Starting IB this September, tips please Watch

hannahS653
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Evening guys. I've just got through my GCSEs and it looks like I'm getting all the grades I need. This September I'm beggining IB.

I was wondering if some of the more experienced people in this forumn could give me general advice and tips about the work, experiences and problems I can expect over the next few years, for me and anyone else beginning in September.
IB PRO
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Hi Hannah,

I always ask students to work on the executive/soft skills before they begin the DP: multi-tasking, focused attention, planning, time management, and organization to name a few. Have an organizational plan, and the DP becomes infinitely easier.

By way of introduction, I am a former DP English Lit and ToK teacher, university counselor, MYP/DP Coordinator and principal of IB schools. I now work full time to support students such as yourself, with the DP, essay writing and university counseling.

I'm happy to provide more support, just ask!

Cheers,
Rob
(Original post by hannahS653)
Evening guys. I've just got through my GCSEs and it looks like I'm getting all the grades I need. This September I'm beggining IB.

I was wondering if some of the more experienced people in this forumn could give me general advice and tips about the work, experiences and problems I can expect over the next few years, for me and anyone else beginning in September.
Aspenfire
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
What are your subjects? For some targeted tips
hannahS653
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Aspenfire)
What are your subjects? For some targeted tips
Higher: English, Global politics, History
Standards: Maths, Biology, German
Aspenfire
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Ah, nice! So I have done English/German Lit and History, so I can help you a bit there.
For history: don't feel overwhelmed. A lot of people, including you, will complain. But the secret is to get ahead a tiny bit. If you know your topics, get immersed. What makes this subject easier is to like it. I found it easy because I liked the topics. Do a little every day or every few, and you will remember the facts pretty easily. For exams: the key is knowing the papers, question techniques and how to write a good essay. Practice makes perfect.
For the languages, it depends whether you do lit or langlit : )
(Original post by hannahS653)
Higher: English, Global politics, History
Standards: Maths, Biology, German
hannahS653
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Aspenfire)
Ah, nice! So I have done English/German Lit and History, so I can help you a bit there.
For history: don't feel overwhelmed. A lot of people, including you, will complain. But the secret is to get ahead a tiny bit. If you know your topics, get immersed. What makes this subject easier is to like it. I found it easy because I liked the topics. Do a little every day or every few, and you will remember the facts pretty easily. For exams: the key is knowing the papers, question techniques and how to write a good essay. Practice makes perfect.
For the languages, it depends whether you do lit or langlit : )
Thank you very much. For history I am fortunate that I binge watch history documentaries in my spare time, so I already know a few things about the topics we're doing.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...

University open days

• Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 31 Jul '19
  • Staffordshire University
    Postgraduate open event - Stoke-on-Trent campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 7 Aug '19
  • University of Derby