ago now. I love it though, it's fast, quite a lot of memory (although I could do with more tbh) and I dunno it's just generally served me well.

It's an Acer, but that doesn't mean it's not good! Although I must admit I'm thinking about selling it for a Mac :love: but that's only cos it's pretty :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alex L)
    Do you need to buy a monitor and OS too, or do you already have these? If you give me some time, I might be able to get a spec together for you at some point today. So what do you actually want it to be able to do?
    Basic stuff, like surfing, gaming, word processing, just stuff a PC novice uni student would mostly do lol

Well my PC in my room is old, and the monitor isn't a flat screen, so no I don't really have those lol. What's an OS btw?

Edit: hey that novatech site is really good. Thanks for being so thoughtFUL Thoughtless!

ReputationRep:
    Operating system. Just that if you don't have one then that's likely to make a huuuge dent in your budget, to the point where it becomes far more cost effective to buy from a mass producer like Dell.

ReputationRep:
    Check out the Dell summer sale, there might be something that appeals

ReputationRep:
    Take a look at the "InspironTM 530s". That is a great desktop for the price, would suit what you want to do perfectly and it's under £400

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *squid)
    Take a look at the "InspironTM 530s". That is a great desktop for the price, would suit what you want to do perfectly and it's under £400
    I've just been toying with these, seeing what spec I can get for what price by messing around with the configurations

ReputationRep:
    Gaming machines cost a lot. It requires you to go all the way. Either buy a proper gaming system, or buy something that won't play any games older than 3 years.

Games or no games: take your pick. We're talking entirely different budgets here. You will not get a gaming system for £400.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr. Orange)

Cheers
    Yup. Bought a decent PC a couple year back from Tesco for around £400. 64 bit AMD CPU, decent enough speed. My mum still uses it, and whenever I go on to do anything on it, it still runs very fast.

ReputationRep:
    I would recommend against Vista for a £400 PC. Get XP instead, I don't think the components you'll be able to get for £(£400 - £vista disk) will run Vista at an enjoyable speed.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alex L)
    Operating system. Just that if you don't have one then that's likely to make a huuuge dent in your budget, to the point where it becomes far more cost effective to buy from a mass producer like Dell.
    Well the PC in my room will have one but it won't be much good i reckon. It's an old dell windows 98 model...dunno the model name!

ReputationRep:
    Has anyone on here used Dell Vostro desktops? I've found the laptops to be fine but not sure about the desktops. You can get one of those for a decent price too, just remeber that the displayed price doesn't include VAT

ReputationRep:
    PC Pro ran a feature a couple months back that's perfect for you. 'Build a futureproof PC for 200'. Which talks you through all the different components you'll need and gives you good recommendations. If i remember correctly the finished thing excluded VAT, a monitor and OS. So overall it'd probably come to around 400 if you need these.

It won't be much cop for playing games though. Although as the article mentions, for an extra 90 quid you can pick up a decent graphics card (9600GT) that'll play most modern games on max setting easily. So you have the option to upgrade anytime.

There's even a good video guiding you through how to build it.

http://www.pcpro.co.uk/features/1959...c-for-200.html

ReputationRep:
    PC World is rubbish, really expensive.:p:

i buy online from: ebuyer, dabs, novatech, scan, overclockers uk.

i had an old dell laptop, it lasted me 4 years. it came with a 3 year next day warranty, so if anything went wrong i rang them up and they fixed it at my house the next day.
    dell are good, but quite expensive, i recommend them.
    i also have an ancient dell PC with Windows 2000, which runs perfectly.

i now hav an HP 6715B. i got it last november at at absolute bargain price of £440 from ebuyer. it is now back up to £630 and higher:eek:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alexsheppard11)
    PC World is rubbish, really expensive.:p:

i buy online from: ebuyer, dabs, novatech, scan, overclockers uk.

i had an old dell laptop, it lasted me 4 years. it came with a 3 year next day warranty, so if anything went wrong i rang them up and they fixed it at my house the next day.
    dell are good, but quite expensive, i recommend them.
    i also have an ancient dell PC with Windows 2000, which runs perfectly.

i now hav an HP 6715B. i got it last november at at absolute bargain price of £440 from ebuyer. it is now back up to £630 and higher:eek:
    PC World is rubbish, but I wouldn't call them expensive. They are like the Lidl of the computing world, sell cheap goods at cheap prices.

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.