Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    bit of background info:
    My PC is currently running on athlon 64 3000+ with geforce 6600gt and 1 gig of ram. I've decided after my exams to do a little upgrade so it can play all the latest games (not nesscarily on top detail but enough so i can play them with no notable slow down)

I'm not going to spend much as I'll also be buying a laptop for uni soon (thinking of an asus eee or msi wind but anyhoo) So this is not a mega upgrade but I just saw the price of components now and they are cheap!!!!

Graphics card upgrade is easy enough (thinking of some kinda 8600GT with 256 memory). I'm wondering if this
    MSI 8600GT 256MB OverClocked Edition Dual DVI HDTV PCI-E Graphics Card

is any good? I've heard good things about 8600 GTs, and MSI are suppose to be good. Will it run crysis/bioshock/ut3 , can anyone from the future be able to tell if it'll run far cry 2, mafia 2, gta4, empire total war,

Its the processor where I've come stuck. My motherboard has socket 939 which limits me greatly and it looks like the best i can do it an athlon 64 4000+ will this hold it owns for a year or two?? I'll like to play all the new games with out massive slowdown.

I'll be uping the memory to 2 gig from 1. bit of a no brainer seeing as thats the max my mobo will support.

Will this upgrade last me ???

Comes to £112.66 include shipping, so it is cost effective??? or will i be shooting myself in the foot and should just buy new mobo and better proccesser more ram??

edit:forgot to add running on win xp, not thinking about upgrading to vista anytime soon.

ReputationRep:
    Sounds like me; I was planning on just upgrading after exams but i've since decided to just get a whole new PC.

Many games are very demanding now both on processing and graphics. I've seen new games with minimum specs stating 2ghz dual core and 7800s. The 8600 would probably hold its own on those games, but your processor might not. A good friend of mine bought recently a 8800gtx but didn't upgrade his CPU (3ghz like yours) and he is finding that its not good enough by itself.

What you could do, assuming your mobo has a PCI-E slot, is just buy the 8600 which i am sure that would cope with those new games as long as your not planning on running high graphics, fit it and see if you think the benefits are enough. If not you can always buy a new mobo/CPU and fit it in there.

ReputationRep:
    If you are on XP not vista and therefore not gonna be playing games with DX10, you might be better off with the top end of the DX9 generation cards than the lower-middle of the DX10 ones.

I.e. an ATI 1900 series or nvidia 7900 series.

Taking a look at the chart here http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/charts...score,538.html, for instance, would suggest they perform quite a bit better than an 8600 (beware on that chart a lot of the top results are for SLI/Crossfire (two cards running at once) and you're looking only for the single ones).

Just a thought.

edit: I put an 8600 in a PC I built a while ago and wasn't too impressed with it, bang-for-my-buck-wise. Dunno how much cheaper they are now, though...situation might have improved. Also that particular design had a horrible whiny fan, something to watch out for also when you choose the brand!

ReputationRep:
    If its a 939 board, then I reckon its probably only got a AGP slot. In which case, I would personally just scrap the mobo and start near enough from scratch.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WelshBluebird)
    If its a 939 board, then I reckon its probably only got a AGP slot. In which case, I would personally just scrap the mobo and start near enough from scratch.
    What? Not at all. Plenty of 939 boards have PCI-E slots; the I built my previous PC with did, for instance, and I don't remember being very limited in my choice when it came to picking mobos.

edit: but do check, OP. The point that you'd be very limited if you do only have an AGP slot stands.

ReputationRep:
    the 8600GT is very poor for games, they've come down in price lately though, so aren't bad value, but wont be able to cope with the games you listed apart from on min settings.

if its a AGP motherboard, it may just be worthwhile to build you own from scratch

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/graphi...iew-30909.html
    that link gives the best value cards at your different price points, for both PCI-E and AGP slots.

ReputationRep:
    Another thought: did you mean a single-core 4000+ or an X2 dual-core one?

Seriously, get a dual-core if you possibly possibly can. In terms of how fast the PC feels to use, going from a single-core to a dual-core makes a HUGE amount more difference than going to a single-core with a slightly higher clockspeed. Plus, if that's all you need, just overclock your 3000+. I remember getting mine from 1.8 to 2.4 on air with no trouble at all.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WelshBluebird)
    No it is PCI-E . I had a quick look in the manual.

(Original post by Tom)
    If you are on XP not vista and therefore not gonna be playing games with DX10, you might be better off with the top end of the DX9 generation cards than the lower-middle of the DX10 ones.

I.e. an ATI 1900 series or nvidia 7900 series.

Taking a look at the chart here http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/charts...score,538.html, for instance, would suggest they perform quite a bit better than an 8600 (beware on that chart a lot of the top results are for SLI/Crossfire (two cards running at once) and you're looking only for the single ones).

Just a thought.

edit: I put an 8600 in a PC I built a while ago and wasn't too impressed with it, bang-for-my-buck-wise. Dunno how much cheaper they are now, though...situation might have improved. Also that particular design had a horrible whiny fan, something to watch out for also when you choose the brand!
    um not sure which gfx card now... The 8600 I've chosen is 50 pounds so its not a massive expense but I'd hope it'd last til two years later. Bout two years ago I got the 6600 i've got now. I did just read about the fan issue, on the card i've chosen, turn out you can lower the voltage of the fan and it still runs ok, but still something to consider.

Just looking at the proccessor price now its only 26 pounds so I might as well get it. even if it only lasts me 6 months.

part of me is wishing I could just go to alienware.com and spend 3 grand on something all nice and ready haha.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pheonixx)
    the 8600GT is very poor for games, they've come down in price lately though, so aren't bad value, but wont be able to cope with the games you listed apart from on min settings.
    While the 8600GT is poor for games, it isn't as bad as you make it out to be. My laptop has an 8600M GT, and I can play (at 1280x720) bioshock on nearly max, CoD4 on nearly max, crysis on medium etc. Yes you can get better for the same price (or a small amount more), but the 8600 isn't that bad. Not that I'd recommend it to anyone now, because of newer cards. The 9600GT I believe can be had for around £90, and from a quick google, seems to be only a little slower than the 8800GT.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tom)
    Another thought: did you mean a single-core 4000+ or an X2 dual-core one?

Seriously, get a dual-core if you possibly possibly can. In terms of how fast the PC feels to use, going from a single-core to a dual-core makes a HUGE amount more difference than going to a single-core with a slightly higher clockspeed. Plus, if that's all you need, just overclock your 3000+. I remember getting mine from 1.8 to 2.4 on air with no trouble at all.

Its single core unfortunately. It doesn't seem if you can get 939 x2 processors easily unless you trawl ebay. Is over clocking easy then? Its not something i've considered as I'd assumed you'd need mega cooling but if its feasible I may give it a go.

I'm thinking about a differents gfx card now , not sure which though.

ReputationRep:
    I've changed the gfx card (still a 8600gt now its this http://www.ebuyer.com/product/126974)

which with the proccessor (athlon 64 4000 in the end) and ram stick comes to 98 pounds overall with free delivery.now just gotta wait for pay day.

ReputationRep:
    If you are still using a 939 socket try and get an Opteron 180 which runs at 2.8GHZ dual core, and it's the best you can buy.

If you don't need DX10, go with the DX9 X1950 as it's the best you can get (im running the AGP verison in my Socket A based computer), But if you want DX10, wait until Mid june when ATI release the HD4850 which looks like it's going to Murder Nvidia, due to it's ram and the fact it has 800stremprocessors (compared to Nvidias <300)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chris89-2)
    If you are still using a 939 socket try and get an Opteron 180 which runs at 2.8GHZ dual core, and it's the best you can buy.

If you don't need DX10, go with the DX9 X1950 as it's the best you can get (im running the AGP verison in my Socket A based computer), But if you want DX10, wait until Mid june when ATI release the HD4850 which looks like it's going to Murder Nvidia, due to it's ram and the fact it has 800stremprocessors (compared to Nvidias <300)

I've had a look on ebay and those proccessors seems like just the thing i need. I will probabley get one of those now.

ReputationRep:
    Get one as my dad is running one in his system that is an 939 socket, and i will get one so i can go for an intermodual upgrade, before full next year.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chris89-2)
    Get one as my dad is running one in his system that is an 939 socket, and i will get one so i can go for an intermodual upgrade, before full next year.

They seem quite rare. I found some on ebay but there was only 3 of them. I'm thinking now of just upgrading the ram and the gfx card til i decide what to do with proccessor.

Other socket 939 x2 proccessor are going for about 150 pound!

ReputationRep:
    ouch that's quite expenisve, but the problem with DDR-400 ram it is very expenisve still which is stupid, but for that look on ebay, and the Graphics card do the same thing, or get the HD3850 which is about £80 new and you get the Black box for free

ReputationRep:
    You're best off starting from scratch. Although depends on how well you want to play your games.

Go for a moderate Intel chip, and plump for at least an 8800 and build it up around that.

(Original post by Martyn1989)
    You're best off starting from scratch. Although depends on how well you want to play your games.

Go for a moderate Intel chip, and plump for at least an 8800 and build it up around that.
    I thought you were being funny then - build an Altair from scratch!

I can recommend keeping spec. the same, and migrating to Debian.

One day, I'll actually manage to convert someone to Linux:mad:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tootles)

Thats not gonna help me run games. I'll have my laptop on linux so that should appease you. But really whats the point in using linux when windows is so much better.

i've decided to go with my original upgrade and then not do anything else did i buy a new pc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tootles)
    I thought you were being funny then - build an Altair from scratch!

You're pro-Debian and you're backing Firefox instead of Iceweasel? Or is the Firefox banner just there for the benefit of Windows-users?

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.