SKE? Who decides and when might it start? Slightly concerned... Watch

Wiwyum
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
Hi all,

I successfully applied for a Geography PGCE which begins on the 9th September.

During my interview, which was as early as February 9th, I discussed my want to enroll on an SKE course, which I assumed would be mandatory given that I hold an MA in U.S History and Politics. My last academic contact with the subject was my A-Level studies, which were in 2005. The interviewer agreed that this was reasonable given my background.

Having just recently jumped all the pre-required hurdles (Professional Skills Tests, Criminal Background Checks and Medical Checks etc.), I assumed that I might soon start an SKE course, but as of yet there seems to be absolutely no mention of it whatsoever by the university.

Though I have since received confirmation letters, a survey to deduce my best placement school etc., no one has suggested anything of the sort... and I'm somewhat concerned that this is an administrative oversight, rather than an active decision by the institution.

My interview process did include a very basic Geography test, which I may have perhaps scored reasonably well in... but surely this would not constitute sufficient proof of an overall subject knowledge?

In any case, is it wise to assume that my university doesn't feel I need the SKE, and just go on without mentioning it? If I do mention it, and it is considered an administrative oversight... can the university renege on their offer based on a lack of subject knowledge? Is there even enough time to complete a worthy level of SKE course in the remaining weeks until the PGCE begins?

Ultimately, I'm concerned about how best to handle the situation and how best to broach the subject so as not to prejudice my current offer.

Thanks for taking the time to read this, and for any help/advice on the matter.

EDIT: It might be worth mentioning that the deadline the university gave me for completing my skills tests (and thus my application) was the 29th May 2019. I was expecting that they might begin the SKE process after this date, but in the 2.5 weeks since then.... zilch.
Last edited by Wiwyum; 4 weeks ago
SarcAndSpark
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
If the uni want you to do an SKE, it will have been mentioned as a condition of your offer. It's then up to you to organise starting (and completing) the course with an approved provider.

If it's not mentioned in your offer, then the uni can't withdraw your place. If it is, and you don't do it, then this will be considered your oversight and you won't get the place.

If it's not mentioned in your offer, but you think this might be an oversight, then I'd consider contacting the uni, just to be sure.
Wiwyum
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
(Original post by SarcAndSpark)
If the uni want you to do an SKE, it will have been mentioned as a condition of your offer. It's then up to you to organise starting (and completing) the course with an approved provider.

If it's not mentioned in your offer, then the uni can't withdraw your place. If it is, and you don't do it, then this will be considered your oversight and you won't get the place.

If it's not mentioned in your offer, but you think this might be an oversight, then I'd consider contacting the uni, just to be sure.
My initial offer was conditional on 2 things:

-GCSE Certificate for English (which I misplaced and had to reorder)
-Passing Professional Skills Test

After having provided the certificate and passed the tests, my offer was made "Unconditional". During this time there has been no mention of SKE.

I would assume then that they don't want me to complete one, despite having agreed with my suggestion of taking an SKE course during the interview.

In your experience, is an unconditional offer withheld until completion of an SKE? Or must one hold an unconditional offer prior to the SKE?
Sceptical_John
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Wiwyum)

After having provided the certificate and passed the tests, my offer was made "Unconditional". During this time there has been no mention of SKE.

I would assume then that they don't want me to complete one, despite having agreed with my suggestion of taking an SKE course during the interview.

In your experience, is an unconditional offer withheld until completion of an SKE? Or must one hold an unconditional offer prior to the SKE?
The best answer to any of these sort of questions is to speak to your admissions contact. That said, it doesn't make sense for an unconditional offer to be withheld until a condition is met.
SarcAndSpark
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago

If they wanted you to do an SKE, it would be a condition of your offer- you must hold a conditional offer to start an SKE.

If you're really unsure, I'd contact the uni, but it sounds like they decided you didn't need to do an SKE after all.
meaghan sharp
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
I wouldn't assume anything. I don't think that it will detract in any way if you speak directly to the administrators and ask them what needs to be done. The best outcome would be that they confirm that they don't think you need SKE and the worst is they explain to you that you need to organise it yourself.

Good luck either way
Nulhypothesis
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago

Hi be careful they might want you to find one, if you want to do a SKE give Darwin an email.

I did mine with them and it really helped.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (148)
17.58%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (75)
8.91%
No I am happy with my course choice (498)
59.14%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (121)
14.37%

Watched Threads