Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Can someone help my friend work this out:

He has finished a BA degree at Kings, and is awaiting results. However, he is unaware to the degree structre.

Can you explain how the results are calculated? In a book it says "in determining the final class of degree the examiners will take into account the broad range of student's marks but place greater emphasis on 2nd and 3rd year units"

Does anyone know exactly how this works? Is your first year worth 10%, your second 30% and your 3rd 60% or something else?

Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    It's 11.1 33.3 and 66.6 I think, and then they do this really weird weighting thing where they take your best results and multiply some things and add them and divide them. It absolutely makes no sense, I cannot understand it to be honest! Is he wanting to try and estimate what he might get? I think the best thing would be just to wait for the results.

ReputationRep:
    Yes he is, he said the same thing but i couldnt find the info on the KCL site. Anyone got some concrete info on how its done.

ReputationRep:
    Its so much more complicated than most people would expect. And I'm not simply talking about ratios and percentages.

ReputationRep:
    I will try and post a link of the 40 slide, power point presentation of how these are calculated if I can find it...

ReputationRep:
    If you could do that Slick 'n' Shady it would be greatly appreciated.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Eidolon)
    It's 11.1 33.3 and 66.6 I think, and then they do this really weird weighting thing where they take your best results and multiply some things and add them and divide them. It absolutely makes no sense, I cannot understand it to be honest! Is he wanting to try and estimate what he might get? I think the best thing would be just to wait for the results.
    Yeah, maybe. If your degree is out of 110%...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thestylishkidintheriot)
    Yeah, maybe. If your degree is out of 110%...
    Haha. Burn-n-n :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Slick 'n' Shady)
    I will try and post a link of the 40 slide, power point presentation of how these are calculated if I can find it...

Any luck?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SamLowry)
    Any luck?
    Yes I found it.
    Small problem is that its on the secure department website, so even if I give you the link you wont be able to access it without a DCS user name and password.

I would have sent you the file itself, but I think its on the secure website for a reason.

It was 22 slides by the way.
    Here is a screen shot of one of the formulas to show how complicated it is:

---photoshack isn't working now, I'l put up a shot later

ReputationRep:
    Still not working, PM me your friends email address and il send him the link, he might be able to get on with his KCL user name.

SnS

ReputationRep:
    You don't know?

What degree are you on.

Most Humanities degrees (and plenty of non-Humanities subjects too) have a 1/9, 3/9, 5/9 balance.

ReputationRep:
    I made a post to help explain how to calculate your degree classification I score thing previously...

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...8#post11509988

(that's assuming the 1/9, 3/9, 5/9 scoring for your degree)

ReputationRep:
    I am so glad that's not how they calculate medicine results.
    We've just got a plain standarised curve, as far as I'm aware.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: June 14, 2008
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.