War veteran visited by police after Twitter joke about Brexit Watch

z-hog
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
A Falklands veteran was visited by police after making a joke about Brexit. Tony McNally, 57, tweeted: Maybe it’s time for a military coup to sort Brexit out’. He was shocked when two officers from Cumbria Constabulary came to his house to give some advice. ‘The tweet was just a *tongue-in-cheek, off-*the-cuff re*mark,’ Tony told The Sun.
https://metro.co.uk/2019/06/17/war-v...rexit-9987695/

Who said the cops don't have the resources to fight crime?
Andrew97
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
For goodness sake.
Future Physics
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
The police should never have to deal with this... just move on if you're offended by something you see online.
DarthRoar
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
"Yo I wanna throw battery acid on nige farage" *crickets*
"Lol time for a military coup to sort this brexit out" *police visits*

Society.
SHallowvale
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Two investigators turn up to his house, one of them gives him advice on posting online and then they left with no further action to be taken.

Sure, you could call this a waste of time but it's hardly a huge deal. I'm betting that someone complained about his tweet and that this was standard procedure to follow.

Not sure what him being a veteran has to do with anything.
SHallowvale
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by DarthRoar)

Society.
The police did investigate it though. They decided to take no further action, just like in the above case.
the bear
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Brexit smells like a tramp's underpants.

Come at me Cressida ****

:kungfu:
Trotsky's Iceaxe
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Z-hog last week: getting upset that a Jo Brand joke is not being taken seriously.

Z-hog this week: getting upset because a twitter joke is being taken too seriously.

Both are complete non-stories, but it gives the perennially outraged something to complain about.
James2312
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by SHallowvale)
Two investigators turn up to his house, one of them gives him advice on posting online and then they left with no further action to be taken.

Sure, you could call this a waste of time but it's hardly a huge deal. I'm betting that someone complained about his tweet and that this was standard procedure to follow.

Not sure what him being a veteran has to do with anything.
But the point is that the police should not be giving advice on what you can post online.Its a waste of resources and nothing to do with them anyway.Neither should they have opened an investigation into Jo Brands comments.The fact that we have police actively investigating jokes should be shocking.Its Orwellian and totalitarian whichever side of the political spectrum you are on.
SHallowvale
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by James2312)
But the point is that the police should not be giving advice on what you can post online.Its a waste of resources and nothing to do with them anyway.Neither should they have opened an investigation into Jo Brands comments.The fact that we have police actively investigating jokes should be shocking.Its Orwellian and totalitarian whichever side of the political spectrum you are on.
Sure, I don't necessarily disagree with that. As I already said, this was a waste of their time.

What I'm pointing out is that the action of the police speaking to the guy, whilst a waste of time, isn't a huge deal in and of itself. It's not Orwellian and totalitarian, those are too harsh words to describe a no further action police visit! xD
z-hog
Rep:
?
What if someone had written that in here, could they potentially get a visit from the police?
Azatar
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Somehow I doubt that was his only 'dubious' posting.
Being a veteran doesn't elevate you to moral superiority. You can almost smell the Gammon, going straight to the S*N
TheNamesBond.
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Aha, war veteran, well, I know what side I'm on.

Pfft
z-hog
Rep:
?
(Original post by Trotsky's Iceaxe)
Z-hog last week: getting upset that a Jo Brand joke is not being taken seriously.

Z-hog this week: getting upset because a twitter joke is being taken too seriously.

Both are complete non-stories, but it gives the perennially outraged something to complain about.
As a typical lefty, your narrative fundamentally depends upon distorting reality and that is the case with these allegations of 'anger' you guys throw about when there's nothing better to say. We'll have to disagree they are non-stories, there is an awful lot of stuff going into this mix.
z-hog
Rep:
?
(Original post by Azatar)
Somehow I doubt that was his only 'dubious' posting.
Being a veteran doesn't elevate you to moral superiority. You can almost smell the Gammon, going straight to the S*N
He wasn't investigated for being a veteran and if the Sun frame it that way it doesn't change anything to the substance of the story, just saying this before the diversion gets too long winded. You find his posting dubious?
999tigger
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by DarthRoar)

Society.
One was a poor joke on a comedy show and they did investigate.
One appeared from an unknown and it may be picked up automatically, they just checked it out. If He had been part of a terrorist cell or some extremist then the police would be getting all the blame for not investigating.
z-hog
Rep:
?
(Original post by 999tigger)
One was a poor joke on a comedy show and they did investigate.
One appeared from an unknown and it may be picked up automatically, they just checked it out. If He had been part of a terrorist cell or some extremist then the police would be getting all the blame for not investigating.
It's not fair to try and make them just the same in nature, is it? One was the endorsement of an act of violence on a politician with 'comical' hints at preferable more painful ways broadcast by the BBC and the other... was nothing of the sort.

I don't even get what the investigation is supposed to be about, does anyone? Did these two (2) coppers go over to check he wasn't plotting a military coup, did Brand have her place turned over to check there was no stockpile of batteries she couldn't explain?
999tigger
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by z-hog)
It's not fair to try and make them just the same in nature, is it? One was the endorsement of an act of violence on a politician with 'comical' hints at preferable more painful ways broadcast by the BBC and the other... was nothing of the sort.

I don't even get what the investigation is supposed to be about, does anyone? Did these two (2) coppers go over to check he wasn't plotting a military coup, did Brand have her place turned over to check there was no stockpile of batteries she couldn't explain?
It was a joke in context of being on a comedy programme.

The other was an out of the blue comment posted on a public forum and without context by an unknown person.
Once the police had seen who it was they left, end of.

Again you didnt understand last time and you continue to fail to understand that Brand was investigated for crime of incitement, which I told you at the time did not amount to such.
z-hog
Rep:
?
(Original post by 999tigger)
The other was an out of the blue comment posted on a public forum and without context by an unknown person.
Once the police had seen who it was they left, end of.
Hence my question and in your own terms, had someone written that on TSR and could they be exposed to a police visit? It wouldn't have been even one of the top one hundred controversial posts of the month, nobody would have batted an eyelid. However, had someone complained about it to the police and... it would be fine for them to come round and leave, end of? Once 'they'd seen who you are', that was fine? Really?
ltsmith
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
no police visit for lefty jo brand who made a joke about acid attacks
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (156)
17.63%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (76)
8.59%
No I am happy with my course choice (526)
59.44%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (127)
14.35%

Watched Threads