Is there a phone number you can call about speeding tickets Watch

Horror
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
Don't know if I've been caught or not but is there a way to find out or do i just wait for a dreaded letter to fall onto my door mat
Joe_01
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Hi there,

I understand the anxiety it’s absolutely horrible especially when you think you’ve been caught but don’t know for sure!

In terms of what happens it depends how you’ve been caught! If you’ve been court by a speed camera you will receive an NIP within 14 days (later than that and you are fine)! If you’ve been stopped by the police they would have explained to you what would happen but generally if it is a first offence and you aren’t going 100mph in a 30 they will most likely give a verbal warning!

This might be some comforting advice for you! If you were just over the speed limit when you went past a camera don’t worry about it too much! A recent report suggested the cameras have the 10% (of the speed limit) plus 2mph leniency meaning if you were driving 34 in a 30 then you will be fine but 36 in a 30 and you will be flashed! Secondly, another report by the BBC and the Guardian in 2017 found that on average only half the speed cameras are actually switched on! However, in future don’t risk it!

I’ve thought I’ve been caught twice before going slightly over the limit by accident and I never got a letter through the post! You can’t really call them up so you will have to wait!

Hope this helps!
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
Last edited by Joe_01; 4 weeks ago
Horror
Rep:
?
(Original post by Joe_01)
Hi there,

I understand the anxiety it’s absolutely horrible especially when you think you’ve been caught but don’t know for sure!

In terms of what happens it depends how you’ve been caught! If you’ve been court by a speed camera you will receive an NIP within 14 days (later than that and you are fine)! If you’ve been stopped by the police they would have explained to you what would happen but generally if it is a first offence and you aren’t going 100mph in a 30 they will most likely give a verbal warning!

This might be some comforting advice for you! If you were just over the speed limit when you went past a camera don’t worry about it too much! A recent report suggested the cameras have the 10% (of the speed limit) plus 2mph leniency meaning if you were driving 34 in a 30 then you will be fine but 36 in a 30 and you will be flashed! Secondly, another report by the BBC and the Guardian in 2017 found that on average only half the speed cameras are actually switched on! However, in future don’t risk it!

I’ve thought I’ve been caught twice before going slightly over the limit by accident and I never got a letter through the post! You can’t really call them up so you will have to wait!

Hope this helps!
It was a 40mph road and I can can guarantee I was doing under 50. It was coming round a wide bend and as soon as I saw him I decreased my speed.
It was last Thursday and haven't received anything in the post yet.

Hopefully I don't! I drive down the road everyday for work and now see multiple mobile vans.
Joe_01
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Horror)
It was a 40mph road and I can can guarantee I was doing under 50. It was coming round a wide bend and as soon as I saw him I decreased my speed.
It was last Thursday and haven't received anything in the post yet.

Hopefully I don't! I drive down the road everyday for work and now see multiple mobile vans.
It depends on when he tagged you then! If you got down to 46 in time you will probably be fine! If you are just above that it’s up to the officer on the camera to decide! He might not have tagged you until you were well below the limit but generally if he can see you he has already tagged you!

You’ll just have to wait the 14 days! After that they can still give you your NIP but it’s unlikely to be enforced if you argue against it!
Horror
Rep:
?
It depends on when he tagged you then! If you got down to 46 in time you will probably be fine! If you are just above that it’s up to the officer on the camera to decide! He might not have tagged you until you were well below the limit but generally if he can see you he has already tagged you!

You’ll just have to wait the 14 days! After that they can still give you your NIP but it’s unlikely to be enforced if you argue against it!
Well, Fingers crossed he didn't. I did slow right down so maybe he will be kind lol.
I just hate that its a waiting game, I would rather just find out and be told.
If I was caught it would be my first offence so maybe ill get a speed awareness course instead of the points.
Fingers Crossed.
IWMTom
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Hi there,

Hope this helps!
Is there any need for you to end every sentence with an exclamation mark? Like.. really?

Just to tack on to the bit in bold, there are a few exceptions to this rule.
Joe_01
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by IWMTom)
Is there any need for you to end every sentence with an exclamation mark? Like.. really?

Just to tack on to the bit in bold, there are a few exceptions to this rule.
Haha it’s literally just a habit I have picked up. You’ll notice I do it with every post. Luckily it’s not the same when it comes to writing stuff down. But just for you I’ve done this all with full stops.

As for the bit you’ve highlighted in bold, yes that’s very true as you see in a later comment I explain how someone can still receive an NIP but it’s more likely to be dropped.
Last edited by Joe_01; 4 weeks ago
IWMTom
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Haha it’s literally just a habit I have picked up. You’ll notice I do it with every post. Luckily it’s not the same when it comes to writing stuff down. But just for you I’ve done this all with full stops.

As for the bit you’ve highlighted in bold, yes that’s very true as you see in a later comment I explain how someone can still receive an NIP but it’s more likely to be dropped.
I was more referring to the OP potentially not being the registered keeper, in which case the NIP would go to a leasing/finance company, or some other third party. In these cases, the law states the NIP only needs to be received by the registered keeper within 14 days - it would have been, and it could take months to show up.

Of course, this could be cleared up if we just ask them!
Joe_01
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by IWMTom)
I was more referring to the OP potentially not being the registered keeper, in which case the NIP would go to a leasing/finance company, or some other third party. In these cases, the law states the NIP only needs to be received by the registered keeper within 14 days - it would have been, and it could take months to show up.

Of course, this could be cleared up if we just ask them!
Ah of course yes, I was assuming they were the RK but very good point!
Nuffles
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I work as a rental operator so I get to handle the "naughty letters" very often. The police do have 14 days to get them sent to the registered keeper, but they'll usually turn up much sooner than that. It's all an automated process these days so the letter is generated within a day or so of the offence and ends up with the registered keeper a day or so after that. So you'll usually get it within 3-4 working days. After the first week you should be in the clear but obviously two weeks is the magic number.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...

Are cats selfish

Yes (139)
61.23%
No (88)
38.77%

Watched Threads