Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Okay, my offer for Northumbria is 240 points, so I'm aiming for 3 C's...

However, after the past few exams I highly doubt I'll get that. More like CDD, or DDD.

I know it's a bit pessimistic, but I was wondering if anyone can tell me whether Northumbria are lenient when it comes to lowering the offer and accepting you anyway on results day. Either from personal experience, or friends not quite getting the grades.

I guess I've got clearing to fall back on, but I really wanted this specific computing course. My fault for doing crap in every exam I guess!

ReputationRep:
    No one can tell you that. No university will be "lenient" especially in cases where there are no mitigating circumstnaces (are there any?)

Just because a few people may still have managed to get into Northumbria by missing their grades it makes no more (or less) likely that they will allow you in. Individual circumstances are taken into account (mitigating circumstances, how many grades you've missed the offer by and, most importantly, how competitive the course is).

I got into Durham after missing my offer (but only just and with serious mitigating circumstances). It doesn't follow that they will be as lenient to any other student.

Sorry if that's not what you want to hear but it's the truth. No one can tell you. All you can is wait and see. Try pleading with them and, if that fails, resit or go to insurance.

I hope you do get in though

ReputationRep:
    I had a friend with a CCC offer from Northumbria, who got in with CDD. However there was another on a different course with the same offer and the same grades who was rejected. I think it depends on how popular your course is and mitigating circumstances.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by River85)
    No one can tell you that. No university will be "lenient" especially in cases where there are no mitigating circumstnaces (are there any?)

Just because a few people may still have managed to get into Northumbria by missing their grades it makes no more (or less) likely that they will allow you in. Individual circumstances are taken into account (mitigating circumstances, how many grades you've missed the offer by and, most importantly, how competitive the course is).

I got into Durham after missing my offer (but only just and with serious mitigating circumstances). It doesn't follow that they will be as lenient to any other student.

Sorry if that's not what you want to hear but it's the truth. No one can tell you. All you can is wait and see. Try pleading with them and, if that fails, resit or go to insurance.

I hope you do get in though
    I guess that's what I was expecting to hear. Roll on August I guess

Thanks for the response though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hedgeman49)
    I had a friend with a CCC offer from Northumbria, who got in with CDD. However there was another on a different course with the same offer and the same grades who was rejected. I think it depends on how popular your course is and mitigating circumstances.
    Sounds a bit more hopeful. Hopefully given that it's a pretty unpopular course (at least the fact it was in clearing last year, and it's still in Extra this year suggests it is) I might have a chance.

ReputationRep:
    No worries Just remember that it's not unknown for a university to let a student in who misses their offer. I would imagine it happens every year. Just also remember that it's not common and for the vast majority of those who miss their offers they will find their offers withdrawn.

Take heart that there are exceptions, just don't get your hopes up.

Would taking a year out and resitting be a realistic option? Do you feel as if you have underperformed in these exams and that you could do better?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kerry350)
    Sounds a bit more hopeful. Hopefully given that it's a pretty unpopular course (at least the fact it was in clearing last year, and it's still in Extra this year suggests it is) I might have a chance.
    Well, that may work in your favour. Especially if you only miss by one grade.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by River85)
    No worries Just remember that it's not unknown for a university to let a student in who misses their offer. I would imagine it happens every year. Just also remember that it's not common and for the vast majority of those who miss their offers they will find their offers withdrawn.

Take heart that there are exceptions, just don't get your hopes up.

Would taking a year out and resitting be a realistic option? Do you feel as if you have underperformed in these exams and that you could do better?
    I might take a year out, earn some money, and re-apply next year to a course with slightly lower grades. I wouldn't say I've underperformed, but everything just seems to have gone wrong with English Literature...

ReputationRep:
    What course is it?

I got into the university on a chemistry course with slightly lower grades than i needed, decided it wasnt for me and transfered onto the computer course i liked with no real questions about my grades

I wouldnt worry about it, and if you gave the university or ucas your mobile number you should recieve a text message saying you in on results day morning (me and alot of my friends did but this was 2 years ago)

ReputationRep:
    It's for Multimedia and Digital Entertainment Computing...

Such a mouthful

No real questions, god I hope that's the case! Heh.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: June 14, 2008

University open days

• Northumbria University
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Sat, 24 Nov '18
  • Northumbria University
    All Faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 5 Dec '18
Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.