Learning to Drive: Rate your driving instructor!

Watch
CheeseIsVeg
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago

Rate Your Driving Instructor

Are you learning to drive?
Have you passed your test?
How are you/did you find your driving instructor?

We want to know!

Things to consider:
-How friendly
-How easygoing
-How organised
-Helpful advice
-Constructive criticism
-First lesson fright - building confidence
-Theory tips
-Bad breath?

What is important to you in a driving instructor? I will start to learn to drive in the coming months so any advice appreciated :woo:

This week (commencing the 24th of June) the Learning to Drive section is the forum of the week! Do check it out as there are loads of fun and useful threads and articles around :yy:

:auto:
Last edited by 8472; 2 years ago
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
My first driving instructor was terrible. 2/10
Replaced him after a couple of lessons.

Ended up with someone else who was amazing. 10/10
Did a really good calming my nerves.
Constructive lesson planning and really good at adapting what we'd do for the time of day/traffic. :yy:
Bang Outta Order
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Aside from not letting me smoke my most recent instructor was a sound bloke, from Stafford I'll answer in full soon when I'm back home.
xoxAngel_Kxox
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
My first driving instructor was nice enough, we got on well, but she literally just took me round the estate where she lived, for about 8 months. I didn't know any better at the time but my dad (also a driving instructor by that time, but he hadn't qualified when I started) said that was really weird, and offered to teach me himself.

So he did. He's an amazing instructor, and although there was some friction because of our relationship with each other, he was still a great instructor, and I passed first time. He's now got a really long waiting list, and his pass rate is much higher than for our local test centre as a whole.
CheeseIsVeg
Rep:
?
(Original post by 8472)
My first driving instructor was terrible. 2/10
Replaced him after a couple of lessons.

Ended up with someone else who was amazing. 10/10
Did a really good calming my nerves.
Constructive lesson planning and really good at adapting what we'd do for the time of day/traffic. :yy:
o no
but nice :yy: sounds v organised!
(Original post by Bang Outta Order)
Aside from not letting me smoke my most recent instructor was a sound bloke, from Stafford I'll answer in full soon when I'm back home.
can't wait :borat:
(Original post by xoxAngel_Kxox)
My first driving instructor was nice enough, we got on well, but she literally just took me round the estate where she lived, for about 8 months. I didn't know any better at the time but my dad (also a driving instructor by that time, but he hadn't qualified when I started) said that was really weird, and offered to teach me himself.

So he did. He's an amazing instructor, and although there was some friction because of our relationship with each other, he was still a great instructor, and I passed first time. He's now got a really long waiting list, and his pass rate is much higher than for our local test centre as a whole.
aw that's so nice :hugs: what a wholesome tale!
NotNotBatman
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
10/10. He taught in a way I preferred, not by remembering all these mnemonics and rules, but by having a look. It took a long time, but I found it more useful and realistic than remembering 30 different rules. He taught roundabouts exceptionally well and was always calm despite me making many mistakes. I had many hours of lessons much more than the average person, I lost count, but I wouldn't be surprised if it was 3 digits and at no point did I feel stupid for taking so long to learn because he was very calm. He also told me what test centre to go with and their route was very easy because I'd been around there so many times.

I had another one during the holidays when I was away from uni; I'd give him a 6/10. He was too focused on rules 6 car lengths 1-2-1, mspslabc123 routine and he never let me drive to and from home, wasting a lot of time per lesson. But he taught very good awareness and planning.
CheeseIsVeg
Rep:
?
(Original post by NotNotBatman)
10/10. He taught in a way I preferred, not by remembering all these mnemonics and rules, but by having a look. It took a long time, but I found it more useful and realistic than remembering 30 different rules. He taught roundabouts exceptionally well and was always calm despite me making many mistakes. I had many hours of lessons much more than the average person, I lost count, but I wouldn't be surprised if it was 3 digits and at no point did I feel stupid for taking so long to learn because he was very calm. He also told me what test centre to go with and their route was very easy because I'd been around there so many times.

I had another one during the holidays when I was away from uni; I'd give him a 6/10. He was too focused on rules 6 car lengths 1-2-1, mspslabc123 routine and he never let me drive to and from home, wasting a lot of time per lesson. But he taught very good awareness and planning.
did you learn whilst at uni then?
roundabouts are scary :hide:
mixed bag the second one :erm:
NotNotBatman
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by CheeseIsVeg)
did you learn whilst at uni then?
roundabouts are scary :hide:
mixed bag the second one :erm:
I did learn whilst at uni. Roundabouts are scary at first, but if you've got a good instructor he'll teach you good lane discipline. I wanted to get roundabouts on my test despite being scared at first.
SomMC1
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
im doing my driving licence in August. I'm doing the fast 1 month one. So im excited to finally know how to drive my mom's big car
CheeseIsVeg
Rep:
?
I did learn whilst at uni. Roundabouts are scary at first, but if you've got a good instructor he'll teach you good lane discipline. I wanted to get roundabouts on my test despite being scared at first.
How did you find it? Like is it manageable and stuff? Am a bit scared I may start lessons and get overwhelmed a bit
That sounds really good :hugs: Do you have a car now?
CheeseIsVeg
Rep:
?
(Original post by SomMC1)
im doing my driving licence in August. I'm doing the fast 1 month one. So im excited to finally know how to drive my mom's big car
ooo let me know how it goes :woo:
was thinking of doing something similar but I filled up my month with a job instead :/
NotNotBatman
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
How did you find it? Like is it manageable and stuff? Am a bit scared I may start lessons and get overwhelmed a bit
That sounds really good :hugs: Do you have a car now?
It was very manageable. 90 mins per week isn't a lot of time, sometimes even got 180 mins per week.

Well I had no idea how cars worked at all. No one in my family drives and I never had interest in them. My knowledge was really bad, I didn't know a clutch pedal was a thing, didn't know what it meant when someone flashed their beams, didn't know what a gearstick was for etc. So it was overwhelming for me too, but a good instructor should get you comfortable.

After seeing the lowest quote for insurance at £1.7k for a £1.2k second hand car, I've decided to do a bit of saving first
Blue_Cow
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago

Rate Your Driving Instructor

Are you learning to drive?
Have you passed your test?
How are you/did you find your driving instructor?

We want to know!

Things to consider:
-How friendly
-How easygoing
-How organised
-Helpful advice
-Constructive criticism
-First lesson fright - building confidence
-Theory tips
-Bad breath?

What is important to you in a driving instructor? I will start to learn to drive in the coming months so any advice appreciated :woo:

This week (commencing the 24th of June) the Learning to Drive section is the forum of the week! Do check it out as there are loads of fun and useful threads and articles around :yy:

:auto:
8/10 for my first and only instructor

Extremely friendly, but also assertive when he needed to be in order to teach/reinforce a particular point in the Highway Code.

Very organised, even though he was strictly paper diary based, none of that electronic stuff :rofl: Always turned up no later than 5 minutes, and would always make sure I had the full hour to drive and learn.

A friend referred him to me, imo this is the best way to find driving instructors - people who tell you to use XYZ School aren't really helping you all that much, as the quality of instructor can vary so much

I think to overcome first lesson nerves you need to trust both yourself, and your instructor. They have a clutch and brake pedal on their side, and they're trained to intervene/steer and even change gear for you from their side in case of an emergency. They will keep you safe!

The theory test is a piece of piss. Easiest test you'll ever do - just have a bit of common sense and perhaps run through a few practice tests a few days before the test day.
goldilocks12
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I passed my test last week!
I'd rate my instructor about a 7/10, she was really friendly but I felt like she was dragging things out a little. She'd have me going the same routes (which were not test routes at my centre) for 3-4 lessons even though they had very little on them, just give ways. She also was sometimes late and didn't compensate for it at the end of lessons. Apart from that she was patient and explained things really well.
I'm honestly not sure where my parents found her number because the guy my brother used died (unrelated to his career choice ) so I think my parents picked a random one from our local Facebook group but it all worked out in the end I guess!
CheeseIsVeg
Rep:
?
(Original post by Blue_Cow)
8/10 for my first and only instructor

Extremely friendly, but also assertive when he needed to be in order to teach/reinforce a particular point in the Highway Code.

Very organised, even though he was strictly paper diary based, none of that electronic stuff :rofl: Always turned up no later than 5 minutes, and would always make sure I had the full hour to drive and learn.

A friend referred him to me, imo this is the best way to find driving instructors - people who tell you to use XYZ School aren't really helping you all that much, as the quality of instructor can vary so much

I think to overcome first lesson nerves you need to trust both yourself, and your instructor. They have a clutch and brake pedal on their side, and they're trained to intervene/steer and even change gear for you from their side in case of an emergency. They will keep you safe!

The theory test is a piece of piss. Easiest test you'll ever do - just have a bit of common sense and perhaps run through a few practice tests a few days before the test day.
sounds good :yy:
yeah I wish I had friends here who learned to drive :rolleyes: am just going off online reviews

everyone keeps saying that but apparently there are cows? :dontknow:
would be quite distracting doing my theory test and then wahayy Blue_Cew makes a star appearance

It was very manageable. 90 mins per week isn't a lot of time, sometimes even got 180 mins per week.

Well I had no idea how cars worked at all. No one in my family drives and I never had interest in them. My knowledge was really bad, I didn't know a clutch pedal was a thing, didn't know what it meant when someone flashed their beams, didn't know what a gearstick was for etc. So it was overwhelming for me too, but a good instructor should get you comfortable.

After seeing the lowest quote for insurance at £1.7k for a £1.2k second hand car, I've decided to do a bit of saving first
Oh okay

lol

aha maybe that's a good shout :lol: scary money that!

(Original post by goldilocks12)
I passed my test last week!
I'd rate my instructor about a 7/10, she was really friendly but I felt like she was dragging things out a little. She'd have me going the same routes (which were not test routes at my centre) for 3-4 lessons even though they had very little on them, just give ways. She also was sometimes late and didn't compensate for it at the end of lessons. Apart from that she was patient and explained things really well.
I'm honestly not sure where my parents found her number because the guy my brother used died (unrelated to his career choice ) so I think my parents picked a random one from our local Facebook group but it all worked out in the end I guess!
ooh well done :yay: :woo:
:/ well not bad I guess
:erm: seemed to have worked out so good job I guess :yy:
Blue_Cow
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
sounds good :yy:
yeah I wish I had friends here who learned to drive :rolleyes: am just going off online reviews

everyone keeps saying that but apparently there are cows? :dontknow:
would be quite distracting doing my theory test and then wahayy Blue_Cew makes a star appearance
The DVSA paid a good sum of money for my exclusive Blue_Cew (Trademark) appearance :smug:
CheeseIsVeg
Rep:
?
explains ur new long car :noway:
The DVSA paid a good sum of money for my exclusive Blue_Cew (Trademark) appearance :smug:
Blue_Cow
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
explains ur new long car :noway:
Wish it was mine
CheeseIsVeg
Rep:
?
Wish it was mine
:auto: mine now
Blue_Cow
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
:auto: mine now
:grumble:
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (17)
28.33%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (4)
6.67%
No I am happy with my choice (36)
60%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (3)
5%

Watched Threads