Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Since i'm building a new and more gaming oriented PC soon, i'm going to go from no online gaming to quite a bit. I'm presuming this will up my 'download usage' quite a bit and i currently have a 5Gb cap, which i'm guessing might be a bit restrictive. However i'm switching to Sky Broadband soon anyway - Which means i can either opt for a 40Gb cap or unlimited downloads. Since the unlimited package supports speeds ludicrously above what my phone line can handle and is twice the price of the 40Gb capped service. Will 40Gb be enough? Say if i game online a couple hours a day on average. My other browsing habits aren't very demanding, i don't use P2P programs and download movies etc.

ReputationRep:
    Games use bugger all in the way of bandwidth, so unless you try and play about 10 games at once constantly, 5Gb should even be enough, but just watch the downloads

ReputationRep:
    I know XBOX Live works by just sending movement data and any voices being spoken - all the graphics are generated on each users physical machine, so it's not as demanding as video being streamed. I assume an online game would be similar for your PC, so a 40GB cap should more than suffice.

ReputationRep:
    Really? I've heard some horror stories about people bills who were on low usage caps after someone got a PS3/360 and started playing online. Is that different to PC gaming? Or is there a lot of downloading extras/games etc. with consoles?

ReputationRep:
    You can download extras like demos and videos on consoles, no different to how you could on the internet for PC games.

I am certain that all that is sent is basic movement data, which the other gamers console would interpret (Gamer 1 has moved to co-ordinates xxxx-xxxx, in vehicle 8). All users have the same game, so the physics generated would be nearly identical. I've heard estimates that XBOX Live uses as little as 10 MB an hour.

For your PC, I'd recommend that you download a bandwidth monitor. These little programs can keep a count of how many bytes have been up/downloaded. Play the game for an hour or so, and then check how much bandwidth has been used. From there you can see what sort of package you need.

ReputationRep:
    Just one thing - atm anyway sky are very lenient with the usage. I don't think I've heard of anyone getting punished for going over.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Download something like NetMeter. Find out.

ReputationRep:
    Coming down the line at you are hundreds of small packets sent by the server with the data you computer needs to draw the players and world on your screen, it doesn't actually get the image data from the server.

As such this shouldn't consume as much of your download limit as you probably expected, but the only way to really find out is to download a network monitoring tool and look at the traffic coming into your computer.

ReputationRep:
    I play online games a lot and i use about 5gb on gaming alone per month; on my ISP page it gives a break down of the uses of bandwidth of the month, gaming for me is about 4.5-5.5gb per month both up and down.
    I am a heavy user anyway though, about 25-30gb per month up/down.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for all the replies, i guess i can assume that 40Gb limit will be enough for me.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: June 8, 2008
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.