The Student Room Group

Does it matter where I do my Masters?

Just wondering I have decided to take a year out after my graduate degree to save some money for my masters. I am looking at a lot of courses that interest me, and I am either going to stay at home or commute to London (only an hour away) however, does it matter the institution where I do my masters, in terms of university ranking? Will, it still be respected if I choose to go to a university that has a lower ranking, but I can live at home?
Original post by user021
Just wondering I have decided to take a year out after my graduate degree to save some money for my masters. I am looking at a lot of courses that interest me, and I am either going to stay at home or commute to London (only an hour away) however, does it matter the institution where I do my masters, in terms of university ranking? Will, it still be respected if I choose to go to a university that has a lower ranking, but I can live at home?

Respect - how is it gained?
Low ranking - how is it gained?
What are you measuring that 'matters' to you?
What are you measuring that 'matters' to other people?

There are endless questions like this on TSR. Either you believe (in the face of all evidence, logic and language to the contrary) that all degrees are equal, or you believe that some degrees are better than others.

It's up to the individual to decide, when all degrees of similar types cost approximately the same amount, whether the choose a 'better' or 'worse' degree. If you've got personal reasons why one choice is better for you, that's great, it doesn't alter the averages though.
Depends on what you want to do next.

If you're applying for a PhD then a masters from a more respectable university will benefit you.
If you're applying for a job then the university is not so important.

If you have to choose between a 1hr commute to a "good" university, or stay at home and go to a "less good" university, then definitely do the commute for a year, it'll be worth it in the long run.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending