Turn on thread page Beta

Brain foods watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone know of any foods which would be extremely useful in helping:
    a)staying awake whislt revising,
    b)concentration
    and also helping memory (mine is'nt the best)

i was ok before..but now i have an english exam in 3 days, and the more i try and revise the more i simply seem to procrastinate because i can't concentrate and can't remember the work !!!!!

thanks!

well i'd avoid anything high in sugars and caffiene

you want to go for starchy complex carbohydrate foods, these will sustain you whislt you are working, you want to get natural sugars from fruite, and increase your potassium levels by eating bananas.

i would strongly reccomend eating these foods:

Pasta
    potatoes
    rice
    fruit/veg
    chicken/turkey (or any white meat)
    fish
    and drinking lots of water / natural fruit juices

Things to avoid:

Red Bull / other stimulation drinks
    tea
    coffee
    biscuits /sweets /cakes
    alcohol
    crisps / other junk foods
    ready meals
    takeaways
    fizzy drinks

you need to make sure you revise for 30 minutes, take a 15 - 10 minute break then do more revision, break it all up... the mroe you sit there solidly revising the less you take in. make sure you're keeping yourself well hydrated with water because at the end of the day your brain is 60 - 80% water and needs to be kept well hydrated.

ReputationRep:
    Fish is meant to be really good

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by daniel_williams)
    well i'd avoid anything high in sugars and caffiene

you want to go for starchy complex carbohydrate foods, these will sustain you whislt you are working, you want to get natural sugars from fruite, and increase your potassium levels by eating bananas.

i would strongly reccomend eating these foods:

Pasta
    potatoes
    rice
    fruit/veg
    chicken/turkey (or any white meat)
    fish
    and drinking lots of water / natural fruit juices

Things to avoid:

Red Bull / other stimulation drinks
    tea
    coffee
    biscuits /sweets /cakes
    alcohol
    crisps / other junk foods
    ready meals
    takeaways
    fizzy drinks

you need to make sure you revise for 30 minutes, take a 15 - 10 minute break then do more revision, break it all up... the mroe you sit there solidly revising the less you take in. make sure you're keeping yourself well hydrated with water because at the end of the day your brain is 60 - 80% water and needs to be kept well hydrated.
    Avoid tea? My binge drinking of tea during every exam period is looking a somewhat dubious tactic now.

ReputationRep:
    I heard Porridge is really good brain food. I eat it sometimes when i have an important day at college or an exam.

I also disagree with a poster above. Red Bull is not 'healthy' brain food but it does work, at least for me, and gives you that extra energy when its not feasible to cook/eat a Jacket Potatoe and Fish (like in a library).

ReputationRep:
    Whilst Im studying I drink a LOT of Red Bull...it helps me revise more in depth. But its suicidal if you drink Red Bull before an exam. Just drink it whilst you study like the day before, for concentration. But not in the exam - no matter how much you crave a nice cold can!!

ReputationRep:
    Blueberries! and Fish (eek)

ReputationRep:
    fish - omega 3 oil is meant to be amazing, but I think that's if you build it up over a long period of time.

ReputationRep:
    Lots of water, keep yourself hydrated

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ***amy***)
    fish - omega 3 oil is meant to be amazing, but I think that's if you build it up over a long period of time.
    Cod Liver Oil, but its disgusting. We made a friend drink a whole bottle at a party once.

I have a spoonful daily.

ReputationRep:
    To stay up at night I chew gum.

Also good for concentration in exams is munching blueberries before hand. Also they're really tasty.

ReputationRep:
    I heard eating a banana makes blood flow to your brain a lot more, probably royal bull**** but it was a nice placebo for a while Then my mum found the need to tell me it was bull****.

ReputationRep:
    Nuts are suppost to be a good brain food

ReputationRep:
    cod liver oil - supposed to be good, i have capsules but i forget to take them
    garlic is supposed to be good i heard...maybe chop some up on and put it on your meals? or get some sort of garlic powder or sauce?
    bananas are good too

ReputationRep:
    have a balanced diet, lots of water and youll be fine

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AntiLearner)
    cod liver oil - supposed to be good, i have capsules but i forget to take them
    garlic is supposed to be good i heard...maybe chop some up on and put it on your meals? or get some sort of garlic powder or sauce?
    bananas are good too
    Garlic bread is win, have it with a chicken pasta meal and you are set .

ReputationRep:
    tin of mackerel :p:

(Original post by milly.)
    Fish is meant to be really good
    I 2nd this one.

I ate a fair bit of this around my exams and it helped me a lot to concentrate and stay awake too.

ReputationRep:
    Broccoli and Bananas

ReputationRep:
    Ginseng tablets will help with staying awake and revising (Asda sell a three month supply really cheaply so go hunt it down, I take them and they work), also omega 3-6-9 oil for concentration, co-enzyme q10 tablets for energy especially are well worth the investment (try Holland and Barrett for ones that I know that work, but most supermarkets sell it too). Stay off the caffeine, as mentioned, porridge is good for all-day stamina (really really cheap as well - buy dried goji berries and fresh blueberries to have on top, sweetened with honey or preferably sweeteners NOT sugar, with some orange juice diluted with water to reduce the effect of the fructose, super brain breakfast!).

Keep your blood sugar stable by avoiding obvious sources of quick glucose - sweets and milk chocolate (buy a bar of dark for occasional chocolate fixes, Green and Blacks is the best, yum!), white flour, bread and pasta (substitute for brown and spelt), potatoes, substitute sweeteners (sucralose rather than aspartame and the like if you can afford it) for sugar in tea and coffee if you must drink it. herbal teas such as mint or chamomile rather than tea/coffee. Make sure you get enough fibre so you get rid of your toxins faster and your body can cope with the extra exam stress. Gentle exercise every day is also very helpful for this.

Eat 4-6 REGULAR *little* meals a day during exams. Don't eat overly fatty things either, they'll make you sluggish and tired. Avoid all junk foods, chips and burgers and the like. Have a little protein with every meal. This all sounds like a lot, and I follow all of it, but even just one or two of these will make a noticeable difference so just try as much as you can manage.

And here's my best tip, although probably the most expensive, but again worth the investment if you have a lot of exams:
    Go to a health food shop and buy some protein shake powder in whichever flavour you like that isn't chocolate (doesn't work with fruit; also Holland and Barrett have these on cheap offers quite regularly). Before your exam, get a scoop of this, a banana, and some other fruit you like - I usually do some strawberries, raspberries and mango - top up with fruit juice, I usually use the supermarket value orange juice. Add some milk or water, whatever is to your taste, if you have some fibre powder add a teaspoon of that, or if you don't mind bits then add some linseeds, whizz up into a smoothie and take with a ginseng tablet. This will see you through the longest exam without flagging, but make sure you substitute it for a meal else you'll feel ill!

HTH

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: June 8, 2008
Poll
Should Banksy be put in prison?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.