The Student Room Group

Can I take a graphic design degree without the A Level?

Hi, realistically, would it be possible to do an art degree (like graphic design) without having done the A Level? I'm really interested in becoming a graphic designer although I really love biology. I'm predicted high grades in both art and bio, however, I can't take both subjects in the Sixth Form place I want to go into. I'm considering just taking Bio and develop my portfolio in my free time.

I've done my research and in some universities - like Edinburgh and UWE - you can send in a portfolio without having done the art A Level. Even if that's all they require, is it actually realistically possible to make my portfolio outside school? Or is it better to just take the art A Level? I do have quite a bit of graphic designing experience on me, so I guess that's a bit of an advantage.
I have to admit the sound of it is quite ludicrous especially since a portfolio should include work from around the year to showcase your development throughout studying the course. Putting together a portfolio will also usually require the help of one of your tutors so if you’re thinking of studying it in 2020 it might be worth taking to the graphics tutor at your facility so that they can help you and get you more information. If you have any chance to do some sort of Graphics course over the summer definitely snap up the opportunity as regardless of wether they need the a level they will still look for experience!

Best of luck,
Owen
Ah yeah, I understand what you're saying. I will probably try to develop my portfolio whenever I'm not studying, although I realise that does put me at a disadvantage rather than taking the course itself haha. Thanks for the advice, I'll try talking to my graphics tutor
Original post by EurovisjiaOwen
I have to admit the sound of it is quite ludicrous especially since a portfolio should include work from around the year to showcase your development throughout studying the course. Putting together a portfolio will also usually require the help of one of your tutors so if you’re thinking of studying it in 2020 it might be worth taking to the graphics tutor at your facility so that they can help you and get you more information. If you have any chance to do some sort of Graphics course over the summer definitely snap up the opportunity as regardless of wether they need the a level they will still look for experience!

Best of luck,
Owen

Quick Reply

Latest