The Student Room Group

Applying to oxford

Would there be any point In applying for biology without an a level in chemistry at oxford. It isn’t an entry requirement but I’m afraid I’d be at a disadvantage when compared to everyone else. Is there much point In applying?
Original post by Nicesprout67
Would there be any point In applying for biology without an a level in chemistry at oxford. It isn’t an entry requirement but I’m afraid I’d be at a disadvantage when compared to everyone else. Is there much point In applying?

I would say there is definitely a point in applying. The worst thing you could do is regret not applying and wonder “what if”.

If you have the grades for oxford then it is likely that you will get offers at some of the other 4 places you apply. Just make sure you are sensible with your choices.

Apply to oxford, the next two should be the next two favourites, then for the 4th pick one that has at least one grade less than the others (to make a good insurance with slightly lower entrance requirements) and the 5th pick one you are confident you can get an offer for. For me that was 3 grades lower than my predicted, 2 grades lower than my highest offer uni.
Best of luck.
Original post by Nicole14510
I would say there is definitely a point in applying. The worst thing you could do is regret not applying and wonder “what if”.

If you have the grades for oxford then it is likely that you will get offers at some of the other 4 places you apply. Just make sure you are sensible with your choices.

Apply to oxford, the next two should be the next two favourites, then for the 4th pick one that has at least one grade less than the others (to make a good insurance with slightly lower entrance requirements) and the 5th pick one you are confident you can get an offer for. For me that was 3 grades lower than my predicted, 2 grades lower than my highest offer uni.
Best of luck.

I’ll make sure to do that. It would be terrible to keep wondering what would happen, thank you!
Reply 3
I know a girl in the year above, who was offered a place taking Biology, Maths and Geography. She is extremely passionate about bio though - so make sure that comes across.
Original post by dlsoii
I know a girl in the year above, who was offered a place taking Biology, Maths and Geography. She is extremely passionate about bio though - so make sure that comes across.

I’m passionate I’m just not sure how to show it, it’s good to see an example with someone that didn’t take chemistry because all I hear is people with chemistry getting places, thank you!
Yes, you should certainly consider applying.

The entrance requirements for Biology are already exacting enough: A*AA (with the A* in a science or Maths); compulsory A-levels in Biology, plus Chemistry, Physics or Maths. There is no hidden advantage for Chemistry applicants - it's on a par with Maths and Physics.

Original post by 学生の父
Yes, you should certainly consider applying.

The entrance requirements for Biology are already exacting enough: A*AA (with the A* in a science or Maths); compulsory A-levels in Biology, plus Chemistry, Physics or Maths. There is no hidden advantage for Chemistry applicants - it's on a par with Maths and Physics.

I always thought that chemistry would give people an advantage because it’s another science that could possibly be helpful in a biology degree, I’m glad you cleared that up for me it’s a relief.
Yes, it is, but then so are Maths and Physics. They can't expect you to do all of them!
I always thought that chemistry would give people an advantage because it’s another science that could possibly be helpful in a biology degree, I’m glad you cleared that up for me it’s a relief.
Original post by 学生の父
Yes, it is, but then so are Maths and Physics. They can't expect you to do all of them!

Yeah that’s true actually I’ve never thought of it that way

What is it about the course at Oxford that appeals?
Reply 10
Do you find yourself more interested in molecular and cellular biology? Or more environmental biology and ecology?
Reply 11
As a person she is extremely nice and open, and I can easily see her being able to charm the tutors that way.

But she also worked incredibly hard. Every time I went into the study room, she was there, before school and after school. Not just mindlessly revising A-Level though, she was always reading and reading tons beyond the specification. I know people in her class that got annoyed that their lessons turned into a one on one discussion between the student and the teacher because nobody else could follow. Also went above and beyond for her other A-Levels.

Essentially, just do what other applicants are doing and do more.
I’m passionate I’m just not sure how to show it, it’s good to see an example with someone that didn’t take chemistry because all I hear is people with chemistry getting places, thank you!

just to add to the answers already given:

It's unlikely to seriously disadvantage your application, as a signficant number of people do get in without Chemistry. Your PS doesn't need you to wax lyrical about chemistry and there's no written test for admission. At interview, you might get given a graph of data that requires some basic biochemstry, but that shouldn't be more than you'd have covered in the Biology curriculum (plus general biology 'awareness') . Should you get in, there will clearly be parts of the course you may find hard going. Not only will there be some biochemistry/physiology that you can't avoid, some understanding of chemistry is helpful in topics like environment and earth science. The same applies to people who will have got in without maths, as statistics is a significant element of some modules, and impossible to avoid completely. This will be the case for pretty much any 'straight' Biology course at pretty much any uni.
The critical question is really whether you feel this is right course/uni for you.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending