The Student Room Group

History A-Level (a fledgling need of help)

Hiya, so I chose History for A-Level. I didn't want to at first because I got overwhelmed when people talked about the "MASSIVE content". Any tips and advice for it??
Original post by liaente
Hiya, so I chose History for A-Level. I didn't want to at first because I got overwhelmed when people talked about the "MASSIVE content". Any tips and advice for it??

If it interests you then it will be easy. If you find the subject boring then you shouldnt have chosen it and it will be painful to do.

1. Excellent consistent notes.
2. Learn how to write essays.
3. Learn how to analyse events.
4. Learn to thing in terms of not just facts but ideas like cause and effect or why people did what they did.
5. Learn how to research.
6. Learn how to put yourself in someone elses shoes so you can see different perspectives. Things arent always black and white.

Once you have a good set of basic notes, then you can also add important facts plus other peoples views and arguments.

Once you understand events, then you can move on to exam papers and essay construction.

If you deal with the above and work consistently through the year then you wont get left behind. History at A levels is less about memorising facts, but more about interpreting them and having an opinion you are able to back up.
Reply 2
Thank you!!!! This was a massive help! :biggrin:
Original post by 999tigger
If it interests you then it will be easy. If you find the subject boring then you shouldnt have chosen it and it will be painful to do.

1. Excellent consistent notes.
2. Learn how to write essays.
3. Learn how to analyse events.
4. Learn to thing in terms of not just facts but ideas like cause and effect or why people did what they did.
5. Learn how to research.
6. Learn how to put yourself in someone elses shoes so you can see different perspectives. Things arent always black and white.

Once you have a good set of basic notes, then you can also add important facts plus other peoples views and arguments.

Once you understand events, then you can move on to exam papers and essay construction.

If you deal with the above and work consistently through the year then you wont get left behind. History at A levels is less about memorising facts, but more about interpreting them and having an opinion you are able to back up.

Quick Reply

Latest