Bbc 1 now tory leader debate Watch

Burton Bridge
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
(Original post by the bear)
this Brexit™ farce has gone on long enough.only Boris is equipped to give the British Public what they want. the other candidates are willing to go soft, but Boris will stay hard until the end and will only pull out if people say No.
we have tried a TM, are desperate to avoid a JC; it is time for us to try a BJ....
Can't beat a BJ :cool:
harrysbar
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
this Brexit™ farce has gone on long enough.only Boris is equipped to give the British Public what they want. the other candidates are willing to go soft, but Boris will stay hard until the end and will only pull out if people say No.
we have tried a TM, are desperate to avoid a JC; it is time for us to try a BJ....
That may be so but something about the man just sticks in my throat....
RavenclawOwl
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Burton Bridge)
Who won the last national poll, the new party with no manifesto and one policy to LEAVE WITH NO DEAL!

We was told over and over it would mean leaving the single market and customd union.
Didn't get a majority vote though, and let's face it we can't honestly treat the European's as a second referendum because nobody can say which parties were for or against Brexit - it's open to interpretation based on personal bias.
Also I think you'll find people were promised all sorts -e.g. a Norway style deal, still in the customs union.
(Original post by bluebear25618)
(which is an insult to democracy anyway)
I can't understand how a vote would ever be an undemocratic way to decide something - unless of course on side of the debate lied and broke electoral rules only to not be reprimanded officially since the vote in question wasn't legally binding. Oh wait...
only Boris is equipped to give the British Public what they want.
Boris will stay hard until the end and will only pull out if people say No.
This guy is a liar and inept. You honestly think he will be good for our country? He seems to believe he can both cut taxes for the rich and improve mental health care, not sure how that works... not to mention that he wants a no deal. A hard Brexit in his eyes means no tariffs on Irish goods - on WTO rules that means no tariffs on ANYTHING from ANY country and our industries will be decimated. A hard Brexit is not the way forward.
username4706050
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
What's the point in a second referendum if the first result is just disregarded? Remainers will just keep voting until they get the result they want. That's not really the way our political system works. I'm guessing you've never studied something like history or law...Also there was no 'official reprimandings' for any imagined 'wrongdoings' because people in positions of legal power decided that the accusations had no real grounds. You know, people who have studied the law for years...
(Original post by RavenclawOwl)
I can't understand how a vote would ever be an undemocratic way to decide something - unless of course on side of the debate lied and broke electoral rules only to not be reprimanded officially since the vote in question wasn't legally binding. Oh wait...
RavenclawOwl
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Yes, and the people who have studied the law didn't want Brexit. Funny that!
You know, people who have studied the law for years...
username4706050
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
So they didn't want Brexit yet they found Leave campaigners innocent? Doesnt that contradict your point a little there? If Remainers cant find fault with the Leave campaign I dont think you're arguing the point you think you are unfortunately...
Yes, and the people who have studied the law didn't want Brexit. Funny that!
RavenclawOwl
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I think the government and the legal system are what I'm on about here. I'm well informed about the issue, don't need a law degree to have an opinion. Government knew more than us about this at the time of the vote and wanted remain, that's what I'm saying.
So they didn't want Brexit yet they found Leave campaigners innocent? Doesnt that contradict your point a little there? If Remainers cant find fault with the Leave campaign I dont think you're arguing the point you think you are unfortunately...
username4706050
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Yeah, and the government and legal system haven't found any evidence of all of this manipulation you keep taking about. You dont need a law degree, but perhaps a basic knowledge of history or politics may help a little here. Even like, secondary school level?? Government is quite a general term, and to say every person in government wanted remain is way too generalised and frankly incorrect. Nor do they represent the majority of the population, who, despite what you clearly wish had happened, voted leave. Whatever the government wants, they need to honour the people's decision. Thats how democracy works.
I think the government and the legal system are what I'm on about here. I'm well informed about the issue, don't need a law degree to have an opinion. Government knew more than us about this at the time of the vote and wanted remain, that's what I'm saying.
OriC13
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I mean, if there's anything people should be "obsessed" about, the autonomy of their government is definitely an extremely valid concern- I'd much rather our government be fully in charge of our decisions than have a good economy, even if both would obviously be the primary goal (and in the long run, implementing trading/economic policies made specifically to benefit the UK will likely see a better economy than we've had since the 2008 banking crisis). The Tories definitely aren't as united as they have been in recent years, but unfortunately, that's true for all of our political parties at the moment; a constitutional change will always prove divisive and the rise of extremist politics (both left and right wing) means that the stability of consensus politics is further behind us than it ever has been before, despite Thatcher's best attempts.
Just goes to show how obsessed with sovereignty people are - a member or the Brexit party said it'd take us 30 years to start seeing any economic benefits from Brexit. As for the Tory party - none of their candidates are fit to run this country. We're screwed and will probably be stuck with Boris.
RavenclawOwl
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Yeah, and the government and legal system haven't found any evidence of all of this manipulation you keep taking about. You dont need a law degree, but perhaps a basic knowledge of history or politics may help a little here. Even like, secondary school level?? Government is quite a general term, and to say every person in government wanted remain is way too generalised and frankly incorrect. Nor do they represent the majority of the population, who, despite what you clearly wish had happened, voted leave. Whatever the government wants, they need to honour the people's decision. Thats how democracy works.
Okay first of all that got a bit personal, don't need to insult my education - let's keep this friendly, I'm enjoying debating with you but it doesn't need to be about that. I know plenty about political history and knowledge of the Tudors isn't going to help there . Agree in regards to the government point, I mean that the 'government' in their own words campaigned to remain. And yes, obviously I wanted to remain, but I'm not old enough so I guess I'll just enjoy the next thirty years of recovery from the economic effects (as a member of the Brexit Party said). And yes there were legal problems with the Leave campaign - e.g spending over the allowed budget. They broke electoral rules but the court declared they couldn't hold another referendum before the first was only advisory.
(Original post by OriC13)
I mean, if there's anything people should be "obsessed" about, the autonomy of their government is definitely an extremely valid concern- I'd much rather our government be fully in charge of our decisions than have a good economy, even if both would obviously be the primary goal (and in the long run, implementing trading/economic policies made specifically to benefit the UK will likely see a better economy than we've had since the 2008 banking crisis). The Tories definitely aren't as united as they have been in recent years, but unfortunately, that's true for all of our political parties at the moment; a constitutional change will always prove divisive and the rise of extremist politics (both left and right wing) means that the stability of consensus politics is further behind us than it ever has been before, despite Thatcher's best attempts.
Haha not a fan of Thatcher but fair enough. Its something I've said similar in other threads, no real opposition left in politics. Every decision is best of a bad bunch!
username4706050
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I wouldnt call it personal if I dont know you or your education. Just an assumption you hadn't studied them, which you neither confirmed nor denied. I myself havent taken history to A Level, but I took Politics. And I actually believe a lot of history has a lot to do with it. You say knowledge of the Tudors wouldnt help in political knowledge, yet a lot of our political systems and ways of thinking originate from these times or way before, giving context to a lot of our political climate today. Even in the case that this 30 years of recovery occurs, I still believe in the long term it's the strongest decision, even if we have to be selfless and accept we may not directly see the strongest benefits in our time, but our children will. If the first referendum was advisory, the government have been advised. And I believe we should stick it out to the end, or we just make a mockery of the UK and what we stand for. You say history isnt relevant but all throughout history have been instances of the UK confirming that they represent democracy and free elections etc. By going against what they have been advised to do, they undermine everything they have always encouraged in other states. I'm sure you can understand that!
Okay first of all that got a bit personal, don't need to insult my education - let's keep this friendly, I'm enjoying debating with you but it doesn't need to be about that. I know plenty about political history and knowledge of the Tudors isn't going to help there . Agree in regards to the government point, I mean that the 'government' in their own words campaigned to remain. And yes, obviously I wanted to remain, but I'm not old enough so I guess I'll just enjoy the next thirty years of recovery from the economic effects (as a member of the Brexit Party said). And yes there were legal problems with the Leave campaign - e.g spending over the allowed budget. They broke electoral rules but the court declared they couldn't hold another referendum before the first was only advisory.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are cats selfish

Yes (144)
61.28%
No (91)
38.72%

Watched Threads