This discussion is closed.
MrIlluminaughty
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hey everyone, I've put in my application for the army and was rejected due in part to my previous mental issues (what my last post was describing) and after sending a Level 1 Appeal for said medical, I was sent back a reply after a few weeks and was rejected due to the fact that I suffered from longstanding depression with psychosis and because of that, I was deemed unfit.

Now something I wasn't too sure about was the terms of the 'medically unfit' as I believe there is "Permanentely Medically Unfit" and "Temporarily Medically Unfit" And I'm unsure of which one I would be pinned as. Due to me not wanting to get my hopes up, I assume that I am deemed PMU, and thus I should be looking for a career elsewhere, but in the event that I am termed TMU, or simply MU (Medically Unfit), would it be reasonable to apply for a Level 2 Appeal with a Chief Medical Officer?

Something my medical history didn't point out is that my episodes were never frequent nor intense, they were merely present whenever I was faced with a scenario I found myself isolated from and extremeyl saddened by(as an example) and even then, it wouldn't be too intense to the point of total freak-out but it definitely was a cause for concern at the time considering my age and my ability to handle it wasn't too good when I was 15/16. And since I turned 17, I never had an episode after my departure from school.

I'm looking for any and all advice as I would love to be part of the Armed Forces but I won't be too dejected if I were to be rejected due to my past medical history. I think being shed some light and given some insight by people who are or were in the army who had come across issues like this would be able to provide or at the very least, someone who is medically trained and able to give any sort of advice.

Edit - I've also accidentally misplaced the letter stating my reasons for being rejected (and I've looked for it multiple times) and so I'm unsure on the process of how to go forward with a Level 1B Appeal, if I could also gain insight onto that, I'd genuinely appreciate it as online searches aren't really providing any clues on how to do so.

Thank you all for your time and replies.
Last edited by MrIlluminaughty; 1 year ago
Surnia
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
No-one medically trained on here will be able to advise other than on the generalities and, as for others' experience, everyone will be slightly different and it's on a case-by-case basis.

If you can't find your letter, get another copy and find out what your medical status is.

If you are TMU, you will have been given a timescale for further investigation and your GP will be contacted for information; make sure your GP is proactive in providing what is requested and keep in touch with your AFCO towards the end of the time period to check on progress. If you are PMU (I've never come across just MU but would think it's the same) appealing is the same process as before and, as you have been previously advised, you need to provide information that is new or in addition to what is on your medical records. If your records don't reflect what you say in your 3rd paragraph, see if your GP will update them or provide a letter to that effect. It could have saved a delay if you had been aware of this for your first appeal, so this time don't rush and make sure you are entirely happy with what is being submitted.
rjoco
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hi. I just wanted to ask what was the outcome of this?
Surnia
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by rjoco)
Hi. I just wanted to ask what was the outcome of this?
OP hasn't been on here for a year...
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (195)
58.21%
I don't have everything I need (140)
41.79%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise