The Student Room Group

How can I improve my German Speaking skills?

This is mainly for A level German students but I don't mind if anyone else wants to share their advice (^~^ )

I know it's practice but I want to efficiently practice plus I don't really know what to say when I practice? I want to greatly improve my German Speaking skills before the end of summer so what should I do please?

Any resources are welcomed too.
Go to Germany. Seriously, can you get a summer job over there in a cafe or bar or something.
Original post by Apachecow
Go to Germany. Seriously, can you get a summer job over there in a cafe or bar or something.

I can't (>_< )
Can't is negative. Why not?
Reply 4
See if you can meet anybody online or in your local area who speaks German fluently/as a native speaker. With the internet at your fingertips, there's bound to be a lot of websites for making friends and practicing language exchange.. just be careful!
Original post by Apachecow
Can't is negative. Why not?

Money doesn't grow on trees...
Original post by Racsoix
See if you can meet anybody online or in your local area who speaks German fluently/as a native speaker. With the internet at your fingertips, there's bound to be a lot of websites for making friends and practicing language exchange.. just be careful!

Thank you for your response, I'm worried that I'll just talk to creeps (>_< ) Do you have any websites to recommend please?
Original post by AngelStarfire
This is mainly for A level German students but I don't mind if anyone else wants to share their advice (^~^ )

I know it's practice but I want to efficiently practice plus I don't really know what to say when I practice? I want to greatly improve my German Speaking skills before the end of summer so what should I do please?

Any resources are welcomed too.

Hi, so I'm a native German, maybe I could help out :smile:
Hey, I just finished the A Level and although I obviously am going to have to wait until results day to find out how it went :afraid: one thing that really helped me was forcing myself to speak the language for half an hour a day. We didn't have a language assistant at my school so I made flashcards for all the topics that basically just had questions on them, similar to those you could be asked in the exam. From October onwards in year 13 every day when I came home from school I would sit and answer these questions just talking to myself before I started any other homework. It's kinda boring and you look insane but it does work.
It also helps if you get used to constructing sentences in German quicker so I every time I said something in English I would try and think about how to say it in German - I'm so used to doing this now that I kinda just do it subconsciously even though I've now finished all my exams.
If you're prepping for a specific exam I made quizlets with fancy structures to remember and regurgitate. Easygerman is a great youtube channel that basically consists of conversations with german people and you can just steal idioms and good structures.

Hope that's useful! I obviously don't know how I've done gradewise yet, but just speaking for 30 mins a day, no matter how stupid I felt, really helped and I improved tons over the year.
Original post by mistysky06
Hey, I just finished the A Level and although I obviously am going to have to wait until results day to find out how it went :afraid: one thing that really helped me was forcing myself to speak the language for half an hour a day. We didn't have a language assistant at my school so I made flashcards for all the topics that basically just had questions on them, similar to those you could be asked in the exam. From October onwards in year 13 every day when I came home from school I would sit and answer these questions just talking to myself before I started any other homework. It's kinda boring and you look insane but it does work.
It also helps if you get used to constructing sentences in German quicker so I every time I said something in English I would try and think about how to say it in German - I'm so used to doing this now that I kinda just do it subconsciously even though I've now finished all my exams.
If you're prepping for a specific exam I made quizlets with fancy structures to remember and regurgitate. Easygerman is a great youtube channel that basically consists of conversations with german people and you can just steal idioms and good structures.

Hope that's useful! I obviously don't know how I've done gradewise yet, but just speaking for 30 mins a day, no matter how stupid I felt, really helped and I improved tons over the year.

Honestly, thank you so much! I really appreciate this!
hi

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending