I'm depressed, should i study?

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 9 months ago
Family dont think i am capable of studying a levels because i got sick halfway and i am depressed at the thought that i cant study again amd have to leave education at 17. Brother in law says "say you're depressed and get a doctors note and leave". Won't staying at home make you more depressed though?
-_alex_-
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
I wouldn’t recommend staying at home if studying is what you want to do, it’s best to see your GP about it and seek advice, help and support from qualified professionals who deal with these issues on a daily basis and know how to help you. Depression has a tendency to create and maintain a cycle that feeds into itself, if you allow this to happen then things often get worse before they get better. For example maybe because of your depression you leave school and take some time off, then before you know it you feel like you’ve missed out, and the regret that you feel from doing what your depression wanted makes you feel more depressed and isolated.

People who have no experience of depression tend not to give the best advice.. seek support from your GP so they can put you in touch with qualified professionals who can help you think through your problems in a way that will help.
Last edited by -_alex_-; 9 months ago
Anonymous #2
Report 9 months ago
I suffer from depression, PTSD, anxiety, selective mutism and suicidal thoughts but you know what? I decided to stay in education. I wanted to kill myself in yr11 and although I still have suicidal thoughts I'm going to college and I'm finishing my first year with the highest grades Some days are really hard and I'm late for my lessons or I'm just sitting doing nothing ,but I'm studying subject that I like and this helps me to focus on different things than my problems and bad thoughts... I think that sitting at home is very bad and usually it makes you much more depressed. I recommend you to go to college and pick the subject that you really like. Don't listen to your family. If I was able to finish my first year you will be able to finish your college too
rjckk
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
I suffer from depression, PTSD, anxiety, selective mutism and suicidal thoughts but you know what? I decided to stay in education. I wanted to kill myself in yr11 and although I still have suicidal thoughts I'm going to college and I'm finishing my first year with the highest grades Some days are really hard and I'm late for my lessons or I'm just sitting doing nothing ,but I'm studying subject that I like and this helps me to focus on different things than my problems and bad thoughts... I think that sitting at home is very bad and usually it makes you much more depressed. I recommend you to go to college and pick the subject that you really like. Don't listen to your family. If I was able to finish my first year you will be able to finish your college too
I`m sorry to hear that. Is your suicide thought severe?
cheesecakelove
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
Family dont think i am capable of studying a levels because i got sick halfway and i am depressed at the thought that i cant study again amd have to leave education at 17. Brother in law says "say you're depressed and get a doctors note and leave". Won't staying at home make you more depressed though?
Only you know what you are capable of. Have you sought help for your depression? If you feel ready to return to your studies, then do so, but at your own pace.
Anonymous #2
Report 9 months ago
(Original post by rjckk)
I`m sorry to hear that. Is your suicide thought severe?
Yeah but I have support from CAMHS and my mentor (in college). Soon I'll be put on medicines so I hope I'll be fine...
rjckk
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
Yeah but I have support from CAMHS and my mentor (in college). Soon I'll be put on medicines so I hope I'll be fine...
I`m glad you have support.I hope you fine,too
rjckk
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
(Original post by cheesecakelove)
Only you know what you are capable of. Have you sought help for your depression? If you feel ready to return to your studies, then do so, but at your own pace.
Wow, are you helping suicidals?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now? (select all that apply)

Lack of purpose or routine (75)
15.18%
Uncertainty around my education (82)
16.6%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (45)
9.11%
Isolating with family (32)
6.48%
Lack of support system (eg. Teachers, counsellors) (21)
4.25%
Lack of exercise/ability to be outside (40)
8.1%
Loneliness (48)
9.72%
Financial worries (18)
3.64%
Concern about myself or my loved ones getting ill (49)
9.92%
Exposure to negative news/social media (34)
6.88%
Lack of real life entertainment (eg. cinema, gigs, restaurants) (50)
10.12%

Watched Threads