Have your say: Cambridge falls to lowest ever place in world university league table Watch

Oxford Mum
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
This is what I have secretly thought for years, however it is a cliche.

It doesn't matter as both Oxford and Cambridge are equally amazing.

If I had to rank them both against each other, my heart wouldn't allow me to do it.
(Original post by Picnic1)
Cambridge still ranks higher in the WORLD than ONE country, the USA, has universities in its 'Ivy League' (8 universities). It'd be really silly to regard it as worrying news, although Oxford, which was for a long time regarded as a bit softer than Cambridge, has made up ground over the last 20 years or so.

The cliche containing some truth: Oxford's where politicians and authors dealing in OPINION go, Cambridge is where philosophers and mathematicians and poets dealing in attempts at TRUTHS go might be broadly the historical pattern. Yes, Oxford has its philosophers but they weren't as mind boggling in their complexity as Cambridge's Wittgenstein. It is a cliche, yes, Oxford has had some very notable scientists, a few poets, and Rachel Riley studied Maths there (getting a first compared to Carol Vorderman's third- which was in engineering actually). And Cambridge has had some notable politicians (if rarely prime minister in modern times) and authors.

Truth, surely, is more important than opinion in the grand scheme of things. However, Oxford makes up for it for publishing far more academic works than Cambridge. However the academic works are just as, if not, more likely to be by Cambridge graduates as Oxford ones.
mnot
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Picnic1)
Cambridge still ranks higher in the WORLD than ONE country, the USA, has universities in its 'Ivy League' (8 universities). It'd be really silly to regard it as worrying news, although Oxford, which was for a long time regarded as a bit softer than Cambridge, has made up ground over the last 20 years or so.

The cliche containing some truth: Oxford's where politicians and authors dealing in OPINION go, Cambridge is where philosophers and mathematicians and poets dealing in attempts at TRUTHS go might be broadly the historical pattern. Yes, Oxford has its philosophers but they weren't as mind boggling in their complexity as Cambridge's Wittgenstein. It is a cliche, yes, Oxford has had some very notable scientists, a few poets, and Rachel Riley studied Maths there (getting a first compared to Carol Vorderman's third- which was in engineering actually). And Cambridge has had some notable politicians (if rarely prime minister in modern times) and authors.

Truth, surely, is more important than opinion in the grand scheme of things. However, Oxford makes up for it for publishing far more academic works than Cambridge. However the academic works are just as, if not, more likely to be by Cambridge graduates as Oxford ones.
This post doesn't make a whole lot of sense in the context of this thread.

Not sure what the Ivy league has to do with anything, other than they are just a group of academically renowned universities, but the Ivy league is a sports league not an academic or ranking one, many of the USA's top Unis are not even in it (Stanford, Berkeley, MIT, CalTech, UCLA, NYU, Michigan....)

Also im not sure anyone of any relevance who knows academia seriously considers Oxford 'soft' compared to Cambridge. In the more general sense those outside Europe often consider Oxford the more elite as it is the original and more famous, but again it would be stupid to take any notice of this. Also Oxford is not making it up with publishing more academic work, it always has published more work as the research departments are slightly larger at Oxford. But UCL over the last few years has produced more work than either of them yet no one refers them as making the difference up with more publications. There both equally regarded amongst academic piers, in certain subject areas one might be slightly more regarded but in the global context they are equals. Yes a lot of Cambridge grads go do research at Oxford, as do many Oxford grads go do research at Cambridge.

Im not really sure what the point of your post is about from a load of random words with Ivy league, Oxford & Cambridge written in there somewhere
Picnic1
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
You make good points, mnot. I understand your disappointment in parts of my post. My overall intention was to make a general point that 7th in the world is very good - and I'm aware of how the Ivy league works but if anyone told me that they were studying at any Ivy league, I'd still find it impressive, particularly if they're moved from the UK to there.

Also, I wanted to show how Cambridge could still be better than Oxford in academics.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (137)
17.75%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (73)
9.46%
No I am happy with my course choice (455)
58.94%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (107)
13.86%

Watched Threads