Experience Watch

Murphy2222
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Would working at a pharmacy part time be a good thing to put on a personal statement for a nursing course?
Would it make any difference to the statement or be relevant considering that it’s health related?
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
claireestelle
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Murphy2222)
Would working at a pharmacy part time be a good thing to put on a personal statement for a nursing course?
Would it make any difference to the statement or be relevant considering that it’s health related?
it is slightly relevant so you could mention it.
-_alex_-
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
When it comes to including work experience on personal statements it’s best to relate the work experience to the course in some way, simply listing that you have worked in a pharmacy isn’t likely to add much to your statement on its own even if it is in a related field, instead you should say why working in a pharmacy has made you suitable or more interested in the course.

For example you might say that having spent time working in a pharmacy you’ve seen first hand how important a role our healthcare system plays in many peoples lives, and that this has made you more interested in being involved in healthcare, or to make it more personal you could use some workplace anecdote that inspired or furthered your interest in nursing, like that you saw the difference treatment made to mrs.jones and this highlighted to you the importance of people helping others etc etc.. and to be honest even if you made up an anecdote I’m sure they’d never know

I’m not saying you should use the above examples on your personal statement, they’re not great examples to be honest... but I only give them to demonstrate the idea of linking your work experience to your interest in nursing.. hope that makes sense. I don’t know too much about nursing or working in a pharmacy so I’m sure you could come up with something better than I can, but still this is the kind of advice I found when researching personal statement writing for myself, albeit in a different subject, but it seems that this is true for writing personal statements for any subject or field.
Murphy2222
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by -_alex_-)
When it comes to including work experience on personal statements it’s best to relate the work experience to the course in some way, simply listing that you have worked in a pharmacy isn’t likely to add much to your statement on its own even if it is in a related field, instead you should say why working in a pharmacy has made you suitable or more interested in the course.

For example you might say that having spent time working in a pharmacy you’ve seen first hand how important a role our healthcare system plays in many peoples lives, and that this has made you more interested in being involved in healthcare, or to make it more personal you could use some workplace anecdote that inspired or furthered your interest in nursing, like that you saw the difference treatment made to mrs.jones and this highlighted to you the importance of people helping others etc etc.. and to be honest even if you made up an anecdote I’m sure they’d never know

I’m not saying you should use the above examples on your personal statement, they’re not great examples to be honest... but I only give them to demonstrate the idea of linking your work experience to your interest in nursing.. hope that makes sense. I don’t know too much about nursing or working in a pharmacy so I’m sure you could come up with something better than I can, but still this is the kind of advice I found when researching personal statement writing for myself, albeit in a different subject, but it seems that this is true for writing personal statements for any subject or field.
Thank u so much this is great advice
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 31 Jul '19
  • Staffordshire University
    Postgraduate open event - Stoke-on-Trent campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 7 Aug '19
  • University of Derby
    Foundation Open Event Further education
    Wed, 7 Aug '19

What are your favourite crisps?