I feel really lost and kinda depressed after finishing a levels Watch

Lostcause01
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
I finished a levels and I do feel relieved about it and everything but I feel really...lost. Like, for two years I’ve been revising and my purpose my kind of to revise for my a levels and now they’re finished I don’t know what to do with myself. I have always struggled with my mental health and not feeling passionate about anything in my life, so I just feel even more down than usual and I’m getting annoyed with myself that I feel so sad. My best friend has also left for a holiday for two months so I won’t see her for ages and I’m going to uni in September so we won’t even get to spend the summer together which also makes me really sad because I speak to her every single day. I don’t know if I’m just being dramatic but I just can’t stop feeling like this. I want to get a job so I have something to do with my time but I feel so unmotivated to do anything and it’s quite scary. I was even thinking about seeing a therapist. What do you think? I need to hear someone else’s take on this.
Pathway
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Lostcause01)
I finished a levels and I do feel relieved about it and everything but I feel really...lost. Like, for two years I’ve been revising and my purpose my kind of to revise for my a levels and now they’re finished I don’t know what to do with myself. I have always struggled with my mental health and not feeling passionate about anything in my life, so I just feel even more down than usual and I’m getting annoyed with myself that I feel so sad. My best friend has also left for a holiday for two months so I won’t see her for ages and I’m going to uni in September so we won’t even get to spend the summer together which also makes me really sad because I speak to her every single day. I don’t know if I’m just being dramatic but I just can’t stop feeling like this. I want to get a job so I have something to do with my time but I feel so unmotivated to do anything and it’s quite scary. I was even thinking about seeing a therapist. What do you think? I need to hear someone else’s take on this.
A therapist could help yeah. Might also be an idea to get some sort of hobby to occupy your time if you feel up to it? Learn a language, play a sport, do some art, music, read, whatever. What's your sleep like? Do you eat healthily? Exercise moderately? Getting all these things in to a healthier range could help you as well.
SuperHuman98
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I struggled with this problem same thing with you even during exam periods. But I managed to change things.

Firstly, deep down inside you know how to stop feeling like this. The answer is to just go out and do stuff. Sign up to a gym follow a workout programme if you are interested in excercise and its therapeutic benefits, or maybe join a local sports/martial arts club there are loads and you can continue in university.

Play video games?
Start your own blog? (It doesn't have to be perfect from the start but as you go along you get better).
Read?

There are loads of things you can do, and now is the best time to start getting stuck in

Also my 2nd piece of advice is to not to take life too seriously. You don't have to have things figured out and although it seems like people do have it figured out they are in the minoirty, and even they probably don't have things totally figured out when it comes to life purpose.

During university you will also be able to visit your friend/have them visit you. Hang in there during university you will have more of a clear purpose (Although it might not seem like it at the time)
Lostcause01
Rep:
?
(Original post by Pathway)
A therapist could help yeah. Might also be an idea to get some sort of hobby to occupy your time if you feel up to it? Learn a language, play a sport, do some art, music, read, whatever. What's your sleep like? Do you eat healthily? Exercise moderately? Getting all these things in to a healthier range could help you as well.
I actually don’t eat that often, I don’t have much of an appetite and I used to exercise a lot but haven’t been recently because I didn’t have time because of a levels but guess I have loads of time now dont I? I also don’t sleep a whole lot either.
Lostcause01
Rep:
?
(Original post by SuperHuman98)
I struggled with this problem same thing with you even during exam periods. But I managed to change things.

Firstly, deep down inside you know how to stop feeling like this. The answer is to just go out and do stuff. Sign up to a gym follow a workout programme if you are interested in excercise and its therapeutic benefits, or maybe join a local sports/martial arts club there are loads and you can continue in university.

Play video games?
Start your own blog? (It doesn't have to be perfect from the start but as you go along you get better).
Read?

There are loads of things you can do, and now is the best time to start getting stuck in

Also my 2nd piece of advice is to not to take life too seriously. You don't have to have things figured out and although it seems like people do have it figured out they are in the minoirty, and even they probably don't have things totally figured out when it comes to life purpose.

During university you will also be able to visit your friend/have them visit you. Hang in there during university you will have more of a clear purpose (Although it might not seem like it at the time)
Thank you for your reply, it realty helped me feel a bit better about things because it feels like I’m the only one feeling like this. I think it’s just everything all at once that’s make me feeling so down, but I’m going to try joining the gym and doing things or else I will wallow in my own self despair which is definitely not good!x
Pathway
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Lostcause01)
I actually don’t eat that often, I don’t have much of an appetite and I used to exercise a lot but haven’t been recently because I didn’t have time because of a levels but guess I have loads of time now dont I? I also don’t sleep a whole lot either.
Work on getting better sleep hygiene (Google it). Eat more and eat a variety of healthy foods (and not so healthy, don't go restricting yourself too much, that's just gonna cause more problems). Exercise moderately. You don't need to be excessive about it, just be active daily for around 30 minutes, you know? Don't let food or exercise consume your life.

Get a hobby though, get a bunch of them. They'll help you feel better mentally. And as you've said, you have loads of time now.

If things haven't improved or you still want to go to get some additional help right now, then yeah, go to your GP.
The RAR
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
OMG so relatable, I felt for the last....6 or 7 years the only purpose in my life was to study, study and study and now that A levels are over and you really can't study anymore since you are not going to school again....it feels like you have done your part when you were alive
Lostcause01
Rep:
?
(Original post by The RAR)
OMG so relatable, I felt for the last....6 or 7 years the only purpose in my life was to study, study and study and now that A levels are over and you really can't study anymore since you are not going to school again....it feels like you have done your part when you were alive
YES exactly. It’s such a weird feeling, All your life you’re told how important a levels are and getting into uni and stuff but nobody says anything about the bit in between where you’re like in limbo before uni starts.
mistysky06
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Feeling the exact same way. I used to draw and play guitar and have real hobbies before a levels, but for the past two years I just feel like I've spent most of my time studying or hanging out with my friends and I've kinda forgotten how to entertain myself. It's very strange having no obligations
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...

Are cats selfish

Yes (139)
61.23%
No (88)
38.77%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise