This discussion is closed.
westham999
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 13 years ago
Does anyone know of any good A levels that would be usefull for joining the police. I know that there are no qualifications required to join but which ones would benefit me and could be usefull?
roots
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
History, Law, R.E, English, Sociology, Psychology

Have you thought about Public Services Courses
Ukazi-TazZy
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
law, and other social studies maby?
Peter121PRO
Report 13 years ago
do a BTEC National diplomma in public services its worth 3 a levels
SiaSiaSia
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
hmmmm
i'd say

PE/Sports Science, RE/Philosophy, Sociology/Psychology and maybe History or something

I don't reckon it matters too much , i'd just do the subjects you like
MathsStudent
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
PE and Law
history is also a good one
I would say english maybe or maybe a foriegn langauge
amylase55
Report 13 years ago
government and politics?
MathsStudent
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
yah thats a good one
PE to show you have stamina
Law headstart really
politics again you need to know it
i say foriegn language so you can communicate with people that don't know english
anna_spanner89
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
You coild do public services btec but i know loads of people that say its a waste of time etc

Ive got a few friends going in the police, most have done:

Sociology, Language, Religous studies and sport science

why i hear you cry:

Sociology promotes knowledge of society, how it works
Language is good for communication, plus give you a head up etc with extra skills

Religous studies promotes knowledge of religons, ethics and how they live/worship- cultural awareness

and sport science too build up fitness!
MathsStudent
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by anna_spanner89)
You coild do public services btec but i know loads of people that say its a waste of time etc

Ive got a few friends going in the police, most have done:

Sociology, Language, Religous studies and sport science

why i hear you cry:

Sociology promotes knowledge of society, how it works
Language is good for communication, plus give you a head up etc with extra skills

Religous studies promotes knowledge of religons, ethics and how they live/worship- cultural awareness

and sport science too build up fitness!
Anna thats a great range of subjects perfect
History Rocks
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
[QUOTE=anna_spanner89]You coild do public services btec but i know loads of people that say its a waste of time etc

QUOTE]

Hmmm I'm doing a National Diploma Uniformed Public Services and IT IS NOT A WASTE OF TIME...Well the qualification is getting me in to university to do History and American Studies

If you want to go in to the Police a BTEC National Diploma In Uniform Public Services is in my opinion the best thing you could do because it gives you an insight in to what being a Police Officer is really like. For example you will do units such as Law, Uniform Public Service Fitness, Obedience and Conformity. An get to right many of your essays and reports just solely on the Police for example how British Police have combatted terrorism. Which A levels would never give you a chance to do.
Norfolkadam
Badges: 18
Report 12 years ago
A language is good I'd expect, they always seem to need someone who talks another language on The Bill.

My college offers some qualification in Public Services which is designed for people going into the Police or the Armed Forces so if you are certain you want to go into the police maybe you could look at that. The kind of people that did it at my college stay seperate from everyone else though, they don't really fit in I suppose.
Shask
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Are A-Levels even required by the police force? For being an officer?
Tallon
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I don't think it matters too much. Obviously law would help. But anything like maths would show you're a logical person and a good thinker, but English would show your reasoning etc. So pick the subjects you'lll get the best grades in as the police force don't really require specific A levels at all unlike some other careers.
History Rocks
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
A levels are not required to become a Police Office, in fact GCSE's are not even required...
But it is very unlikely that you are going to get in without some kind of further education seen as there is so much competition for the role
βored
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I think A-levels which allow transferable skills would be a good choice so English, Maths, Computing/ICT, Languages, ect.
Rob 106
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Law could be good, i did at A level and it's fairly enjoyable if your interested and i could see how some of what you learn could be useful. Find out what modules your centre offers, things like criminal law are going to be more useful that tort or contract for police i would guess.

Good luck!
gdunne42
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Have a look at
http://www.policecouldyou.co.uk/

You don't need A levels. It's not what you know, it's much more about your character, fitness and personality. I know 2 people who have been accepted by the Metropolitan police with just OK GCSEs.

Do a balanced set of A levels in subjects that you are good at and will enjoy so that you have options when you've finished. If you are serious about the police put some thought into what you do outside the A levels e.g. team sports, Duke of Edinburgh, voluntary work etc
paperclip
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I wouldn't say sociology, do psychology as it promotes good knowledge of individual people and will tell you things about violence, like individuation.
Nathan_berry_gay
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Maybe*
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (63)
36.21%
I'm worried that I’m not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (18)
10.34%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (11)
6.32%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as ‘lesser’ because I didn’t take exams (43)
24.71%
I don’t think that receiving these grades will impact my future (24)
13.79%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (15)
8.62%

Watched Threads