Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
certain I missed my offer
not really sure where to go from here ?
Switzerland29
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
I'm certain I'm in the same boat, so far I've started researching all the clearing options and what other courses are available... it's not great advice but you might want to wait until after results day to actually take any action, all you can do now is perfect your contingency plan. You never know, your might have done fine, even if you do miss the grade you need the university can still give you a place, I'm sure they would try to accommodate you as it's in their best interest too (financially)
Annonymous0932
Rep:
?
(Original post by Switzerland29)
I'm certain I'm in the same boat, so far I've started researching all the clearing options and what other courses are available... it's not great advice but you might want to wait until after results day to actually take any action, all you can do now is perfect your contingency plan. You never know, your might have done fine, even if you do miss the grade you need the university can still give you a place, I'm sure they would try to accommodate you as it's in their best interest too (financially)
I don’t mean to sound too negative but the way my exams have gone I’m almost certain I’ve missed my offer by a mile (my own fault). So at the moment I’m just trying to think of alternative mostly to put my mind at ease, the thing is I don’t even know where to begin.
Switzerland29
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Annonymous0932)
I don’t mean to sound too negative but the way my exams have gone I’m almost certain I’ve missed my offer by a mile (my own fault). So at the moment I’m just trying to think of alternative mostly to put my mind at ease, the thing is I don’t even know where to begin.
Sometimes it pays to be pessimistic, I often make my best plans when thinking in terms of "worst case scenario". If you have missed the grades for your offer it's not a big deal at all, you will be fine, I promise. I'm not sure which course you've applied for but have you considered applying for the foundation year version of the course and taking a gap year? (Provided things don't go to plan on results day). You could also just apply through clearing to some other courses, there is always a bunch and definitely something that will catch your eye. Whatever happens, there is always another path
swanseajack1
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Firstly it depends on how much you have missed your grades by, what grades you are expecting and what and where you are looking to study. Most but not all accept drops of 1 or 2 grades but not for something like Medicine. It is possible that your firm or insurance might accept you with dropped grades. Secondly if you are rejected by both you can look at applying through clearing or if all else fails taking a gap year and applying next year. Not all universities accept repeat years. There could also be the option of Access or Foundation courses. It might be worth looking into clearing closer to results days so you are in a position to apply immediately you know your results.
Annonymous0932
Rep:
?
(Original post by Switzerland29)
Sometimes it pays to be pessimistic, I often make my best plans when thinking in terms of "worst case scenario". If you have missed the grades for your offer it's not a big deal at all, you will be fine, I promise. I'm not sure which course you've applied for but have you considered applying for the foundation year version of the course and taking a gap year? (Provided things don't go to plan on results day). You could also just apply through clearing to some other courses, there is always a bunch and definitely something that will catch your eye. Whatever happens, there is always another path
Thank you. And I completely agree I find that being pessimistic just helps you to prepare for the worst. I applied for chemistry, I have thought about resitting and reapplying to my university if worse comes to worse however I don’t know if I want to take a year out, be a year behind, go through the whole personal statement and A level exam situation again. But then again I don’t think clearing and picking a university last minute could suit me. So I’m a bit stuck really, my insurance and firm are pretty much the same grades which was stupid of me. I felt prepared for exams but the actual exam week, I just flopped unfortunately. I’ve looked into foundation courses but I think in my case they are for students with the right grades in the wrong subjects, clearing seems to be my best bet I just hope there’s some decent courses in there.
swanseajack1
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
what grades are you anticipating getting.
Thank you. And I completely agree I find that being pessimistic just helps you to prepare for the worst. I applied for chemistry, I have thought about resitting and reapplying to my university if worse comes to worse however I don’t know if I want to take a year out, be a year behind, go through the whole personal statement and A level exam situation again. But then again I don’t think clearing and picking a university last minute could suit me. So I’m a bit stuck really, my insurance and firm are pretty much the same grades which was stupid of me. I felt prepared for exams but the actual exam week, I just flopped unfortunately. I’ve looked into foundation courses but I think in my case they are for students with the right grades in the wrong subjects, clearing seems to be my best bet I just hope there’s some decent courses in there.
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 3 weeks ago
certain I missed my offer
not really sure where to go from here ?
You dont know for certain yet if you missed and by how much.
You have provided very few details.
You can miss your offer and still get accepted.

What your options are depend on your results and what you want to do.

1. Clearing.
2. Resit.
3. Get a job or apprenticeship.

Do some research on those and then put it to one side and enjoy the summer.
Annonymous0932
Rep:
?
(Original post by swanseajack1)
Firstly it depends on how much you have missed your grades by, what grades you are expecting and what and where you are looking to study. Most but not all accept drops of 1 or 2 grades but not for something like Medicine. It is possible that your firm or insurance might accept you with dropped grades. Secondly if you are rejected by both you can look at applying through clearing or if all else fails taking a gap year and applying next year. Not all universities accept repeat years. There could also be the option of Access or Foundation courses. It might be worth looking into clearing closer to results days so you are in a position to apply immediately you know your results.
My current situation: I was predicted A*A*AA (which is what I applied with to study Chemistry)
My firm university is imperial college London: A*AA and my insurance is University College London: AAA.
My subjects are welsh baccalaureate, chemistry, maths and physics. UCL accept welsh bacc however imperial do not which is why I’m certain I have missed imperials offer because I don’t feel as if I will have achieved an A in physics or maths.

Now UCL, there is some hope but I still think I missed my offer. I think will have achieved something close to: A*ABD (A* in welsh bacc, possibly an A* in chemistry if not an A, I’m expecting a B in maths but a C wouldn’t surprise me, and physics I think a D is generous it could very well be a U).

My best case scenario is A*A*B and being accepted by UCL (even though I will have missed my offer). However if I get a D in physics I think they will reject me as welsh bacc isn’t really a proper A level so someone else having eg A*A*B (in say maths, chem, physics) would probably be prioritised over me having A*A*BD in welsh bacc, chemistry, maths, physics.

Now say I miss both offers, I’m not sure how good my grades will be for courses in clearing (I have got my eye on Warwick, King’s college London, Swansea and Queen Mary, id prefer London but I don’t know if any of these universities will be in clearing and don’t really expect them to be).

I have already contacted my firm and insurance both of whom have said they accept resit applicants. But I’m a bit wary of resitting, wouldn’t this weaken my application? Also I haven’t done anything that could be put on my personal statement throughout the whole of year 13. And I’m not sure what my predicted grades will be if I do badly on results day, or how universities will look at a D grade on physics in my first attempt.

I’m not really sure where to go from here.
Annonymous0932
Rep:
?
(Original post by 999tigger)
You dont know for certain yet if you missed and by how much.
You have provided very few details.
You can miss your offer and still get accepted.

What your options are depend on your results and what you want to do.

1. Clearing.
2. Resit.
3. Get a job or apprenticeship.

Do some research on those and then put it to one side and enjoy the summer.
Thank you, I provided more detail above. Ideally I’d like to go to university. I have heard of universities accepting slightly lower grades on results day but I’m not sure how it would work in my case since one of my A levels isn’t quite seen as a proper A level. Also, where can I find information on how many people were given offers and how many people were accepted for my course (Chemistry at Imperial/ UCL) Or how many missed their offers and got accepted and by how much. Is this information available anywhere??
sierrac
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
My current situation: I was predicted A*A*AA (which is what I applied with to study Chemistry)
My firm university is imperial college London: A*AA and my insurance is University College London: AAA.
My subjects are welsh baccalaureate, chemistry, maths and physics. UCL accept welsh bacc however imperial do not which is why I’m certain I have missed imperials offer because I don’t feel as if I will have achieved an A in physics or maths.

Now UCL, there is some hope but I still think I missed my offer. I think will have achieved something close to: A*ABD (A* in welsh bacc, possibly an A* in chemistry if not an A, I’m expecting a B in maths but a C wouldn’t surprise me, and physics I think a D is generous it could very well be a U).

My best case scenario is A*A*B and being accepted by UCL (even though I will have missed my offer). However if I get a D in physics I think they will reject me as welsh bacc isn’t really a proper A level so someone else having eg A*A*B (in say maths, chem, physics) would probably be prioritised over me having A*A*BD in welsh bacc, chemistry, maths, physics.

Now say I miss both offers, I’m not sure how good my grades will be for courses in clearing (I have got my eye on Warwick, King’s college London, Swansea and Queen Mary, id prefer London but I don’t know if any of these universities will be in clearing and don’t really expect them to be).

I have already contacted my firm and insurance both of whom have said they accept resit applicants. But I’m a bit wary of resitting, wouldn’t this weaken my application? Also I haven’t done anything that could be put on my personal statement throughout the whole of year 13. And I’m not sure what my predicted grades will be if I do badly on results day, or how universities will look at a D grade on physics in my first attempt.

If they allow you to resit this more than likely will not "weaken" your application.
Annonymous0932
Rep:
?
(Original post by sierrac)
If they allow you to resit this more than likely will not "weaken" your application.
Will it not? Because I’m quite worried if I resit, it will be looked down upon even if the application is technically still considered (especially by imperial which is quite competitive and I was surprised they said they accepted resit grades).

Aren’t they more likely to just give the offer to someone who will most likely achieve the grades first time around?

I don’t really know anyone who has repeated a year and re applied which is why I’m a bit unsure.
999tigger
Report 3 weeks ago
Thank you, I provided more detail above. Ideally I’d like to go to university. I have heard of universities accepting slightly lower grades on results day but I’m not sure how it would work in my case since one of my A levels isn’t quite seen as a proper A level. Also, where can I find information on how many people were given offers and how many people were accepted for my course (Chemistry at Imperial/ UCL) Or how many missed their offers and got accepted and by how much. Is this information available anywhere??
Ask the unis themselves although I think its pretty pointless.
With imperial and UCL because they are at the top of the tree, then I wouldnt expect them to consider you if you miss the offer and at best fall 1 below. They will have decided by the time the results come out.

Imo I would just chill for at least a few weeks. You wont know until the results, but if you really must then you can compile a set of alternative unis based on various scenarios of what grades you get. I am highly sceptical how too much worrying and overthinking has any positive effect.
Annonymous0932
Rep:
?
Ask the unis themselves although I think its pretty pointless.
With imperial and UCL because they are at the top of the tree, then I wouldnt expect them to consider you if you miss the offer and at best fall 1 below. They will have decided by the time the results come out.

Imo I would just chill for at least a few weeks. You wont know until the results, but if you really must then you can compile a set of alternative unis based on various scenarios of what grades you get. I am highly sceptical how too much worrying and overthinking has any positive effect.
Right, it’s as I thought then. I think I’ll just have to accept my rejection and move on to an alternative
sierrac
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
If they're letting you resit chances are they have the open seats for your course.
Not everyone who firmed/made it an insurance will still want to attend
Will it not? Because I’m quite worried if I resit, it will be looked down upon even if the application is technically still considered (especially by imperial which is quite competitive and I was surprised they said they accepted resit grades).

Aren’t they more likely to just give the offer to someone who will most likely achieve the grades first time around?

I don’t really know anyone who has repeated a year and re applied which is why I’m a bit unsure.
Annonymous0932
Rep:
?
(Original post by sierrac)
If they're letting you resit chances are they have the open seats for your course.
Not everyone who firmed/made it an insurance will still want to attend
Thank you, that’s reassured me a bit
Hopefully it all works out.
999tigger
Report 3 weeks ago
Right, it’s as I thought then. I think I’ll just have to accept my rejection and move on to an alternative
Honestly I think you are being annoyingly negative.
If it looks likely just put it to one side and see.

In the meantime there is no harm in doing the groundwork for alternatives.

As ive said on every other thread of this sort, people really ought to be chilling and relaxing after you have just finished one of the most stressful exam periods you are likely to face. A refreshed mind will help you see things more clearly and id what you really want plus your best course of action.
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Is there a reason that you're so focused on London universities (given that you're from Wales...)? You'll have many more options with ABD (plus a* in welsh bacc) if you'd consider studying chemistry in other UK cities.
Annonymous0932
Rep:
?
Honestly I think you are being annoyingly negative.
If it looks likely just put it to one side and see.

In the meantime there is no harm in doing the groundwork for alternatives.

As ive said on every other thread of this sort, people really ought to be chilling and relaxing after you have just finished one of the most stressful exam periods you are likely to face. A refreshed mind will help you see things more clearly and id what you really want plus your best course of action.
Well everyone relaxes differently, thinking of the worst and preparing for it puts my mind at ease because at least i’ll know what my other options are. But thanks anyways
swanseajack1
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Having seen your grades you will almost certainly get into Swansea and I suspect the London ones. I suspect Warwick wont accept you because I think they dont accept Welsh Bac. Have a look around at other places. Bath might be worth looking at or possibly Nottingham or Manchester. I think it is highly unlikely you are going to get into Imperial or UCL.

X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Sheffield Hallam University
    Foundation Year Open Evening Undergraduate
    Wed, 17 Jul '19
  • Regent's University London
    Psychotherapy Open Evening Postgraduate
    Wed, 17 Jul '19
  • Norwich University of the Arts
    Postgraduate (MA) Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 18 Jul '19

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice now or on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (122)
19.55%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (58)
9.29%
No I am happy with my course choice (352)
56.41%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (92)
14.74%

Watched Threads