Dissappointed with final grade Watch

kairan89
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
Hello
I am a student at the USW, i studied International Wildlife Biology and i have just received my final grade. Unfortunately i only got a 2:2, but after checking, it appears i missed out on a 2:1 by just 0.3%, which i am quite gutted about.
I know most graduate schemes, and universities that offer a masters, only accept people with a 2:1. Although i ultimately only have myself to blame, i feel a little unlucky to miss out by just 0.3%. Is there anything i could possibly do? I have contacted my course leader but he is terribly at replying, someone said it might be possible that i someone could go over my work and possibly give me an extra mark or two if deemed reasonable, or is it too late considering my graduation ceremony is in about 20 days or so..

Alternatively, if i do apply for a post-grad scheme or a masters, would it do me any favours to include in a cover letter that i only missed out by less than 1%?

The field i want to work in relies quite heavily on experience as-well as a degree (i want to work in conservation) and i need to do some more volunteering/work experience, so i guess its not the end of the day if im stuck with a 2:1, but i hope you can see why im a bit frustrated and concerned!
Student21x
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
It sounds like you can appeal. Some universities allow students to appeal their final classification if it is borderline like yours is. Maybe you can put a case of extenuating circumstances of you have some kind of disability. Good luck.
ageshallnot
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by kairan89)
Hello
I am a student at the USW, i studied International Wildlife Biology and i have just received my final grade. Unfortunately i only got a 2:2, but after checking, it appears i missed out on a 2:1 by just 0.3%, which i am quite gutted about.
I know most graduate schemes, and universities that offer a masters, only accept people with a 2:1. Although i ultimately only have myself to blame, i feel a little unlucky to miss out by just 0.3%. Is there anything i could possibly do? I have contacted my course leader but he is terribly at replying, someone said it might be possible that i someone could go over my work and possibly give me an extra mark or two if deemed reasonable, or is it too late considering my graduation ceremony is in about 20 days or so..

Alternatively, if i do apply for a post-grad scheme or a masters, would it do me any favours to include in a cover letter that i only missed out by less than 1%?

The field i want to work in relies quite heavily on experience as-well as a degree (i want to work in conservation) and i need to do some more volunteering/work experience, so i guess its not the end of the day if im stuck with a 2:1, but i hope you can see why im a bit frustrated and concerned!
Have you checked the different ways that USW classifies degrees? What mark did you end up with?
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
threeportdrift
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by kairan89)
Crack on and get 2 sets of 2-3 years work experience under your belt and you will have no problem at all going back to do a Masters. In addition, you'll have strong professional experience to bring to the course and you'll do much better at it.
kairan89
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
thanks for the replies, i have asked to appeal but they said the grades are final, although im sure something can be done, for the sake of 0.3%!

and yeah i checked how they classify grades, i ended up with a lower second class honours, which sounds even worse than 2:2!

i definitely plan on making the best out of the situation, i think a few years work experience will definitely help. Plus, im a mature student, im 29 now and prior to university i worked in admin for the NHS for a number of years. Im hoping it all works out!

thank you
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 31 Jul '19
  • Staffordshire University
    Postgraduate open event - Stoke-on-Trent campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 7 Aug '19
  • University of Derby
    Foundation Open Event Further education
    Wed, 7 Aug '19

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (161)
17.5%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (81)
8.8%
No I am happy with my course choice (547)
59.46%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (131)
14.24%

Watched Threads