Have your say: Cambridge falls to lowest ever place in world university league table Watch

candokoala
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
Here's where you can post a comment about our Cambridge falls to lowest ever place in world university league table article.

Read the full Cambridge falls to lowest ever place in world university league table article and join in the discussion by posting a message below.
mpaprika
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Ibz Mo must be having a heart attack
Obolinda
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
:rofl:
(Original post by mpaprika)
Ibz Mo must be having a heart attack
Notoriety
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Was 6th, now 7th.

Hope that helps.
JohanGRK
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Ugh, summer, the dreaded league table announcement season
BlueIndigoViolet
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
thought it was some next level Guardian nonsense, but QS is generally a good measure, still world class, but a lot of amazing universities out there...ETH Zurich is really good and has just overtaken Cambridge - tbh those in the top 10 are all absolutely amazing to get the chance to study in..
Last edited by BlueIndigoViolet; 4 weeks ago
NotNotBatman
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
How terrible, they've moved down 1 place in a biased ranking system that is of little to no value.
batter mix
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
What ******** :rofl:

The entire table is ****ed.
Oxford Mum
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Don’t take any notice of these rankings. I just use them as loo paper. Cambridge is a great uni with hard working students, for whom I have the greatest respect.
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
Tolgarda
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by NotNotBatman)
How terrible, they've moved down 1 place in a biased ranking system that is of little to no value.
I couldn't have said it better myself. I think that taking these too seriously would constitute a lapse in judgement.
mnot
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by candokoala)
Here's where you can post a comment about our Cambridge falls to lowest ever place in world university league table article.

Read the full Cambridge falls to lowest ever place in world university league table article and join in the discussion by posting a message below.
Its dumb to take any notice of exact position of a Uni, there are really 10-15 Unis that are all effectively equal best as top research and academic institutes and get equal credibility from employers;

OxBridge, Harvard, Yale, MIT, Caltech, Stanford, Bologna, UPenn etc... It will never matter where these Unis rank, employers and researchers value them as the best.
Similarly: UCL, Imperial, Berkeley, Chicago, Columbia will also always be regarded as among the worlds most elite schools no matter where they rank.

It doesn't matter, just a methodology based on fairly weak data designed to gain ad revenue. I do think the QS rankings generally are more representative of Universities but everything needs to be taken with an understanding of what it is, for example according to these rankings Dartmouth college is much worse then Cardiff Uni. Dartmouth is one of the worlds best undergraduate institutes, Cardiff is a very average UK uni, it's just Dartmouth focuses on teaching and has minimal research, therefore the methodology relegates it...
Palmyra
Report 4 weeks ago
They haven't been the same since I graduated.
Themysticalegg
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
7th in the world is still rather impressive.
TheTroll73
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
oh no cambridge "sucks" now

what shall we do
Oxford Mum
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
That's right, mnot, tell it like it is. The real question is, which unis offer the course that will make your heart sing.
(Original post by mnot)
Its dumb to take any notice of exact position of a Uni, there are really 10-15 Unis that are all effectively equal best as top research and academic institutes and get equal credibility from employers;

OxBridge, Harvard, Yale, MIT, Caltech, Stanford, Bologna, UPenn etc... It will never matter where these Unis rank, employers and researchers value them as the best.
Similarly: UCL, Imperial, Berkeley, Chicago, Columbia will also always be regarded as among the worlds most elite schools no matter where they rank.

It doesn't matter, just a methodology based on fairly weak data designed to gain ad revenue. I do think the QS rankings generally are more representative of Universities but everything needs to be taken with an understanding of what it is, for example according to these rankings Dartmouth college is much worse then Cardiff Uni. Dartmouth is one of the worlds best undergraduate institutes, Cardiff is a very average UK uni, it's just Dartmouth focuses on teaching and has minimal research, therefore the methodology relegates it...
TS33
Badges: 19
Report 4 weeks ago
Good riddance to bad rubbish
ltsmith
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
7th in the world is hardly bad now is it?
Oxford Mum
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
I will always have the greatest respect for Cambridge. Frankly I don’t care where it comes in the league tables
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
Picnic1
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Cambridge still ranks higher in the WORLD than ONE country, the USA, has universities in its 'Ivy League' (8 universities). It'd be really silly to regard it as worrying news, although Oxford, which was for a long time regarded as a bit softer than Cambridge, has made up ground over the last 20 years or so.

The cliche containing some truth: Oxford's where politicians and authors dealing in OPINION go, Cambridge is where philosophers and mathematicians and poets dealing in attempts at TRUTHS go might be broadly the historical pattern. Yes, Oxford has its philosophers but they weren't as mind boggling in their complexity as Cambridge's Wittgenstein. It is a cliche, yes, Oxford has had some very notable scientists, a few poets, and Rachel Riley studied Maths there (getting a first compared to Carol Vorderman's third- which was in engineering actually). And Cambridge has had some notable politicians (if rarely prime minister in modern times) and authors.

Truth, surely, is more important than opinion in the grand scheme of things. However, Oxford makes up for it for publishing far more academic works than Cambridge. However the academic works are just as, if not, more likely to be by Cambridge graduates as Oxford ones.
Last edited by Picnic1; 2 weeks ago
gr8wizard10
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
hmm.. my sister wanted to apply their but after this i think its advisable to try her hand elsewhere
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (160)
17.66%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (78)
8.61%
No I am happy with my course choice (540)
59.6%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (128)
14.13%

Watched Threads