Swansea University Clearing Thread 2019 Watch

Swansea University Enquiries
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
Hi all,

With the academic year drawing to a close, many of you may now be thinking about university plans. Will you go? Are you happy with your choice of university? Do you want to make contingency plans in case things don't go as planned?

With that in mind, welcome to the Swansea University Clearing Thread 2019!

If you're weighing up your options, please feel free to register your interest with us for Clearing. We can then keep in touch with you as things progress, and you can save yourself time once results come through should you wish to apply.

Already have all of your results? Why wait! We are now advertising Clearing vacancies that you can apply for.

As always, you can also get in touch with queries by emailing [email protected] or calling 01792 295111.

I'll be keeping an eye on this thread if anyone has any questions. With that being said, I wish everyone the very best of luck come results day!

Jamie
Last edited by Swansea University Enquiries; 4 days ago
wazzasoft
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
What are the usual entry requirements for clearing?
Rep:
?
(Original post by wazzasoft)
What are the usual entry requirements for clearing?
A good question, but not a simple one to answer.

Clearing entry requirements can be quite changeable - we will be monitoring the situation for each course in a number of ways, for example things like number of spaces remaining and the country-wide performance of students this year heading into university nationwide. Based on those factors, the entry requirements may in fact change throughout the Clearing period, and such we don't advertise them - the last thing we want is for somebody to miss out, for example, because they were reading information somewhere that was out of date by a few days.

What I will say is that there can be a drop in requirements for a number of courses, so it's never a bad idea to go for something if you are interested. Direct Clearing applications don't cost any money, get quick responses and do not put you in a position of commitment (we sort out many of the formalities such as evidence of qualifications a bit later in the process for Clearing to help people get their plans sorted out as quickly as possible), so if in doubt we would always recommend finding out directly by applying.

It's not quite what you asked I know, but I hope that helps!

Jamie
Suzanne10
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
If a student decided on Pharmacology as the chosen subject and has selected Swansea Medical Pharmacology BSc as their UCAS insurance choice.If they don't get the grades asked for will they automatically be considered for a place on the Applied Medical Science BSc with foundation at Swansea University (so long as the grades achieved fit with the entrance requirements)?Or do they need to make preparations to go through clearing?Many thanks
Rep:
?
(Original post by Suzanne10)
If a student decided on Pharmacology as the chosen subject and has selected Swansea Medical Pharmacology BSc as their UCAS insurance choice.If they don't get the grades asked for will they automatically be considered for a place on the Applied Medical Science BSc with foundation at Swansea University (so long as the grades achieved fit with the entrance requirements)?Or do they need to make preparations to go through clearing?Many thanks
Hi Suzanne10,

We would indeed! As you say, so long as the student is meeting the grades that we're accepting onto the course in clearing, we will automatically consider them for the AMS foundation rather than send an outright rejection.

Jamie
Prashanthsambath
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I got an admit for msc nanoscience to nanotechnology at Swansea uni and Nanomaterials and materials science at sheffield?
Help me in choosing.
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by Prashanthsambath)
I got an admit for msc nanoscience to nanotechnology at Swansea uni and Nanomaterials and materials science at sheffield?
Help me in choosing.
Hi Prashanthsambath,

I've just got in touch with our College of Engineering staff who have a few bullet points they'd like to share with you about our course, to hopefully give you the information you need to make an informed decision about the course:

• The MSc in Nanoscience to Nanotechnology course enables you to understand the fundamental principles of physics and engineering with major consequences for nanotechnology.
  • You will develop knowledge around how general concepts of nanoscience research are transferred into engineering applications and products.
  • Accredited by the Institution of Engineering and Technology (IET), this course covers the techniques necessary for scientific investigation at extremely small dimensions, and the latest research developments in this rapidly evolving area.
  • Our Centre for Nanohealth is one of the UK’s pioneering centres for nanoscience teaching and research.
  • Our world-class Systems and Process Engineering Centre brings together academic expertise from across the University, incorporating state-of-the-art facilities.
  • MSc Nanoscience to Nanotechnology at Swansea University is accredited by The Institution of Engineering and Technology (IET), for the purposes of partially meeting the educational requirement for Engineering Council registration as a Chartered Engineer.

I've also got some points about the wider department for you to help with your choice:

• £120 million in research funding received since 2008
  • Outstanding teaching rated 5 star
  • All of our Engineering subjects have been ranked in the UK's Top 15 by The Times and Sunday Times Good University Guide 2019
  • The Research Excellence Framework (REF) 2014 ranks Engineering at Swansea as 10th in the UK for the combined score in research quality across the Engineering disciplines

I hope that helps! Let me know if you need more information and I'll be happy to see what I can find out for you.

Jamie
Anonymous #1
Report 1 month ago
Can I apply for english literature with CCC
Rep:
?
(Original post by Anonymous)
Can I apply for english literature with CCC
Hi there,

As applications are considered based on all information provided, we would recommend making an application to establish if you receive an offer – there is no application fee, and doing so does not obligate you to study with us. I wouldn't rule out the possibility of a successful application with the grades so it's worth putting in the application, definitely!

You can use this link to make that application. Best of luck!

Jamie
Prashanthsambath
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Swansea University Enquiries)
Hi Prashanthsambath,

I've just got in touch with our College of Engineering staff who have a few bullet points they'd like to share with you about our course, to hopefully give you the information you need to make an informed decision about the course:

• The MSc in Nanoscience to Nanotechnology course enables you to understand the fundamental principles of physics and engineering with major consequences for nanotechnology.
  • You will develop knowledge around how general concepts of nanoscience research are transferred into engineering applications and products.
  • Accredited by the Institution of Engineering and Technology (IET), this course covers the techniques necessary for scientific investigation at extremely small dimensions, and the latest research developments in this rapidly evolving area.
  • Our Centre for Nanohealth is one of the UK’s pioneering centres for nanoscience teaching and research.
  • Our world-class Systems and Process Engineering Centre brings together academic expertise from across the University, incorporating state-of-the-art facilities.
  • MSc Nanoscience to Nanotechnology at Swansea University is accredited by The Institution of Engineering and Technology (IET), for the purposes of partially meeting the educational requirement for Engineering Council registration as a Chartered Engineer.

I've also got some points about the wider department for you to help with your choice:

• £120 million in research funding received since 2008
  • Outstanding teaching rated 5 star
  • All of our Engineering subjects have been ranked in the UK's Top 15 by The Times and Sunday Times Good University Guide 2019
  • The Research Excellence Framework (REF) 2014 ranks Engineering at Swansea as 10th in the UK for the combined score in research quality across the Engineering disciplines

I hope that helps! Let me know if you need more information and I'll be happy to see what I can find out for you.

Jamie
how many indian students enroll at Swansea university?
Rep:
?
I wouldn't be able to give specific information on numbers, but what I can say is that we do have a good number of Indian students with us, and there is even an Indian Society within the Students' Union. If you have any specific questions related to you coming from India, you can either let me know them, contact the society or alternatively get in touch with our International Office at [email protected], and we can get you the answers you need.

Jamie
Student Roost - Swansea
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
A good proportion of our international residents are Indian students, in fact its the 2nd most popular region in the world that our lovely students come from to study in the UK
Hus3110
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hi Jamie how long does it take for the Swansea uni to reply to my email thanks
(Original post by Student Roost - Swansea)
A good proportion of our international residents are Indian students, in fact its the 2nd most popular region in the world that our lovely students come from to study in the UK
Rep:
?
(Original post by Hus3110)
Hi Jamie how long does it take for the Swansea uni to reply to my email thanks
Hi Hus3110,

You were asking about changing the course you have applied for in another thread, is that right?

If so, it would typically take 2-3 working days for the team to process that and get back to you, so you shouldn't be waiting too long!

Jamie
Hus3110
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Thanks again jamie another question I want to take a history degree however what’s the deiffernce with a American studies and history or just history what’s more benificial or regarded a higher degree
(Original post by Swansea University Enquiries)
Hi Hus3110,

You were asking about changing the course you have applied for in another thread, is that right?

If so, it would typically take 2-3 working days for the team to process that and get back to you, so you shouldn't be waiting too long!

Jamie
Rep:
?
Thanks again jamie another question I want to take a history degree however what’s the deiffernce with a American studies and history or just history what’s more benificial or regarded a higher degree
Hi Hus3110,

I've shown your post to a member of the team within the academic department so that they can get back to you as soon as possible

Jamie
Swansea University Arts and Humanities
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hi Hus3110,

Our courses are comprised of compulsory and optional modules.
Compulsory modules must be taken by all students, whereas for optional modules you get to choose what you study.
Our module selection can be seen on the course pages on our website.

BA American Studies and History splits your compulsory modules between the two subjects and allows you to choose between all History modules and all American Studies modules when choosing your optional modules.

On our BA History course you would just do the compulsory history modules and then choose between the optional history modules and a section of interdisciplinary modules, some of which are from the American Studies programme.

Employers do not really consider specific degrees better or worse than other degrees. This is a misconception with many humanities degrees. Employers tend to look more for applicants who utilise the skills developed from their degree and how they plan on using those skills to benefit their working life.
The deciding factor on success in future job application will not be whether you did a joint-honors with American Studies but rather what work experience and extra-circular activities you did alongside your degree. Our employability department is here to help students secure work experience and help them put together strong applications for this reason.

With that said I would advise that you choose the course you would enjoy the most!
The more you enjoy the course, the better you will do in the long run

I hope this has answered your question.

- Josh
Hus3110
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Yes it did i always wanted to do history but my teacher advised me to do American studies and politics but I’ve changed my course now to just history as I enjoy it the most

Second question if I do not get the grades needed to get into year 1 and I get into a foundation year does my student finance cover that foundation year or not ?
(Original post by Swansea University Arts and Humanities)
Hi Hus3110,

Our courses are comprised of compulsory and optional modules.
Compulsory modules must be taken by all students, whereas for optional modules you get to choose what you study.
Our module selection can be seen on the course pages on our website.

BA American Studies and History splits your compulsory modules between the two subjects and allows you to choose between all History modules and all American Studies modules when choosing your optional modules.

On our BA History course you would just do the compulsory history modules and then choose between the optional history modules and a section of interdisciplinary modules, some of which are from the American Studies programme.

Employers do not really consider specific degrees better or worse than other degrees. This is a misconception with many humanities degrees. Employers tend to look more for applicants who utilise the skills developed from their degree and how they plan on using those skills to benefit their working life.
The deciding factor on success in future job application will not be whether you did a joint-honors with American Studies but rather what work experience and extra-circular activities you did alongside your degree. Our employability department is here to help students secure work experience and help them put together strong applications for this reason.

With that said I would advise that you choose the course you would enjoy the most!
The more you enjoy the course, the better you will do in the long run

I hope this has answered your question.

- Josh
Rep:
?
Yes it did i always wanted to do history but my teacher advised me to do American studies and politics but I’ve changed my course now to just history as I enjoy it the most

Second question if I do not get the grades needed to get into year 1 and I get into a foundation year does my student finance cover that foundation year or not ?
Hi Hus3110,

With regards to student loans, that's something best asked directly to your provider. Many aspects relate to personal circumstances, and we would not wish to provide you with incorrect advise on such an important issue. If you contact them directly I am sure they would be able to give you an answer specifically correct for you.

Jamie
She-Ra
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hiya!

If you are applying through SFE we have Student Finance England here on TSR. You can ask them your question here and a adviser will help you

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=910

Last edited by She-Ra; 1 month ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year

How are you feeling about GCSE Results Day?

Hopeful (214)
12.52%
Excited (156)
9.13%
Worried (306)
17.91%
Terrified (380)
22.24%
Meh (168)
9.83%
Confused (37)
2.17%