The Student Room Group
Original post by LOLOLOLOL6867
I have just finished my GCSEs. I am extremely dissapointed with my results. I got:5 In English Lit6 In English Lang4 in Maths6 in Bio/Chem/Phys8 in Geography4 in RE8 in Business. What are the resit policies for GCSE in order to study medicine?If I get predicted 3a*s with a high ucat and bmat score. do i still have a chance of studying medicine.

You will be fine just avoid the schools which emphasise GCSE which is less than half so plenty to choose from. may even be down to being off limits to about 20%. Not worth me doing an audit.
How come you have your results?
I would probably retake Maths to get it to a 6. Take it this November.
GCSE results are not out yet so did you do them last year? We looked into all the different options and I can tell you your chances are not over. lots of Med schools don't even look at GCSE's. Work hard at your A levels and maybe you will need to take a Gap year. You can also get in by doing an access to health Care course that you can do at college when you are older you need a 4 in maths and english to get onto that. Good luck.
Reply 3
All you need to do is find a place that will let you do the required a levels with your current gcse grades. I'm sure there are plenty
Guys for those asking it is the grades i think i got in my GCSEs. I am thinking of retaking maths. do u guys know if there is a gcse retake policy for universities to study medicine?
Reply 5
you haven't got your results yet, relax. when you get them AND have your UCAT/BMAT results and your predicted grades, then you can think about where to apply.

for now, relax and enjoy your summer. there is always another route into medicine, getting bad results is not the end.
Reply 6
Wait until you get your results, not one can tell what their grades will be due to the averaging out the boards do. Once you have the results you can do your readjustment. You may not need to resit, but that option is available to you, also further education.
Reply 7
just wait 2 months its really not hard. stop posting threads with little to no reality within them.
I have just finished my GCSEs. I am extremely dissapointed with my results. I got:5 In English Lit6 In English Lang4 in Maths6 in Bio/Chem/Phys8 in Geography4 in RE8 in Business. What are the resit policies for GCSE in order to study medicine?If I get predicted 3a*s with a high ucat and bmat score. do i still have a chance of studying medicine.
Reply 8
You will be fine and there are always other routes in uni to prepare you for studying medicine if they don’t accept the grades like a years foundation course 😉
I got a 6 in english language, maths, physics, geography. I got a 8 in business. i got a 5 in english literature RE biology and chemistry. Currently Studying A LEVEL BIO CHEM MATHS. Can i study medicine?
is it realistic??
I got a 6 in english language, maths, physics, geography. I got a 8 in business. i got a 5 in english literature RE biology and chemistry. Currently Studying A LEVEL BIO CHEM MATHS. Can i study medicine?

Im kinda in the same situation but i think you need to retake biology, chemistry. Im retaking biology and maths since i want an 8 in maths and a 7 in biology. But with the a levels you are studying you can just get your good alevel grades and work experience and the resit for bio and chem will let you study medicine as they want mainly 6's and maybe 3 A's. So yeah get those A's in bio and chemistry in your retake. Also don't apply for Oxford since they usually expect all a* in your gcse and a level, so choose cambridge if you wanna apply to oxbridge.
(edited 4 years ago)
what do unis think about resitting GCSEs

So i called some uni's like kings college and most of them don't mind infact they encourage you to get the better grades cuz you are competing with all a* students so yh do it.

I need to ask tho how are you doing chemistry and biology because im doing it private since i got a 5 in it.
is it realistic??

I’m gonna be honest and say your results are below average. Most people applying are a* students, and out of 1000 people applying only 100 of them get in. you should work the best you can at a level (aim for high grades) do a lot of work experience, do great ukcats and pick out unis that don’t emphasise on GCSEs. If the worst comes to worst you should take a gap year and resit your GCSEs don’t do it over a level, as a levels are difficult and important. Try your hardest, and don’t think too much about it. Good luck focus on your studies
Be harsh and don't cut corners I just want to know if I can realistically apply to do medicine.
Maths -8
Biology-7
Chemistry-8
Physics-7
English Language-8
English Literature-7
History-9
Classical Civilisation-7
Religious Education-8
Computer Science-7

What I done or I am about to do:
Work experience at a care home (6 months) Done
Paid work (retail store) Done
(Hospital work experience) starting in February Half term
I volunteer at a charity shop (started in November)

What I want to do:
I'm looking into if I can volunteer at a hospice and a dementia clinic/ward.
Looking to see if I can do some work experience at a Local GP I emailed quite a couple waiting for a response.
Attend some lectures
Do an online MOOC

So I got all 7/8/9 but my gut instinct is telling me whilst these are not a disappointing set of grades they are sub-par when applying to do medicine.
So are these grades OK?
I know this sounds weird but I do not have any hobbies whatsoever so what are some good extracurricular activities I can participate in?

Are these Universities within my range (They are my top choices as you can see I want to study in London)
Queen Mary
Imperial
St George

What universities won't judge my GCSES to heavily?
Also quite curious is there a statistic for the proportion of 7/8/9s a medicine applicant has?
Wrong thread apologies.

Latest