Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    'lo all

as the title suggests, i'm looking to do Japanese Studies at uni (starting 2009), so i've just finished my AS levels.

I was wondering what universities everyone else was looking at, what subjects you do, predicted grades etc etc

I'll get the ball rolling.....
    Music, English Lit, History and Physics for AS (don't plan on dropping any)

and i've been looking at Cambridge, Sheffield, Leeds, Manchester and UCL

hoping for 4 As but slightly sceptical atm :P

cheeeers
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Useless anecdote: I know someone doing Japanese at Cambridge, she likes it.

ReputationRep:
    nice
    can't wait for the open day with school, i've had a look around before but not really seen many of the facilities..

but knowing Cambridge I don't suppose they'll be bad..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by randomjak)
    'lo all

as the title suggests, i'm looking to do Japanese Studies at uni (starting 2009), so i've just finished my AS levels.

I was wondering what universities everyone else was looking at, what subjects you do, predicted grades etc etc

I'll get the ball rolling.....
    Music, English Lit, History and Physics for AS (don't plan on dropping any)

and i've been looking at Cambridge, Sheffield, Leeds, Manchester and UCL

hoping for 4 As but slightly sceptical atm :P

cheeeers
    Leeds: year abroad is in the 2nd year - language in the first year can be a bit thin of the ground. I really laughed when I saw what they did in the entire first year.

Sheffield: The ****. What more can I say. But then again I'm biased.

Manchester: Again, its quite new so hasn't built up any rep yet. Therefore I'm not sure how many partner intuitions they have (we have 22 for example.) They also split the A-level and non-A-level apart which can be seen as a detriment of sorts. Right now, I can't tell on our course who has done A-level or not, therefore it seems quite redundant to split people up.

UCL: Don't bother.

SOAS: Perhaps you meant this over UCL? Probably the same as our course, yet I think they again mix the groups up according to A-level or not. Supposedly have just 'reorganised' their Japanese teaching department

Cambridge: Tis okay, but even Cambridge students have seen what we do at Sheff in terms of language study and have been overawed. I think there is a good focus on the literary and the language side of things. However, you have to organise the year abroad yourself. Which means you may or may not be in a position to approach certain desired universities.

ReputationRep:
    haha thanks
    yehhh I was a bit worried about the year abroad being the 2nd year

for one thing, you don't know the language as well, and also you break alot of the connections with people you made at uni in the first year...but maybe that's me.

and yeah, meant SOAS. And personally I'm not too keen on going to a huge city so.. I would put it low down on my choices but then i don't really stand a chance of getting in so I'm not too sure

sheffield looks awesome good for the course and social life I hear?
    but we shall see

which A levels did you do / grades to get an offer there? If that's not being too nosy :P

thanks

ReputationRep:
    Well, I have applied to start Japanese and Management starting September 08 and from what I saw/ researched Sheffield is my top choice.

As has already been mentioned, Leeds do their year abroad in the second year instead of the third which is what put me off, although you may prefer to be thrown in at the deep end?

I went to the sheffield open day, it looked to be an excellent department. The teachers were good and the presentation by current 4th year students was also v good. In my opinion the course outline was also one of the best that I'd seen for my joint degree.

So i put down Sheffield and Cardiff for my Firm (Sheffs) and Insurance(Cardiff)

James

ReputationRep:
    sheffield looks awesome good for the course and social life I hear?
    but we shall see

which A levels did you do / grades to get an offer there? If that's not being too nosy :P

thanks
    None. Although I did A-levels about four years ago. French, lit and psychology. In Sheffield we aren't too fussy on having A-levels in languages so, you might have a good chance of getting a offer.

Obviously if moving to a big expensive city is not for you, then Sheffield is probably ideal. Haha.

ReputationRep:
    I've not heard great things about Sheffield....the words "it's a dump" have been said. Didn't stop me applying there for Chinese studies though (only coz there are so few unis that do this damned course!)
    Cambridge is good, Manchester is good, Leeds is quite good for languages, but might fall down on the other cultural aspects of the course. Not sure about it for Japanese, but Edinburgh's good for Chinese!
    SOAS is quite good, but I always saw it and the courses as more of a post-grad place for my course.

I'm going to assume that Japanese Studies will have the same offers as Chinese Studies (at the overlapping unis I've applied to with a friend doing Arabic/Middle Eastern Studies, the offers have been the same)
    Cambridge, AAA
    Leeds, BBC
    Sheffield ABB
    Manchester, BBB
    Edinburgh, BBB

I personally really did not want to go to a uni that did the year abroad in the 2nd year, coz I've never really studied Mandarin before, and even the thought of doing it in the 3rd year feels a little daunting to me, so that might be something to take into consideration.

ReputationRep:
    thanks

When I look at the offers for the universities......correct me if i'm wrong but, with ABB for Sheffield wouldn't most of the offers be to people with AAA etc?

I worded that kinda badly buuttt...
    I have no idea how oversubscribed the courses are...Cambridge is something like 3:1, so I'm guessing you'd need 4 As and a hefty amount of extra curricular stuff to get in.

And I'm hoping that not doing a language won't hold me back too much I got an A* at GCSE french (haha) so hopefully that shows i'm capable.. who knows

ReputationRep:
    thanks

When I look at the offers for the universities......correct me if i'm wrong but, with ABB for Sheffield wouldn't most of the offers be to people with AAA etc?

I worded that kinda badly buuttt...
    I think I understand what you mean... that a person predicted AAA will stand more of a chance of getting in????

Well, if tht is what you mean.... They judge you on alot more than your grade for example; why you want to study japanese, your personal statement, extra ciricular activities ect. There more after a well rounded dedicated person than a random with the grades (I think)

James

ReputationRep:
    yehh that's what I was getting at

and if so, nice I've been really kicking myself about my history exam so I'm not sure what the grade's gonna end up like..

and I like to think i do interesting stuff ;D

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GingerMarshmallow)
    I've not heard great things about Sheffield....the words "it's a dump" have been said.
    The Arts Tower is a bit of a dump, but then again its possible to get toasted for less than £20 in the student bar. Incidentally I don't think our Chinese section of the East Asian department is as good as the Japanese one. I think by the time I am in the fourth year and maybe when the OP is a fresher they will have moved the department out into the new building that is being built.

Sheffield are very liberal with the grades. You will get an offer provided you show some academic ability as well as a desire to study Japanese. About 1/4 of the initial intake will end up passing the course. I think only 14 from 50 odd in the fourth year finished the degree. SOAS also has a fairly high dropout rate, due in part to the intensity of the course.

Cambridge and Edinburgh tend to be very very selective about who they allow onto the course, and therefore you need to have at least an A-level in a foreign language to stand a chance. A lot of the other places will reject for not showing enough ambition for studying Japanese rather than not having the desired grades. Our intake is about 50 on average, and I reckon its about half or a third of that for Oxbridge and possibly Edinburgh.

Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gaijin)
    Cambridge and Edinburgh tend to be very very selective about who they allow onto the course, and therefore you need to have at least an A-level in a foreign language to stand a chance.

I hope not
    on their site it says a language OR a humanities
    I'll be seriously miffed if that's the case.. as if doing French improves my Japanese...

meh

ReputationRep:
    ohh and another thing

because you have to send applications to Oxbridge really early, i'll be starting my personal statement pretty soon

does anyone have any tips? I know that I love Japan and really want to study it at uni, but I find it quite hard to explain in words...so it'd be interesting to see why other people like it.

Thanks again

ReputationRep:
    bump

ReputationRep:
    be specific and state your goals and ambitions for wanting to do the degree. Don't just say you want to study it, because you like Japan.

ReputationRep:
    ok

ReputationRep:
    Read up the things you're most interested in - literature? Art? History? Talk about specific things that have interested you (have you been to Japan, maybe?)

I didn't (and still don't) know what I want to do after uni, and I think a lot of people don't, so having goals for the future I don't think is the most important thing. I think there's great worth in wanting to study something not as a means to an end but as its own end. I just want to study the Chinese language and culture because I like languages and just think it's so fascinating.

I think an important thing is to be sincere though, don't lie, especially if you'll have to do interviews, coz then it really shows whether or not you're passionate about your degree choice. I'm guessing you are, but don't just put something in the PS for the sake of it - and DON'T for the love of God say you've read a book if you actually haven't (especially if you're interviewed by the author of the book, which might happen in some cases!!!!)

ReputationRep:
    When I wrote my personal statement I found a good starting point was to say why I originally was interested in Japan and that the interest has evolved ect.

ReputationRep:
    yehh I was thinking the same thing
    I have noo idea what to do afterwards... I really don't think I want to stay over there for the rest of my life it's not that sort of interest

I guess personally it'd be.....music, history, art? I love samurias..
    oh and sushi it'd be great to learn to cook there

And yehh, I won't but i've been a good boy and read a good handful on Japan, and others on China and the surrounding areas, which should help I hope

cheeerssss

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: June 17, 2008

University open days

• Southampton Solent University
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Sun, 18 Nov '18
  • University of Bradford
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    All Faculties Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.