Competitive friends - how to deal with them? Watch

Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
friends, friends, friends
So basically, I am so annoyed right now and I needed a place to rant and to get some advice.
So, I am one of those students who always (nearly always) gets top marks in the class. Naturally, people will get jealous.
But I could not believe that Friend 1 told Friend 2 that she wanted to beat me. This was so upsetting.
Previously, I helped this person to understand things in Bio/Chem/Phys and Maths and now they want to beat me? I don't know if I am being irrational and too harsh on Friend 1 but I dislike her now.

I am one of those people who is always willing to help, which is why I did help her. And I am also one of those people who thinks your greatest competition is you. So this means, when I am doing an exam, my competition is my previous percentage.

But why do these competitive people make someone else their competition.

I told my sibling about this incident and she suggested that I don't help her anymore and don't tell anyone my results.

TLDR: What do you do when you have competitive friends who want to beat you, even though you have no intention of getting higher than them?
Anonymous #2
Report 4 weeks ago
I’m I’m in the same situation. I’m just not friends with them anymore because I don’t need their negative energy
SuperHuman98
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Thats their problem. You just do you and focus on being better than you were yesterday, while they focus on comparing themselves to others.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by SuperHuman98)
Thats their problem. You just do you and focus on being better than you were yesterday, while they focus on comparing themselves to others.
This is defo what I am thinking rn
Anonymous #1
Does anyone in GCSE keep their results to themselves? if so, how does that go down with your friends and classmates?
xoxAngel_Kxox
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
This used to do my head in at school. A friend I had used to be really happy when she beat me at maths, as I was always generally a bit better than her (though not the smartest by any means) at all subjects. I'd get Bs and she'd get Cs, that kind of thing.

Firstly, bragging about beating anyone is stupid, but even more so if it's your friend, because although you're bigging yourself up you're also putting them down, which isn't cool.

Secondly, exams aren't about beating your friends. They're about doing the best YOU can. When you send in your uni application, they ask for grades, not how many people - or who - you beat in your class.

If they want to have this attitude then fine.. but just focus on yourself and your own achievements.
Kvothe the Arcane
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I do not understand why it matters to you if she beats you. Even if you are competitive yourself, the attitude "how dare she think she can beat me" stinks of a big ego tbh. Perhaps you should be pleased that your friend is ambitious.
Did you expect that they would always be bad at the subject after you helped them?
Anonymous #3
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Kvothe the Arcane)
I do not understand why it matters to you if she beats you. Even if you are competitive yourself, the attitude "how dare she think she can beat me" stinks of a big ego tbh. Perhaps you should be pleased that your friend is ambitious.
Did you expect that they would always be bad at the subject after you helped them?
Wow I don't understand how you can say this tbh

I don't think OP meant what you said - "how dare she think she can beat me"
I just think what the OP meant is that they were annoyed at how her friend was comparing herself to the OP

People with this competitive attitude are not good to have as friends anyway - I would not call them friends.

Yes, the OP should be pleased that her friend is being ambitious but it can be ambitious with a goal of her own in mind e.g. I want to get >80% not just "Oh I want to beat her because she is the best" because the OP can get only 40% and if she beats her by 1% that is not ambitious

Wow TSR!!
Anonymous #3
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Kvothe the Arcane)
Plus ambition is not about beating someone!
batter mix
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Just ignore that part of their personalities.

I know easier said than done but what you gonna do fam. It's a part of them so ignore and move on.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (156)
17.67%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (76)
8.61%
No I am happy with my course choice (524)
59.34%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (127)
14.38%

Watched Threads