The Student Room Group

Guess the 2019 Edexcel A Level Maths boundaries and win a prize!

Scroll to see replies

These seem realistic.
Original post by moneymanJPM
A*= 265
a=220
b=190
Original post by RedGiant
a*: 237
a: 170
b: 138

Could you explain why you think the A and B will drop massively but the A* will increase by a significant amount? I would like to know the reasoning behind this
A* = 69
A = 21
B = 6.9

Sending good luck to the Edexcel Maths students (I did AQA so I'm not qualified to guess, which is why I'm wasting my guess).
Great thread idea by the way.
A*= 265
a=220
b=190

Oof
Original post by Jackudy3
A* = 69
A = 21
B = 6.9

Sending good luck to the Edexcel Maths students (I did AQA so I'm not qualified to guess, which is why I'm wasting my guess).
Great thread idea by the way.

sEeMs LeGiT

Original post by NATHan w
Could you explain why you think the A and B will drop massively but the A* will increase by a significant amount? I would like to know the reasoning behind this

It's just a gut feeling, idk, what's your reasoning?
(edited 4 years ago)
A* = 234
a = 179
b = 147
(edited 4 years ago)
A*-250
a-190
b-160
It's just a gut feeling, idk, what's your reasoning?

I think A* will increase slightly due to the A* students no really be fazed by the new spec and ‘hard’ questions. They’ll undoubtedly be more prepared than last years top students so would have had an additional boost. I feel that for A/B grade students, the new style will pose more of a challenge to them so will affect them more. Overall I won’t be surprised if they are very much similar to last years +- 1-5 marks for each boundary
A*-250
a-190
b-160

250 :frown: ... surely 21 marks in one year is a massive leap to make
I think A* will increase slightly due to the A* students no really be fazed by the new spec and ‘hard’ questions. They’ll undoubtedly be more prepared than last years top students so would have had an additional boost. I feel that for A/B grade students, the new style will pose more of a challenge to them so will affect them more. Overall I won’t be surprised if they are very much similar to last years +- 1-5 marks for each boundary

Yes I agree, I think that the A* students (15% or so) would have been able to do most of the questions in the papers fine.
I don't see the grade boundaries going up from last year, if anything, they will drop, though only slightly for an A* and as the grades go down, the drop will increase.
Yes I agree, I think that the top students (15% or so) would have been able to do most of the questions in the papers fine.

The top 15% would be lots of further with a minority SM students so I’m worried we could see extreme skew... most people in further probably got 250+
Yes I agree, I think that the A* students (15% or so) would have been able to do most of the questions in the papers fine.

You think they will go up by 9 marks? Are you certain or are you just taking an educated guess, while being fully aware that they could potentially be well off? Sorry, I get anxious when I see stuff like this :confused:.
I can't see an A* going up because if you look at paper 2 last year, an A* was a 77. It seemed to be more doable than the pure papers of this year, which could potentially indicate a drop in pure grade boundaries. What do you think? Does it sound like a plausible idea?
A* : 236
A : 193
B : 161

Love this idea!
The top 15% would be lots of further with a minority SM students so I’m worried we could see extreme skew... most people in further probably got 250+

Paper 2 last year needed 77 for an A*, I don't know about you, but this years pure papers seemed to be a fair bit more difficult than that. Given applied was easier, so I see grade boundaries more or less staying around the same (maybe dropping slightly).
Original post by FK_2017

I can't see an A* going up because if you look at paper 2 last year, an A* was a 77. It seemed to be more doable than the pure papers of this year, which could potentially indicate a drop in pure grade boundaries. What do you think? Does it sound like a plausible idea?

Not really tbh.
And no I’m not certain, it’s just a guess.
Original post by FK_2017
You think they will go up by 9 marks? Are you certain or are you just taking an educated guess, while being fully aware that they could potentially be well off? Sorry, I get anxious when I see stuff like this :confused:.

I think it will go up but ONLY SLIGHTLY (like 2/3 marks). Remember it takes a lot to shift boundaries like someone else pointed out earlier. Like A LOT, even by few marks, so they can’t go up massively (more than 10 marks). I think it will go up based on the fact A* students this year had more time to prepare than last years A* students.
A* = 217/300 [72%]
a = 172/300 [57%]
b = 143/300 [48%]
A* - 225
a - 196
b - 168
A* - 175
a - 154
b - 142

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending