Manchester chemical engineering with industrial experience leniency Watch

craddling
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
I have a conditional offer of A*AA for chemical engineering with industrial experience at Manchester university. The university also said that if I do not achieve A*AA but AAA they will also accept me into chemical engineering without industrial experience. Because the IAL u5 chemistry paper was especially hard this year I may get A*A*(maths and physics) and B for chemistry. In this case would I still get in?
LuigiMario
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I have just had an (generic) email from ********** University, saying "Good Luck in your exams" - it continued "hope you get what we requested for your conditional offer, but if you don't - then phone us up" nice

in your specific case, a probably A* Maths will help your case a lot, and I think until you get your actual Chemistry results (moderated by everyone else's mark in the same exams - if it's a hard test, then the same percentile of students will still 'float' to an A, rather than nowadays being an absolute fixed grade percentage - if I understand correctly) then you might be worrying unnecessarily.

By all means have a "plan B", phone MU up on results day, negotiate to get in, then once in the course work hard (in the completely different university way, with better teachers) and you'll probably be streamed back into placement possibilities again

and there's always Adjustment/Clearing day on August 15th 2019, Edinburgh, Strathclyde, Imperial, Birmingham are all OK alternatives for Chem Eng.
Last edited by LuigiMario; 4 weeks ago
returnmigrant
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
The simple, and honest, answer to all these questions is ...... no-one knows.

Until they get the A level results (5 days before you do) the Universities have no idea how many people will fulfil their offers.
So, they have no idea how many spaces, if any, there might be on any of their courses. Only at that point can they decide which 'near miss' to take and/or whether to put that course into Clearing/Adjustment to get the high grades they want.

Its natural to think you have done badly, and worry about this. But the chances are that you have done okay, that you will get the grades they want, and you will be going to Uni in September. Now the exams are done, there really is nothing you can do about this, so try not to fixate on 'what ifs' and find something else to do for the rest of the summer that has nothing to do with school/study.

PS. Useful guide to Results Day (and what can happen) here - for everyone : https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/res...el-results-day
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 31 Jul '19
  • Staffordshire University
    Postgraduate open event - Stoke-on-Trent campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 7 Aug '19
  • University of Derby
    Foundation Open Event Further education
    Wed, 7 Aug '19

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (160)
17.66%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (78)
8.61%
No I am happy with my course choice (540)
59.6%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (128)
14.13%

Watched Threads