Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    HI, im have a problem. I think i mite do engineering (you can tell if you my other thread:p: ) but the problems i know i flopped physics and i have feelings its gonna be a D or below (hope not though)

However all the other subjects i believe will give good results espicially Maths. So how much of a disadvantage am I in?

Will I have to take a gap year. Because I really don't want to with the new A* grades coming in.

Im thinkin of applying UCL and KCL, also Liverpool and the rest ill figure out

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jakdax77)
    HI, im have a problem. I think i mite do engineering (you can tell if you my other thread:p: ) but the problems i know i flopped physics and i have feelings its gonna be a D or below (hope not though)

However all the other subjects i believe will give good results espicially Maths. So how much of a disadvantage am I in?

Will I have to take a gap year. Because I really don't want to with the new A* grades coming in.

Im thinkin of applying UCL and KCL, also Liverpool and the rest ill figure out

Thanks
    um i am not sure but i wouldnt worry too much you can always resit physics

ReputationRep:
    Those are very difficult unis to get into, so u might be pushing it with a D unless your other A-levels are AAA-ABB.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    if you do get a D (there's no guarantee you will, often things seem worse than they are), then you would probably be aiming kinda high yeah. there are too many other things to consider atm though, wait and see what you get.

ReputationRep:
    yeh im quite confident about my other alevels being those grades
    and I am resitting physics definetly lol
    but again that teacher the universities will know my AS grades even before I DO!

ReputationRep:
    I think your teachers getting confused with A2 Level(Year 13) when the unis do know your grades before you do. If your in year 12 doing AS then the universities have no way of knowing what you have got before you do as its not even possible to apply to them before you get your results.

I'm not sure how it all works now with what you have to tell universities about AS grades as they keep changing it. I'm sure someone else will be able to tell you, but I know they don't get them before you do as they don't even who you are at that stage.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jakdax77)
    Hi, I have a problem. I think I might do engineering, but the problem is that I know I flopped Physics and I have a feeling I might be receiving a D or below.

However, I believe I can get good results in all my other subjects, especially in Maths. So how much of a disadvantage am I at?

Will I have to take a gap year? Because I really don't want to with the new A* grades coming in.

I'm thinking of applying to UCL and KCL, as well as Liverpool, and I'll figure out the rest.

Thanks
    Good god, the spelling and punctuation on this forum is atrocious.
    Yes, a D will be a problem. Most potential UCL and KCL engineers will have As in Physics and Maths.

However you appear to only be studying at AS-level now. If you can get good predicted A-Levels grades, you can apply to university this year and resit to get your grades up. If you can't get predicted good A-Level grades, then yes you will have to take a gap year. However I don't see why the new A* grades will affect you. If you resit your AS modules and get As overall in your A-levels then you can apply to university in your gap year without needing to resit.

Let me warn you that resiting A-Levels in your gap year will be looked down upon. After all you are taking three years to achieve what most people do in two.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rosie151)
    Good god, the spelling and punctuation on this forum is atrocious.
    Yes, a D will be a problem. Most potential UCL and KCL engineers will have As in Physics and Maths.

However you appear to only be studying at AS-level now. If you can get good predicted A-Levels grades, you can apply to university this year and resit to get your grades up. If you can't get predicted good A-Level grades, then yes you will have to take a gap year. However I don't see why the new A* grades will affect you. If you resit your AS modules and get As overall in your A-levels then you can apply to university in your gap year without needing to resit.

Let me warn you that resiting A-Levels in your gap year will be looked down upon. After all you are taking three years to achieve what most people do in two.
    Good advice here.
    At AS-Level when you're applying to uni they're not taking actual AS grades into account as much as predicted grades. Obviously to choose between two candidates there would some consideration, but when the universities are first sifting through piles of applications predicted A2 grades are what they're looking for.
    If you can convince your teachers of your capability of getting an A next year then you should be fine, and don't need to be worrying about a gap year yet.

ReputationRep:
    If it's only AS then a good idea is to resit some modules in january and ask your teacher to give you a high predicted grade. I know someone who got a D in one of her modules in chemistry, resat that and ended up getting an A overall (That includes AS and A2)

ReputationRep:
    but if i do resits it will be in january, won;t that be too late?

ReputationRep:
    do you HAVE to do physics to A2? cant you drop it this year, and do retakes to get it up to a B?

i got a C in physics at AS which was a weakness on my application, i've retaken a module to try and get it up to a B

ReputationRep:
    OP which displine are you applying for? I'm going to stick my neck out and say from my own experiences that UCL (and almost certainly not KCL) engineering isn't that competitive - certainly not as much as people on here are making it out to be. Though this does very much depends on the discipline.

While a D in Physics is a bit conspicuous, there are a number of students who apply with out Physics. People have a tendency to assume the worst, so I would wait until you do get your results before you make any hasty judgements. If worst comes to worst, try to arrange some work experience with an engineering company, write a good PS and resit. Oh and I think universities will be a bit hesitant to issue out A* offers in the first year. And if I recall correctly you get A*s by getting 90% in your A2 modules - people applying will have only had their AS grades so I don't think many people will have an A* grade, if at all.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Denny Crane)
    Those are very difficult unis to get into, so u might be pushing it with a D unless your other A-levels are AAA-ABB.
    Not for those courses.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: June 13, 2008

University open days

• University of Bradford
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    All Faculties Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Heriot-Watt University
    All Schools Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.