Dilemma With Dropping One of The A Levels Watch

New Wonder
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
Okay, so lets first give you all a bit of context. I am at the end of my first year of AS, studying Biology, Chemistry, Physics and Mathematics. I achieved 4As in our recent AS Exams but I am not sure whether I want to carry on with all 4 A Levels. Particularly, I think Physics will be somewhat of a drag because, from the personal experience of having taken it this year, it can take up a disproportionately large amount of time.

I want to study Medicine at Uni and my first choice uni will either be Imperial or Cambridge. As for predicted grades, my school is probably happy to predict me 4 A* for A Levels, should I carry on with all the A Levels next year.

Any thoughts/advice?
Last edited by New Wonder; 4 weeks ago
New Wonder
Rep:
?
Bump
_gcx
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
If you want to drop physics drop it. It won't disadvantage you in any way.
EdtheSnek
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
My last A-level exam is tomorrow morning but this year I studied Biology, Chemistry, Maths and Physics. Since the subjects lend to each other I din't feel like it was too much extra work (we'll have to wait till August to know for sure). In the end University offers are for 3 A-levels and the only reason I did 4 was to apply to Uni in Ireland.
New Wonder
Rep:
?
My only worry was that I am applying to some seriously competitive uni for a fiercely competitive course (i.e. Medicine) and I have heard that for Cambridge having 4A* prediction is better than 3A*. But, and I forgot to mention this in the post, I already have done an EPQ and got an A* (51/54) but waiting for external moderation). Do you think I can still produce a competitive application even without Physics?
(Original post by _gcx)
If you want to drop physics drop it. It won't disadvantage you in any way.
Quick-use
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by New Wonder)
My only worry was that I am applying to some seriously competitive uni for a fiercely competitive course (i.e. Medicine) and I have heard that for Cambridge having 4A* prediction is better than 3A*. But, and I forgot to mention this in the post, I already have done an EPQ and got an A* (51/54) but waiting for external moderation). Do you think I can still produce a competitive application even without Physics?
Not at all. Universities, including Oxbridge and Imperial, do not at all care about a 4th subject. It won't improve your application whatsoever. This is a false rumour spread by misguided and/or misinformed students and teachers. For medicine, the most important things are: grades in Bio and Chem + 1 more subject, aptitude tests like BMAT etc, interview and personal statement. That's it.

Don't risk your future in Medicine by doing 4 A levels and potentially not getting a good grade. Doing 3 A levels will be as competitive as doing a 4 because universities won't even look at an extra A level. It'll just be a non-factor.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 31 Jul '19
  • Staffordshire University
    Postgraduate open event - Stoke-on-Trent campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 7 Aug '19
  • University of Derby
    Foundation Open Event Further education
    Wed, 7 Aug '19

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (156)
17.65%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (76)
8.6%
No I am happy with my course choice (525)
59.39%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (127)
14.37%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed