Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Basically I've got a conditional offer from Birmingham to study Computer science with Business management next term, the offer being BBB (General Studies allowed..But I got an E for AS level so that's out the window). Thing is, I take the three following subjects: Business, ICT and Eng Lit. I reckon (based on my current UMS marks and exams I've already taken this month) that BBC with the C in Eng Lit is more realistic and what I'd end up getting. So my question is, I've heard that Birmingham are fairly lenient in general, and especially for my course (CS) which is a largely undersubscribed course, do you reckon that I can still get in even if I miss it by 1 grade (namely, BBC instead of BBB)? Adding from that the fact that English Literature has nothing to do with the course, where as the other two subjects are very much relevant..

Now I'm not saying I've already set my mind on missing the offer because I haven't, I'm trying really hard to get the three B's, but realistically, it's a posibility. Any thoughts appreciated...

ReputationRep:
    I've heard that when It's only off by one grade then they're usually fine with letting you onto the course. I'd say they were even more likely to if the course is under subscribed. Well I'm hoping they're that considerate anyways. I have an offer of BBB but don't think I'll get a B in one of my subjects. Hopefully ABC will be just the same.

Don't worry yourself about it too much.. just wait for results and if you dont quite get what they asked for, get on the phone to them and see what they can do? Thats the advice I got from an open day at Birmingham anyways.

Though I do know someone who got the acceptance letter before collecting his results and he got ABB instead of AAB.

ReputationRep:
    I'm not sure about you course, but I needed ABB for Physics, but got AAC and they still let me in

ReputationRep:
    I hope so

ReputationRep:
    They were brilliant with me. My offer for them was AAB (and they were my insurance!) and I got ABC and they still let me in!!
    I do Accounting & Finance though..which I realise is not hugely competitive - obviously the situation would have been very different if I was doing something like Medicine or Law.
    Really...I'd say the amount of leniance they give depends on how everyone else does who's applied. Obviously if they have 100 places and have given 200 people offers, and if 100 people get their grades..then chances are they won't let you in.
    Hope that makes sense.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xlouisedoll)
    They were brilliant with me. My offer for them was AAB (and they were my insurance!) and I got ABC and they still let me in!!
    I do Accounting & Finance though..which I realise is not hugely competitive - obviously the situation would have been very different if I was doing something like Medicine or Law.
    Really...I'd say the amount of leniance they give depends on how everyone else does who's applied. Obviously if they have 100 places and have given 200 people offers, and if 100 people get their grades..then chances are they won't let you in.
    Hope that makes sense.
    Just a question, did you find that getting lower grades in comparison with the other people on your course who pressumably got the grades, did you feel at a disadvantage during the course?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Charlurr)
    Just a question, did you find that getting lower grades in comparison with the other people on your course who pressumably got the grades, did you feel at a disadvantage during the course?
    No not at all! But I think that's most likely because a fair few of my modules were based on A level stuff for people that hadn't done certain subjects at A level. For example, there are 3 different Maths groups for one module - I was in the highest group as I'd done A level Maths with Stats, whereas some people hadn't done Maths at all and some people just hadn't done the Stats part.

ReputationRep:
    Hope that makes sense.
    Hmm, i'm doing Law and expecting to drop 2 grades so I hope they're really lenient

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Black Chuck Norris)
    Hmm, i'm doing Law and expecting to drop 2 grades so I hope they're really lenient
    You never know! I dropped 2 (1 grade in 2 different subjects) so...miracle's can happen!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Black Chuck Norris)
    I got an offer, having already gained only ABB (before I decided to do Classics instead), so I wouldn't worry too much.

ReputationRep:
    You never know! I dropped 2 (1 grade in 2 different subjects) so...miracle's can happen!!
    well, you definitely improved my moral towards it :p:

(Original post by jismith1989)
    I got an offer, having already gained only ABB (before I decided to do Classics instead), so I wouldn't worry too much.
    and you! well, I'm just hoping they are really lenient, I can't imagine doing any other subject at any other uni

ReputationRep:
    For Law at Birmingham my offer was AAA i got ABB and i just graduated from the law school!
    It would not disadvantage anyone in the slightest.

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.