Beezee15
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
On my certificate it says English - C and underneath it says Speaking and Listening - D

Does that mean my overall English Language GCSE is a C for me to qualify get into college? Or is the Speaking and Listening part throwing a spanner in the works?

Thanks
mjhmichael18
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
That means you have to retake your Speaking and Listening assessment but you do not have to retake your English Language GCSE exams unless you want a grade higher than a C then you do.
Davy611
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
A blast from the past. As I recall, the late nineties (at least) up until about 2003 saw a separate certification of 'Speaking and Listening' awarded within English. From 2003 to about 2014, this was subsumed into the wider English Language GCSE qualification. As these things tend to, now it's outside of the central qualification again and students receive a 'Pass/Merit/Distinction' for public speaking.

The central English GCSE at C grade is the key one and that should secure your place on a college course.

I'm not sure how much value colleges place on the 'Spoken Language' now. This is from AQA:

'From first teaching in September 2015, GCSE English Language will have an endorsed component covering Spoken Language. This endorsement will be reported as a separate grade (Pass, Merit, Distinction or Not Classified) and will not contribute to the result of the GCSE English Language qualification.'

Maybe someone who works in a post-16 institution could shed light on the matter?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (96)
28.24%
No - I have already returned home (44)
12.94%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (65)
19.12%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (34)
10%
No - I live at home during term anyway (101)
29.71%

Watched Threads