Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I'd just like to hear some opinions please. Basically, I reapplied this year and got a place at Oxford to study Experimental Psych. However, as an international students, fees are immense and it now seems the case that I cannot take up my place. It is a tad more complicated than that but a pain to explain.

Obviously, it is very disappointing that I have to give up something I've always wanted and I'm wondering if anybody is in the position to offer some advice on how to 'deal with it'.

Cheers.

ReputationRep:
    ask if you can defer for a year to get your fee status sorted out?

ReputationRep:
    Contact your college and tell them about your situation - they may be able to help you out. It's worth a try.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Azn117)
    Hi,

I'd just like to hear some opinions please. Basically, I reapplied this year and got a place at Oxford to study Experimental Psych. However, as an international students, fees are immense and it now seems the case that I cannot take up my place. It is a tad more complicated than that but a pain to explain.

Obviously, it is very disappointing that I have to give up something I've always wanted and I'm wondering if anybody is in the position to offer some advice on how to 'deal with it'.

Cheers.
    Would you happen to be from a country that is part of the Commonwealth of Nations? If so, you may be able to get a Commonwealth scholarship.

Worth a try, as are the two above suggestions.

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

Cheers.
    Fight tooth and nail to hold on to your place and don't give up. Don't let it slip so easily because you might regret it later. It was your dream. Now that you've got it in your grasp, don't let it go.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by dealbreaker)
    Fight tooth and nail to hold on to your place and don't give up. Don't let it slip so easily because you might regret it later. It was your dream. Now that you've got it in your grasp, don't let it go.
    Yes, but how exactly is the OP meant to do that? If they can't afford the fees, they can't afford the fees.

ReputationRep:
    Are there any scholarships you can apply for? Do you qualify for any bursaries?
    Can you defer your place for a year, maybe even two years, and go work and earn as much cash as possible?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Athena)
    Yes, but how exactly is the OP meant to do that? If they can't afford the fees, they can't afford the fees.
    Where there's a will, there's a way! Just keep looking and trying.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dealbreaker)
    Where there's a will, there's a way!
    Realistically, that isn't always true. However OP has plenty of suggestions, so it's a start.

ReputationRep:
    Talk to your college and/or to admissions immediately. The university may be able to help you.

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

Cheers.
    1) Talk to the college/university
    2) What country are you from? There should be some system of student aid
    3) Look for scholarships, grants and bursaries.

ReputationRep:
    i am so sorry about that but like many people have told you talk to your university.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the replies.

Believe me, I've tried, had a few opportunities but the scholarship route didn't quite pan out. It's a fairly competitive sport, winning a scholarship here - Singapore. And I can't quite blame any factor but myself. Thus the additional disappointment. Right now, I guess I'm trying to come to terms with the fact that I got Oxford, but I'm not good enough to go. (if it makes sense...)

I haven't emailed my college yet because I was worried they would simply hand over this place to someone else. Silly, I know. Anyway, I doubt there is much the college can do as they aren't any undergrad scholarships for internationals. I reckon someone asked this before. But I think I'll email the college soon to inform them of my situation and ask to be deferred.

When there's a will there's a way? I'd like to think that! But I'm slowly but surely losing hope.

ReputationRep:
    I guess I'm trying to come to terms with the fact that I got Oxford, but I'm not good enough to go. (if it makes sense...)
    You're still good enough! It must be frustrating, but not being able to afford it does not mean you aren't good enough.

I haven't emailed my college yet because I was worried they would simply hand over this place to someone else.
    The offers have already been handed out - they can't give the place to someone else now.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the replies.

Believe me, I've tried, had a few opportunities but the scholarship route didn't quite pan out. It's a fairly competitive sport, winning a scholarship here - Singapore. And I can't quite blame any factor but myself. Thus the additional disappointment. Right now, I guess I'm trying to come to terms with the fact that I got Oxford, but I'm not good enough to go. (if it makes sense...)

I haven't emailed my college yet because I was worried they would simply hand over this place to someone else. Silly, I know. Anyway, I doubt there is much the college can do as they aren't any undergrad scholarships for internationals. I reckon someone asked this before. But I think I'll email the college soon to inform them of my situation and ask to be deferred.

When there's a will there's a way? I'd like to think that! But I'm slowly but surely losing hope.
    You're not just any international - you're from a Commonwealth state.

Singapore, no less, with Old Chang Kee aplenty

ReputationRep:
    Don't oxford have a policy that nobody should be prevented from attending because of financial difficulties? :|

ReputationRep:
    I know exactly how you feel. I've been offered a place at Oxford for postgrad study but I'm also unable to meet the financial requirements. I haven't officially declined my place yet as I'm still clinging onto the hope that I might win the lottery or something, but it's looking rather unlikely (particularly as I have yet to buy a single lottery ticket).

I'm not going to take a year out as I have offers from places which are equally good for my subject and don't require me to prove that I have stupid amounts of money in order to go there, but it still hurts to think I have to turn them down. I guess I'll just try again for PhD

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FoeGeddaBowDeet)
    Don't oxford have a policy that nobody should be prevented from attending because of financial difficulties? :|
    Thanks to the way that higher education in the UK works, though, endowments don't come out to be nearly as high as US institutions, which can provide such services.

In any case, talk to your college!
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by FoeGeddaBowDeet)
    As far as I know, that only applies to home students, though.

ReputationRep:
    If you deferred for a year, is it possible you could reapply for scholarships? Is there something you could do with the year that's worthwhile?

Poll
Did you get less than your required grades and still get into university?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.