For guys: do compliments from girls affect you? Watch

Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
A few girls flirt with me and compliment me both on my personality and looks but no matter what I have very low self-esteem. Do other guys feel like this? do compliments have a positive impact on your self-esteem?
ecolier
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
A few girls flirt with me and compliment me both on my personality and looks but no matter what I have very low self-esteem. Do other guys feel like this? do compliments have a positive impact on your self-esteem?
It never happens to me :cry2: so I wouldn't know

But seriously of course it will have a positive impact on self-esteem, it's supposed to do that, that is one of the reasons why people compliment!
FakeNewsEditor
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Depends on what you mean by compliment (I swear I am not Jordan Peterson). I don't regard being called ''cute'' as a compliment for example. Nor is telling me they like my hair/eyelashes/teeth/etc an actual compliment. Girls compliment their friends like that. The more... intimate the compliment, the more it means something? does that make sense?

A pretty hot Russian girl called me ''sexy'' once and I remember my self-esteem exploding that day. Really, people with self-esteem are living the life, I wish it would last but it doesn't. It's a bottomless pit.
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
(Original post by ecolier)
It never happens to me :cry2: so I wouldn't know

But seriously of course it will have a positive impact on self-esteem, it's supposed to do that, that is one of the reasons why people compliment!
idk they dont make me feel any better about myself
ANM775
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by FakeNewsEditor)
Depends on what you mean by compliment (I swear I am not Jordan Peterson). I don't regard being called ''cute'' as a compliment for example. Nor is telling me they like my hair/eyelashes/teeth/etc an actual compliment. Girls compliment their friends like that.
I disagree. A girl at a party once came and made conversation with me and at some point she told me she likes my hair.

girls do not walk upto randoms at parties and compliment their hair unless they find you attractive.

Another example is once I was on a course. This guy and girl was part of a friendship group, he came in one day in a suit and she said he looked handsome. Lets look at the context here, they are friends within a friendship group … he's made an extra effort with his clothing and she's complimented him. Does she find him sexually attractive in a dating context? being called "handsome" is a stronger compliment than someone complimenting your hair, ...but considering the whole context … I think the guy would be being somewhat optimistic to start assuming stuff.

context is key imo..
ANM775
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by FakeNewsEditor)
Depends on what you mean by compliment (I swear I am not Jordan Peterson). I don't regard being called ''cute'' as a compliment for example. Nor is telling me they like my hair/eyelashes/teeth/etc an actual compliment. Girls compliment their friends like that. The more... intimate the compliment, the more it means something? does that make sense?

A pretty hot Russian girl called me ''sexy'' once and I remember my self-esteem exploding that day. Really, people with self-esteem are living the life, I wish it would last but it doesn't. It's a bottomless pit.

cute is another one where you have to look at the context, I could give several real life examples but shaln't as too much examples comes across as big headed and I've already given some.
ANM775
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
depends on the compliment tbh...
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (158)
17.73%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (77)
8.64%
No I am happy with my course choice (529)
59.37%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (127)
14.25%

Watched Threads