Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    advice appreciated - can't seem to sit down and actually get on with it. it's not that i don't want to revise or that i want to fail, because i remind myself how important these are, but with 5 days to go i just keep thinking "oh well i've still got plenty of time". i need to make notes on 9 topics and do some past papers before friday, and then start revision for my next exam. i know it's easy to look down your nose at me because i can be a lazy ******* but i'd appreciate any advice you could give to help me sit down and concentrate and start writing. what conditions do you have when you revise - music, your bedroom, snacks etc? got any tips for me? thanks.

ReputationRep:
    Im struggling too - Im a uni student and my exams finished on 9th May, but the pass list came out and Im not on it. I think I know which one I failed and will have to resit in August, but Im back at home now, and I cant revise because there's not absolute silence in the house. Plus its a gorgeous day outside

When do yours finish? Just think that when its all over you'll have plenty time to laze about and do whatever (unless, like me, you have to work full-time, 10 hours a day packing berries lol)

ReputationRep:
    Go downstairs, get a drink of water, turn off the music/computer/*insert distracting object here*... basically, create an environment in which you can work comfortably (there shouldn't be too much clutter etc in the room or on the desk) and quietly. Work in half hour slots, taking 5 minutes break to refill your drink or whatever... but don't fall into the trap of coming onto the computer/watching TV etc in that break... you'll end u doing it for in excess of an hour. (A mistake I've made hundreds of times...)

Try searching for more threads on this as well, I bet there's loads. Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    I can totally relate...
    I was meant to start revising at 9am, but it's now 3:30pm and I haven't done anything, and my exams are on tuesday,weds and thursday.
    humph

ReputationRep:
    i gave my parents my pro evo game because it made my intended 15 mins break go on for an hour lol.

to get started u just need 5 mins concentrating on writing down notes which gets me into it then i take a break when i can't absorb anymore.

chillout music helps me concentrate

ReputationRep:
    I think going to the library helps. It rids of most of the distractions and because of all the effort you made to go there, it keeps you there.

ReputationRep:
    I hate exams.
    And the fact I need to do well in them.
    Its my laptop, iTunes, food and every single distraction in my room and outside of it that stops me from opening up my English book.

ReputationRep:
    Make sure the area which you want to work is clean and tidy. if you don't need to use your computer. turn it off! i take the tv off my desk as well so i don't get tempted. some people work best with abit of music. i can't i need silence! get some water/drink by you to keep you hydrated. i find it makes me work better as well.
    Make a list of what you want to do by the end of the day.
    make sure you take regular breaks.. but do exerise during them. i have to walk around my house, and do stretchs as my back needs 'clicking' all the time due to the position that i sit in.
    Try different methods of revision, like posters/mind maps ( my walls are totally covered, at the moment!)
    other than that you've just got to think, shall i sit around doing nothing all day and fail. or try and do some work, and get further in life
    good luck

oh and get off TSR!!

ReputationRep:
    me too its painful its boiling hot outside as well....

ReputationRep:
    I think I've read Dionysus' opening speech of The Bacchae over 5 times now, I just can't seem to get into it, which is really bad because my exam on it is tomorrow and
    I have 5 other tragedies to re-read...

ReputationRep:
    I can relate to your problem pretty well - luckily my main vice is World of Warcraft - so I just got my sister to change the password to something I wouldn't guess and ordered her not to tell me until after the exams are over :P That's how low my willpower is

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    UEA Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 23 Nov '18
  • Norwich University of the Arts
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Fri, 23 Nov '18
  • Edge Hill University
    All Faculties Undergraduate
    Sat, 24 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.