P95 – Convert the UK driving system from miles and mph to kilometres and km/h Watch

This discussion is closed.
Glaz
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago

What is this thread about?
This is a petition in the Model House of Commons (MHoC). It's a proposal submitted by an ordinary TSR user, that is first debated and then voted on. All are welcome and encouraged to ask questions about the petition's content and join in the debate – you don't have to be in a party or be an MP to do so. Anyyone who isn't an MP can submit a petition – and you can do that very easily by using the petition tool.

What is the MHoC?
It's a political role-playing game where we pretend to be the House of Commons, and it's been going since 2005. We have formed parties, we have elections twice a year, and we debate bills and motions just like the real-life parliament. If you want to know more about how the MHoC works, your first port of call is the user manual. If you'd like to get involved and possibly join a party, you want the welcome thread.

P95 – Convert the UK driving system from miles and mph to kilometres and km/h, Glaz
Convert the UK driving system from miles and mph to kilometres and km/h

This petition calls on the government to enforce new laws changing the official speed system from miles per hour to kilometres per hour.

Less than 10% of the world uses mph and km/h is genuinely a much easier method of measuring speed. It is much simpler to learn than mph as there are an equal number of meters in a kilometre but not in a mile, and yards are not usually used any more.
Last edited by Saracen's Fez; 4 weeks ago
Kim~Shawn Mendes
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
good idea but no i prefer miles
Andrew97
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Never!
AperfectBalance
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Absolutely not
AThomas911
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Nope
JohanGRK
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Dunno if I'm allowed to post in this forum but can you please let the British feel special for once?

But I should add that imperial units are for retards
Last edited by JohanGRK; 4 weeks ago
Glaz
Rep:
?
Not very good reception :unimpressed:
AperfectBalance
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by JohanGRK)
Dunno if I'm allowed to post in this forum but can you please let the British feel special for once?
We should already feel special for being the most important country to ever exist and for having a history that easily rivals most others.
Andrew97
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
You’re allowed fo post, you just won’t be allowed to vote.
Good bloke
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Glaz)
[field defaultattr=] there are an equal number of meters in a kilometer but not in a mile
[/field]
You appear to be claiming that some miles have more yards in them than others. You seem confused, and you have not told us how much this proposal would cost.
Sharpnesse
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
What are you doing that you have to measure the amount of yards you're driving and converting from miles?

Most people in the country have no idea how long a kilometer is, I can't even use kilograms properly. In addition to that all our speedometers are made with mph first, so everybody would be squinting at the dash to figure out what speed they're going in the new EUnits.

In conclusion - balls to that.
Glaz
Rep:
?
(Original post by Sharpnesse)
What are you doing that you have to measure the amount of yards you're driving and converting from miles?

Most people in the country have no idea how long a kilometer is, I can't even use kilograms properly. In addition to that all our speedometers are made with mph first, so everybody would be squinting at the dash to figure out what speed they're going in the new EUnits.

In conclusion - balls to that.
kilo+meter
1000*1
1000 meters
Sharpnesse
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I meant in terms of everyday distance. I can guesstimate about a mile, about half a mile, maybe even a hundred meters give or take a bit. It's so much more conversational too, miles flow off the tongue better than kilometers.
(Original post by Glaz)
kilo+meter
1000*1
1000 meters
Last edited by Sharpnesse; 4 weeks ago
Good bloke
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
But I should add that imperial units are for retards
On the contrary, being able to do mental arithmetic (no calculators) with units that subdivide into eighths. tenths, twelfths, sixteenths, fourteenths, and twentieths is for the adept and the ability to do it is a boon. Children used to take this in their stride. No longer, alas!
JohanGRK
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Good bloke)
On the contrary, being able to do mental arithmetic (no calculators) with units that subdivide into eighths. tenths, twelfths, sixteenths, fourteenths, and twentieths is for the adept and the ability to do it is a boon. Children used to take this in their stride. No longer, alas!
Iirc, one of the most popular arguments back when there was that kerfuffle over metric being used alongside imperial units at supermarkets was that a 'foot' or 'ounce' was something 'instinctively understandable' to the lay man or woman

But I do sympathise with the wider concern about the youths being unable to do mental arithmetic in their heads, read analogue clocks, etc
Good bloke
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
a 'foot' or 'ounce' was something 'instinctively understandable' to the lay man or woman
Just as miles are intrinsically understandable to the present-day motorist.
Notoriety
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Iirc, one of the most popular arguments back when there was that kerfuffle over metric being used alongside imperial units at supermarkets was that a 'foot' or 'ounce' was something 'instinctively understandable' to the lay man or woman

But I do sympathise with the wider concern about the youths being unable to do mental arithmetic in their heads, read analogue clocks, etc
Not my fault they never taught us to read old clocks in my school. You can only do it cos of your 15 Rolexs papa got you for your 6th birthday. Others had to handle a puny Casio.
JohanGRK
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Good bloke)
Just as miles are intrinsically understandable to the present-day motorist.
Miles perhaps, but yards? Such an awkward measurement

But I raised the point to show that the people opposing change are in fact the sort of people who unironically try to use their feet as reference points for anything. Awfully unenlightened, I must say. Thank God the European Project came in to show these heathens the light.
Last edited by JohanGRK; 4 weeks ago
JohanGRK
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Notoriety)
Not my fault they never taught us to read old clocks in my school. You can only do it cos of your 15 Rolexs papa got you for your 6th birthday. Others had to handle a puny Casio.
Surely your school (to keep with the stereotype) should have only had old clocks because the new ones require more expensive batteries and cost money to buy?

Papa didn't think that a Rolex was worthy of my arm - he promised me his Patek. I refuse to wear anything less worthy than that.
Good bloke
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Miles perhaps, but yards? Such an awkward measurement
I make all distance or length estimates in miles, yards, feet or inches, as appropriate. Such natural and useful measurements. I was just listening to the cricket world cup, where the pitch length is a chain, 22 yards. And all the bits on a football field are measured yards (but now expressed in awkward metres).
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are cats selfish

Yes (133)
61.29%
No (84)
38.71%

Watched Threads