The Student Room Group

Rear ended a BMW it'll probably cost me €1k+

Slippy roads, a bus on a narrow bridge and some idiot up ahead who thought at the last minute they wouldn't fit.. they stopped, everyone else stopped I tried to and just slid into the BMW.

His tow hitch just dented my licence plate but it flipped up into his bumper.
Lovely guy, really understanding about the whole thing.

I can't go through insurance because I'm driving less than a year, and a named driver so it'll mean me not getting insured for less than like €5k and skyrocketing my fathers insurance and losing his no claims.

I was saving for college and now I can't afford it..

Life is strange..
Reply 1
Original post by Anonymous
Slippy roads, a bus on a narrow bridge and some idiot up ahead who thought at the last minute they wouldn't fit.. they stopped, everyone else stopped I tried to and just slid into the BMW.

His tow hitch just dented my licence plate but it flipped up into his bumper.
Lovely guy, really understanding about the whole thing.

I can't go through insurance because I'm driving less than a year, and a named driver so it'll mean me not getting insured for less than like €5k and skyrocketing my fathers insurance and losing his no claims.

I was saving for college and now I can't afford it..

Life is strange..

You may not have a choice if he reports it as you are both obliged to by law
Reply 2
Original post by IWMTom
You may not have a choice if he reports it as you are both obliged to by law

I'm obviously paying, there was never any question about it.

I just posted about how weird it is.. the time I'm saving every penny to go back to college (which will cost me 8k+ out of my own pocket) and I manage to rear end an expensive car.. but mine is damn near mint.
So it's not like I can just deal with it and drive a banged up Golf, I have to pay.
Reply 3
I'm obviously paying, there was never any question about it.

I just posted about how weird it is.. the time I'm saving every penny to go back to college (which will cost me 8k+ out of my own pocket) and I manage to rear end an expensive car.. but mine is damn near mint.
So it's not like I can just deal with it and drive a banged up Golf, I have to pay.

I meant you're legally obliged to inform your insurer...
Reply 4
Original post by IWMTom
I meant you're legally obliged to inform your insurer...

It's very much common practice to avoid going through insurance in Ireland (where I'm from).
Main reason being if I was to, at the age of 22, being male and driving an 04 1.4 VW Golf, go through my insurance.. I would not get insured at any price.
If I was to mention I dinged my licence plate (and said it happened someone reversing into me for example - opposite of what happened).. I would have a huge premium hike.
Realistically I'd be looking at close to €1k of a rise.. It's extortionate.

So I won't be divulging information that stands to cost me a fortune because some greedy company managed to write it into legality.
Reply 5
It's very much common practice to avoid going through insurance in Ireland (where I'm from).
Main reason being if I was to, at the age of 22, being male and driving an 04 1.4 VW Golf, go through my insurance.. I would not get insured at any price.
If I was to mention I dinged my licence plate (and said it happened someone reversing into me for example - opposite of what happened).. I would have a huge premium hike.
Realistically I'd be looking at close to €1k of a rise.. It's extortionate.

So I won't be divulging information that stands to cost me a fortune because some greedy company managed to write it into legality.

Better hope the other party doesn't change their mind and opt to go through their insurance, because you'd then have a cancellation for failure to declare - you'll never get insured then!
Reply 6
Original post by IWMTom
Better hope the other party doesn't change their mind and opt to go through their insurance, because you'd then have a cancellation for failure to declare - you'll never get insured then!

Not necessarily it would be more of a case of 'oh I was really busy with work, my car isn't damaged so I put it off'

Beyond that thankfully the guy was very nice.
Reply 7
Not necessarily it would be more of a case of 'oh I was really busy with work, my car isn't damaged so I put it off'

We hear countless stories on here of people in similar situations to you, not disclosing it, the other party changing their mind, and the insurer getting angsty over not declaring it - it's why it's often written into the T&Cs to inform them immediately.
Reply 8

I don't think they will accept such an excuse.
Reply 9
Original post by stoyfan
I don't think they will accept such an excuse.

But if in doubt, play dumb?

It works for hot girls why can't it work for me??

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending