Labour's Stella Creasy blasts Commons maternity rules Watch

z-hog
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
Bit of a situation here, she says she is being made to choose between being an MP or a mother...

it has become "impossible" to square her professional and personal life as she accused parliamentary authorities of offering expectant mothers no financial help with constituency work.
because...

the Independent Parliamentary Standards Authority still did not "recognise" the need for MPs to take on extra help with their casework while pregnant or raising young children.
She says she's been made to beg for help with her workload and wants some help with it in terms of money. It's all here, they're all very concerned, The Labour party, the Guardian, the BBC, the Greens, the lot.

https://www.politicshome.com/news/uk...mons-maternity

She's been in Parliament since 2010, has suffered two miscarriages and is pregnant again so it is a safe bet to assume she has pro-actively been trying to get pregnant as an MP. What does she mean by being forced to choose between motherhood and politics, she's chosen both and this is just more leftist/feminist snowflakery. Bless her, she has very little else to talk about.
Napp
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
If women in industry can manage surely an MP can... even if they only earn a paltry £76k, to sit around not doing much apparently.
limetang
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Personally if I were one of her constituents I’d be quite pissed off if she quit her duties to choose to have a child while in office. An MP isn’t a regular job, you and only you are the representative of your constituents. It can’t be filled in by someone else.
JohanGRK
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Genuine question: What sort of additional hardship do female MPs who are pregnant face? The article only suggests 'constituency duties'.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are cats selfish

Yes (144)
61.28%
No (91)
38.72%

Watched Threads