How do I prepare for English Literature A-Level? Watch

liaente
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
Please bare with me because I'm planning to go to one of the two very competitive schools and I want to be ready.
Here's my ordeal: I've never been a fanatic with reading books, I've always shut the book when my parents read to me as a child, I was more active and so on.
I just want someone to tell me their tips, tricks, advice...
And also should I read classic books?? :/ If so, could you please recommend some for me? I heard "war & peace" is good, but idk what it's about...
Davy611
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
If you have aspirations to do an A-Level in English Literature, I definitely think you should at least 'enjoy' reading. You probably don't have to 'have a passion' for it but it's obviously going to be pretty significant.

The wider you read, the better prepared you'll be. I don't think there's any great need to launch straight into 'War and Peace'. It's a tough read. It's okay but it's a slog at times.

Why not find out from friends, or just ask the institutions, what's on the course list and read those, or around those, in preparation. 'Othello' is a popular choice at A-Level. Watch the film, read some essays about it and, of course, read the play. 'Death of a Salesman' is popular too. There'll be a wide variety of poems, I'm sure. In terms of classics, try some of the more accessible ones over the summer. 'Wuthering Heights' is a must, you might like 'Pride and Prejudice'. Try some Dickens: 'A Tale of Two Cities' is pretty readable.

Or my personal favourite, 'The Count of Monte Cristo' by Dumas.
liaente
Rep:
?
Thank you so much for the recommendations. I don't know really why I don't have a passion for it. I should, my whole family likes reading. It's just Eng Lit has always been my strongest subject, so I took it so it's not that hard for me I guess. I'll try reading, but sometimes I can't get immersed in it if it's like really tough to understand and stuff.
(Original post by Davy611)
If you have aspirations to do an A-Level in English Literature, I definitely think you should at least 'enjoy' reading. You probably don't have to 'have a passion' for it but it's obviously going to be pretty significant.

The wider you read, the better prepared you'll be. I don't think there's any great need to launch straight into 'War and Peace'. It's a tough read. It's okay but it's a slog at times.

Why not find out from friends, or just ask the institutions, what's on the course list and read those, or around those, in preparation. 'Othello' is a popular choice at A-Level. Watch the film, read some essays about it and, of course, read the play. 'Death of a Salesman' is popular too. There'll be a wide variety of poems, I'm sure. In terms of classics, try some of the more accessible ones over the summer. 'Wuthering Heights' is a must, you might like 'Pride and Prejudice'. Try some Dickens: 'A Tale of Two Cities' is pretty readable.

Or my personal favourite, 'The Count of Monte Cristo' by Dumas.
Davy611
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Totally. Maybe you just haven't 'found' your book. Some people get really into Jane Austen. I always preferred 'Wuthering Heights' in school. 'The Mayor of Casterbridge' is quite good as well. There'll probably be a more modern text on the curriculum as well: 'The Handmaid's Tale' is on television now (Series 1 is the book) whilst 'Enduring Love' by Ian McEwan has been a film too.

If a book doesn't grip you, and you've given it a chance, it's okay to put it down (unless you've got to write an essay on it).
liaente
Rep:
?
Thanks for putting your time into helping me, this really helped
(Original post by Davy611)
Totally. Maybe you just haven't 'found' your book. Some people get really into Jane Austen. I always preferred 'Wuthering Heights' in school. 'The Mayor of Casterbridge' is quite good as well. There'll probably be a more modern text on the curriculum as well: 'The Handmaid's Tale' is on television now (Series 1 is the book) whilst 'Enduring Love' by Ian McEwan has been a film too.

If a book doesn't grip you, and you've given it a chance, it's okay to put it down (unless you've got to write an essay on it).
amberix
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I'm nearly finished year 12 and I remember thinking the exact same thing! I think the most important quality you can possess is creative and analytical thinking - try watching a show on Netflix and come up with predictions and fan theories, anything helps! I don't read many 'classic' books, now that we are starting coursework I'm trying to read one out of every genre and I'm really enjoying it! To prepare id definitely read as many of the books you are going to study- this came in handy even if you are reading through the book in class as you understand the context better, and saves you lots of 'reading' homework which is a drag! The more you immerse yourself into the novel or play the easier you will find understanding it! Good Luck!
liaente
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
Thanks mate!
(Original post by amberix)
I'm nearly finished year 12 and I remember thinking the exact same thing! I think the most important quality you can possess is creative and analytical thinking - try watching a show on Netflix and come up with predictions and fan theories, anything helps! I don't read many 'classic' books, now that we are starting coursework I'm trying to read one out of every genre and I'm really enjoying it! To prepare id definitely read as many of the books you are going to study- this came in handy even if you are reading through the book in class as you understand the context better, and saves you lots of 'reading' homework which is a drag! The more you immerse yourself into the novel or play the easier you will find understanding it! Good Luck!
amberix
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
No problem! If you're doing any of the same texts as me, I have a website which my friends and I created recently for the revision resources we have made - feel free to use that if needed as well! Good luck!
(Original post by liaente)
Thanks mate!
Tolgarda
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Let me get this straight, you're going to be taking A Level English literature in a competitive school, but you're not exactly an avid reader? What? Boy, you better hope you start to enjoy reading more, or else this A Level is going to be hell. I'm studying the subject at A Level now, and while I don't mind reading, this truly tests your passion for reading. You'll find this subject can become a pain in the a** if you aren't independent enough. I thought I was good at GCSE with a decent score of around 96%. Nope. Welcome to a whole new world of difficulty.

I tell you this because I wish someone had told me. Prepare yourself.
Last edited by Tolgarda; 3 weeks ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 31 Jul '19
  • Staffordshire University
    Postgraduate open event - Stoke-on-Trent campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 7 Aug '19
  • University of Derby
    Foundation Open Event Further education
    Wed, 7 Aug '19

Are cats selfish