Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Last edited by Ethan Shapiro; 1 year ago
sweeneyrod
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Ethan Shapiro)
I am an American who will be beginning my studies at the University of St Andrews this fall, however, I am increasingly unsure of whether or not my choice of uni was the right one. I previously entertained applying to Cambridge, however, as it was not on the Common Application, my school's counseling office did not allow me the chance to apply--though I am now realizing that I should have fought harder for Cambridge as it appears to be a better fit. I have two AP tests, a 4 and a 5, and as my school does not offer AP courses and because I was not expecting to go to Cambridge, I did not sit for any further--costly--AP exams this year. If I do well in my courses at St Andrews (17+), will I be able to receive an unconditional offer if I apply to Cambridge as a first year this fall, or will be I still need to take AP tests? Will Cambridge even entertain my application if I have already spent time as a uni student? Any and all advice appreciated--thank you in advance!
See here - "Cambridge Colleges will only, as a matter of principle, consider applications from students enrolled in a degree course at other UK universities in very exceptional circumstances". Also, note that the minimum entry requirement for Americans doing AP tests is five 5's.
Ethan Shapiro
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
I am aware of the entry requirement, though that is for an unconditional offer, I know of several kids at other schools who applied with the same scores I did and were made conditional offers. Will I still need AP scores to apply, or will they accept demonstrably good uni marks in lieu of those?
(Original post by sweeneyrod)
See here - "Cambridge Colleges will only, as a matter of principle, consider applications from students enrolled in a degree course at other UK universities in very exceptional circumstances". Also, note that the minimum entry requirement for Americans doing AP tests is five 5's.
threeportdrift
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I am aware of the entry requirement, though that is for an unconditional offer, I know of several kids at other schools who applied with the same scores I did and were made conditional offers. Will I still need AP scores to apply, or will they accept demonstrably good uni marks in lieu of those?
They will need the same scores. A single year of undergrad, let alone the first year of a Scottish undergrad won't cut it.
Ethan Shapiro
Rep:
?
Are there distinct differences between Scottish undergrad and English? Such snobbery is off-putting, and my question isn't too ridiculous, after all, AP tests are simply "college level" exams, so it isn't folly to think that legitimate college credit attained at a college would suffice in lieu. Thank you.
(Original post by threeportdrift)
They will need the same scores. A single year of undergrad, let alone the first year of a Scottish undergrad won't cut it.
threeportdrift
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Yes, there are differences between the Scottish and English University systems. The Scottish system allows students to go up to university a year earlier than English Universities. Basically, if you are doing well in the sixth form, you can go to university in Scotland aged 17 versus 18. Therefore the first year at Scottish Universities is only the equivalent to the final year at School in the English educational system. It is also quite common to start Scottish Unis in their second year, having completed both years of sixth form.

So Scottish 1st year = English final year in school, Scottish 2nd year = English first year, Scottish 3rd Year = English 2nd year, Scottish 4th year = English 3rd year.

You can also leave with an Ordinary degree in Scotland after your third year. If you leave and English university with and ordinary degree, by and large it is not worth anything professionally.

It is unwise to presume that one organisation's equivalencies are the same all over. Often different educational systems take quite different views of what is equivalent and what isn't, especially in light of examples like the Scottish and English university systems, which use the same terms for very different things.
Last edited by threeportdrift; 2 years ago
MadClown
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
If you're studying in a UK university, you still need to meet the minimum requirement just like the applicants applying from your country, America.
For applicants applying from some countries like Kuwait or South Korea, a high school diploma isn't enough to apply so they have to study in their local universities for a year to meet the admissions requirement. This isn't the case for American, British, European applicants so you'd have to take more APs.
Ethan Shapiro
Rep:
?
Thank you! So would I be made an unconditional offer, or should I just give up on Cam?
(Original post by Jom24214)
If you're studying in a UK university, you still need to meet the minimum requirement just like the applicants applying from your country, America.
For applicants applying from some countries like Kuwait or South Korea, a high school diploma isn't enough to apply so they have to study in their local universities for a year to meet the admissions requirement. This isn't the case for American, British, European applicants so you'd have to take more APs.
MadClown
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Thank you! So would I be made an unconditional offer, or should I just give up on Cam?

If you state on your UCAS (UK version of Common App) that you'll take more APs so you'd meet the Cambridge requirement, and you've done a great job on your interviews, you'd be given a conditional offer.
They won't give you an unconditional offer as you currently don't meet their entry requirement.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How would you feel if uni students needed to be double vaccinated to start in Autumn?

I'd feel reassured about my own health (17)
17.71%
I'd feel reassured my learning may be less disrupted by isolations/lockdowns (27)
28.13%
I'd feel less anxious about being around large groups (9)
9.38%
I don't mind if others are vaccinated or not (10)
10.42%
I'm concerned it may disadvantage some students (5)
5.21%
I think it's an unfair expectation (26)
27.08%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (2)
2.08%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed