The Student Room Group

Pride Month: Ask MindOut Anything!

Mental health is a big concern for all of us, but is also a major concern for the LGBTQ+ community in particular. With stats showing that LGBTQ+ people are at a higher risk of experiencing mental health concerns, they also score themselves lower on quality of life metrics. The LGBTQ+ community are at higher risk of experiencing hate crime than the heterosexual community, and people feeling isolated or depressed due to homophobia.

it's an important issue to talk about and get more awareness out there.

MindOut, a charity that focuses on improving the mental health and well-being of members of the LGBTQ+ community, will be answering all your questions surrounding LGBTQ+ and mental heatlh - so get yours over now!

All questions must be asked by Sunday 23rd June, and will be answered early next week.

(edited 4 years ago)
What kind of services and support do you offer?

Is it possible to get involved with volunteering with you?
:wavey:
What would be your advice you somebody struggling with their gender identity or sexuality?

Do you feel people on the ace umbrella experience different problems?
Yay! :biggrin:

How can people be a good ally and friend of people who are LGBTQ+ and/or are struggling with their mental health?

Should politicians be more aware of LGBTQ+ and mental health issues? How can be encourage this awareness?
How can services better support intersectionality, where a person may be LGBTQ+ but also part of disabled or BAME communities?
Context: I am a bisexual male - 90% attraction to men 10% attraction to women approx

Is it normal for me to hate the aspect of being with a guy? My mind tells me that I only want to marry and have a life with a girl.
Original post by Anonymous
Context: I am a bisexual male - 90% attraction to men 10% attraction to women approx

Is it normal for me to hate the aspect of being with a guy? My mind tells me that I only want to marry and have a life with a girl.

Whilst this is addressed to MindOut, from reading it is it possible you are heteroromantic? It sounds like you have a sexual attraction to men, but don't want to be in a relationship with one, which might fall under the heteroromantic bisexual definition?
I think that is the case because when I have been in a relationship with a girl it has been genuine but it is rare that I get hard or turned on by one, usually just when im in love with them.
Original post by shadowdweller
Whilst this is addressed to MindOut, from reading it is it possible you are heteroromantic? It sounds like you have a sexual attraction to men, but don't want to be in a relationship with one, which might fall under the heteroromantic bisexual definition?
I think that is the case because when I have been in a relationship with a girl it has been genuine but it is rare that I get hard or turned on by one, usually just when im in love with them.

Possibly an element of demisexuality to it? Demisexual is when you only experience sexual attraction to someone when you have a deep emotional connection with them, just for clarity here! :smile:

I'll let MindOut answer further, apologies to step in - do feel free to PM me if you have any further questions though!
How do I cope with being bi since my interest in both men and women fluctuate almost everyday, even though I want to be exclusively straight and not feel attracted to women nearly all the time? It stresses me out because when my interest/attraction to women are high, I think I'm gay (which I kind of don't want to be), but when it's the other way around, I think I'm straight, but I know that I can't be straight because I find women objectively more attractive.

(for context, I'm an 18 year old woman who realised she was bi 3 years ago and only came out to a few of her friends as well as on a private and personal instagram account)
Thanks so much everyone for your questions! They have now been sent over to MindOut, and I'll link to our article answering these questions when it's done.

Thanks again! :heart:
Hey everyone,

MindOut have answered all your questions, so do have a read of the article and let us know if you have any other questions!

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/life/pride-month-mindout-answers-your-questions

Thanks,
Strawberry :smile:

@BurstingBubbles @shadowdweller @chelseadagg3r @Obolinda @rozinaaa
X
Original post by StrawberryDreams
Hey everyone,

MindOut have answered all your questions, so do have a read of the article and let us know if you have any other questions!

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/life/pride-month-mindout-answers-your-questions

Thanks,

That's fantastic! Thank you for organising this, and to MindOut for taking the time to answer all our questions :love:
Hey everyone,

Thanks,

PRSOM! :biggrin:

Although apparently I'm busting bubbles and not bursting them :tongue:
Original post by BurstingBubbles
PRSOM! :biggrin:

Although apparently I'm busting bubbles and not bursting them :tongue:

:colondollar: all changed!

Busting bubbles makes you sound like a bubble ninja :ninja:
:colondollar: all changed!