The Student Room Group

Ideas for a part time job in the Summer for a 16 year old...

Hope I've got the right forum because there was a few i looked at where this might have gone!

But anyway was wondering what sort of jobs are the best for the Summer in terms of pay and ease for a 16 year old just coming of the back of the GCSE examinations!! What do i need to do to get a job? Sounds simple but seeing i've only ever had a paper round before i would have no idea of what to do to get a job!! Also, when should i go about looking for a job?, (ASAP?) because my GCSEs finish at the end of this week and don't want to leave it too late where I don't get a job for most of the Summer, or also even worse, not get a job at all!

Thanks all!

Ben
Reply 1
try somewhere like Tesco, Asda those types of places. it's boring and crap pay but it's work expereince I suppose. :smile:
Reply 2
Look for an independent book store that isn't paticually busy. You can read while people aren't in the shop.
Reply 3
Jeppaloth
Look for an independent book store that isn't paticually busy. You can read while people aren't in the shop.

What if he doesn't like reading? A crazy thought i know.
If you like working with children and getting paid to do nothing, then a kids 'day' camps are really good fun.
Looks great on the CV as well, especially if you work for a charity or organisation like the YMCA

I've worked at one during the summer for the past 3 years. You just play games, do activites and sing with the children and you get paid around £45 a day.

There is usually a great atmosphere, and as most of the staff are young you can get a good social life going at the same time.

PM me if you want any more info.
If you want a job you'll need to start looking already, it's already a bit late!

Getting a job will also be a bit tough I think, in my areas at least I've been looking around, and a lot of shops aren't really willing to hire much extra help over summer, what with the credit crunch and all that jazz, and if they are hiring a lot are asking for full time and not part time :s-smilie:

Make a CV though, and just go to every shop and hand it in asking for a summer job, good luck!
Reply 6
Get a job at wilkinson. Weekend work is 7hrs saturday, 3-6 hours sunday. Pay is 4.50 under-18, 5.60 over. But the best part is double pay on sundays and bank holidays :-D
Reply 7
Thanks for ALL the replies people :smile:

A few things i will try, a few things not, for example tutoring, as i would sure lose my temper or get impatient! It's a shame because i could teach the piano, my sister did, but I just don't have the mentality.

Will try Morrisons, Tesco, Wilkinson for definite, and perhaps Iceland, Subway, Burger Kind or small locally based shops in my area. Anyone have any experience with something like working at a food shop like Subway or Burger King? Also, what do i put on my CV (lol) and who do i hand it to?

Thanks again!

Ben
On your CV put things like skills and achievements, big yourself up but don't lie.

Just walk into the shop if they have customer services go there, but just hand in your CV if they have vacancies and wait and see.
I love children can I do it please I need the money for my family and future

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending