The Student Room Group

Rowing and part-time working while studying an undergraduate degree

Hi! I am a polish rower and I'm looking to apply for King's and UCL 2020 entry.
I was wondering about the Uni of London Boat Club (ULBC) since I have some years of experience and very good achievements. As mosts of high level rowers, I'm not ready to sacrifice this part of my life, but my family can't totally afford my degree in London so I should need to work 20-25 hours every week. I was wondering if there are any students/part time workers and also rowers in this forum and if they could give me some advices. I was also interested in knowing if in UK universities clubs pay you at least the transports since I suppose you have to use them very often to train with them. The uni in Switzerland of My older brother used to pay them because it was an hour journey just one side, and they had at least 2 trainings every day. I'll be so grateful if you could share your experience or just your thoughts about it.
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by Hugo Frantz
Hi! I am a polish rower and I'm looking to apply for King's and UCL 2020 entry.
I was wondering about the Uni of London Boat Club (ULBC) since I have some years of experience and very good achievements. As mosts of high level rowers, I'm not ready to sacrifice this part of my life, but my family can't totally afford my degree in London so I should need to work 20-25 hours every week. I was wondering if there are any students/part time workers and also rowers in this forum and if they could give me some advices. I was also interested in knowing if in UK universities clubs pay you at least the transports since I suppose you have to use them very often to train with them. The uni in Switzerland of My older brother used to pay them because it was an hour journey just one side, and they had at least 2 trainings every day. I'll be so grateful if you could share your experience or just your thoughts about it.

Hey there Hugo,

This a great question! :smile:

First of all getting a part time job in London alongside your studies and extra-curricular activities is do-able, but working so often can be quite a lot to manage, and I imagine you'd be spending a lot of time rowing as well so try to be careful about time management, though this should be alright for your first year you may want to consider working a summer job afterwards to give you enough money to be able to work less hours in the second year of your degree, allowing more time for study.

Different clubs operate different rules when it comes to transport and payments, I know a lot of sports clubs at Keele university do cover transport costs with their membership fees and grants from the Athletic Union here - I'm not sure if our rowing club also does this. It may be that membership fees of the club would cover transport costs, but you may want to research this yourself or send the club a message on social media to ask. :smile:

I hope this helps you and best of luck with your application.

Mark
Second year at Keele University

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending