Appealing masters dissertation mark

Watch
runningcat11
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 months ago
Hi,

I would like some advice from anyone who has been through this experience (I have already contacted my student union).

Basically, I have received my dissertation mark and it is lower than I expected (66% - was hoping for 70%).

First things first, I have previously made an academic appeal on the course and won. I was given a really low exam mark last year and I challenged it based on my mental health and various things that were going on.

There are a number of reasons why I think my dissertation mark is unfair. Firstly, I received no help from my supervisor, which is linked to my second point. Secondly, I had to buy software to complete my dissertation. My supervisor had no idea I needed it so I had to order it from oak ridge in America, then self teach and do my dissertation in
Basically, I want my dissertation to be re-marked by someone with no influence with the university. I have very strong medical evidence, plus evidence of ordering the software and it's arrival date.

This whole course has been a nightmare and this has really cheesed me off. I know I am not "entitled" to receive a distinction but I did everything right, against all the odds, and they are going to cheat me out of it by 4/100 marks on the dissertation. I feel like I must challenge it.

Thanks in advance
BeetRoots
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
If you appeal the university they are going to look at their handling of your dissertation but also whether or not you followed advice/protocols too. If, for example, you argue that you had mental health issues affecting you then you would have been expected to make that known at the time through the correct channels. You're not likely to get your work marked externally as this more or less amounts to a. institution admitting failure to do their job. Good luck though.
runningcat11
Rep:
?
(Original post by BeetRoots)
If you appeal the university they are going to look at their handling of your dissertation but also whether or not you followed advice/protocols too. If, for example, you argue that you had mental health issues affecting you then you would have been expected to make that known at the time through the correct channels. You're not likely to get your work marked externally as this more or less amounts to a. institution admitting failure to do their job. Good luck though.
Hi BeetRoots

I submitted mitigating circumstances before I submitted my dissertation. When I won my previous academic appeal (in February... it took almost 6 months) I attached a plethora of evidence from my GP, NHS psychology services as well as the paperwork for buying the software.

I feel absolutely gutted, angry almost. Yes I can appeal but like I say I have been through this process before and it took a long time. I just think this is so unfair... 4 marks away. I gave everything to this course and 66/100 is actually one of my worst marks on the course despite putting a painstaking amount of work into my dissertation.
BeetRoots
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
Did your SU give you any advice?
PhoenixFortune
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
(Original post by runningcat11)
Hi,

I would like some advice from anyone who has been through this experience (I have already contacted my student union).

Basically, I have received my dissertation mark and it is lower than I expected (66% - was hoping for 70%).

First things first, I have previously made an academic appeal on the course and won. I was given a really low exam mark last year and I challenged it based on my mental health and various things that were going on.

There are a number of reasons why I think my dissertation mark is unfair. Firstly, I received no help from my supervisor, which is linked to my second point. Secondly, I had to buy software to complete my dissertation. My supervisor had no idea I needed it so I had to order it from oak ridge in America, then self teach and do my dissertation in
Basically, I want my dissertation to be re-marked by someone with no influence with the university. I have very strong medical evidence, plus evidence of ordering the software and it's arrival date.

This whole course has been a nightmare and this has really cheesed me off. I know I am not "entitled" to receive a distinction but I did everything right, against all the odds, and they are going to cheat me out of it by 4/100 marks on the dissertation. I feel like I must challenge it.

Thanks in advance
What do you mean by 'I got no help from my supervisor'? Were they difficult to get hold of? Did they not give you any feedback throughout the process?

Has your dissertation been externally moderated? My MA dissertation was marked by 3 different academics (2 internal and 1 external) to ensure the mark was fair.

If you do succeed in getting your work remarked, the mark you receive could go up or down, so make sure you are prepared for that.
runningcat11
Rep:
?
(Original post by BeetRoots)
Hi BeetRoots

I submitted mitigating circumstances before I submitted my dissertation. When I won my previous academic appeal (in February... it took almost 6 months) I attached a plethora of evidence from my GP, NHS psychology services as well as the paperwork for buying the software.

I feel absolutely gutted, angry almost. Yes I can appeal but like I say I have been through this process before and it took a long time. I just think this is so unfair... 4 marks away. I gave everything to this course and 66/100 is actually one of my worst marks on the course despite putting a painstaking amount of work into my dissertation.
(Original post by PhoenixFortune)
What do you mean by 'I got no help from my supervisor'? Were they difficult to get hold of? Did they not give you any feedback throughout the process?

Has your dissertation been externally moderated? My MA dissertation was marked by 3 different academics (2 internal and 1 external) to ensure the mark was fair.

If you do succeed in getting your work remarked, the mark you receive could go up or down, so make sure you are prepared for that.
He provided me with almost no help whatsoever. He didn't know how to use the software I needed (which I ordered off my own back). I self taught the entire thing. He provided me with a document with some pictures of detectors - that is it. I honestly self taught the entire MSc dissertation.
PhoenixFortune
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
(Original post by runningcat11)
He provided me with almost no help whatsoever. He didn't know how to use the software I needed (which I ordered off my own back). I self taught the entire thing. He provided me with a document with some pictures of detectors - that is it. I honestly self taught the entire MSc dissertation.
Did you schedule meetings with him and ask him for feedback along the way? It's your responsibility to make sure that your supervision is arranged to meet your needs.

Again, was your dissertation externally moderated? If it was, you can't reasonably ask for a second moderation without proof of incorrect process.
runningcat111
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
Did you schedule meetings with him and ask him for feedback along the way? It's your responsibility to make sure that your supervision is arranged to meet your needs.

Again, was your dissertation externally moderated? If it was, you can't reasonably ask for a second moderation without proof of incorrect process.
There were two issues. The first is my supervisor wasnt a lecturer and wasnt based at the university - he worked for sellafield and I have never actually seen him in person. I sent emails along the way, some of them pleading for essential diagrams and dimensions which I needed for my computational model, but like i say, he had no clue how to use the software so provided no real help. He also provided nothing for my literature review, so I researched all of that myself too. I may as well have been at the open university.

I'm not sure what I am going to put as the desired outcome of the appeal - perhaps scaling or a remark with various facts brought to light.

At the moment im waiting on two things - 1. a breakdown of my marks on blackboard and 2. confirmation from the su on how long I have to put together an appeal.
PhoenixFortune
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
(Original post by runningcat111)
There were two issues. The first is my supervisor wasnt a lecturer and wasnt based at the university - he worked for sellafield and I have never actually seen him in person. I sent emails along the way, some of them pleading for essential diagrams and dimensions which I needed for my computational model, but like i say, he had no clue how to use the software so provided no real help. He also provided nothing for my literature review, so I researched all of that myself too. I may as well have been at the open university.

I'm not sure what I am going to put as the desired outcome of the appeal - perhaps scaling or a remark with various facts brought to light.

At the moment im waiting on two things - 1. a breakdown of my marks on blackboard and 2. confirmation from the su on how long I have to put together an appeal.
Did you defer to your second supervisor at any time? They are also there to help you if your primary supervisor is unavailable. Your supervisor isn't the one to provide anything for your lit review, that's for you to investigate yourself. I don't know the ins and outs of the topic you were researching, but supervisors don't tend to hand-hold you at master's level.

You still haven't answered my question about whether your dissertation was externally moderated - if it was, then you don't really have grounds for appealing (especially as you wanted a new marker unaffiliated with your university).
Last edited by PhoenixFortune; 9 months ago
stabilo20619
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
Your supervisor isn't super human, he may know as little as you about the new software that you mentioned, so there's no grounds for appeal there.

Also, as far as i'm aware with most dissertations, you get to decide which supervisor you want. You've either chosen someone not based at the university knowingly or you didn't do enough research into your potential supervisor - either way there's no grounds for appeal there.
runningcat1111
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
Did you defer to your second supervisor at any time? They are also there to help you if your primary supervisor is unavailable. Your supervisor isn't the one to provide anything for your lit review, that's for you to investigate yourself. I don't know the ins and outs of the topic you were researching, but supervisors don't tend to hand-hold you at master's level.

You still haven't answered my question about whether your dissertation was externally moderated - if it was, then you don't really have grounds for appealing (especially as you wanted a new marker unaffiliated with your university).
Second supervisor? There wasn't one. My point is I received no help whatsoever. I basically self taught radiation transport modelling.

I don't think so. It was suppost to be marked by two academics and if it was considered for a distinction it was sent to an external examiner. Since mine was marked as 66% I believe mine has not been externally moderated.

I feel like I have a good shot at an appeal, as I have won one a few months ago which was also marked by two academics. There has been a lot of problems on this course.

Anyway thank you for your help. I will see what happens.
runningcat1111
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
(Original post by stabilo20619)
Sounds like you were simply not capable of doing an Msc.Your supervisor isn't super human, he may know as little as you about the new software that you mentioned, so there's no grounds for appeal there.

Also, as far as i'm aware with most dissertations, you get to decide which supervisor you want. You've either chosen someone not based at the university knowingly or you didn't do enough research into your potential supervisor - either way there's no grounds for appeal there.

A masters qualified requires independent working and it seems like you weren't prepared for that. You aren't supposed to be spoon-fed with instructions, guidelines or endless hints and tips from your supervisor, like you may have been during your bachelors degree.
Are you on here to troll? I am on here for advice (which I have now received). Stop being so bloody insecure.

For reference:

My MSc results - 75%, 73%, 72%, 70%, 70%, 68%, 67%, 66%, 60%. In nuclear engineering.

My BSc results - first class honours in physics.
stabilo20619
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
(Original post by runningcat1111)
Are you on here to troll? I am on here for advice (which I have now received). Stop being so bloody insecure.
No, just giving you a reality check.

You're making every excuse under the sun for why you didn't get a distinction, blaming others etc. Your dissertation obviously didn't meet the marking criteria for 70%, and they're double or even triple marked so you need to accept your merit.
The Empire Odyssey
  • Study Helper
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
4% is not considered a low mark. Just because you think your work deserves higher, doesn't mean it should be marked higher.

I'd understand if you got like 50-60% or something. Just because you worked harder than anticipated, doesn't equate to getting a higher mark.
1postonlyuser
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
Just to update; my academic appeal was successful as my medical and other evidence wasn't disputed. I can now make corrections to my work.
1postonlyuser
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by stabilo20619)
No, just giving you a reality check.

You're making every excuse under the sun for why you didn't get a distinction, blaming others etc. Your dissertation obviously didn't meet the marking criteria for 70%, and they're double or even triple marked so you need to accept your merit.
Fail. I was updated this week and my academic appeal was successful!
stabilo20619
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by 1postonlyuser)
Fail. I was updated this week and my academic appeal was successful!
Cheating the system is nothing to be proud of!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now? (select all that apply)

Lack of purpose or routine (160)
15.55%
Uncertainty around my education (167)
16.23%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (98)
9.52%
Isolating with family (71)
6.9%
Lack of support system (eg. Teachers, counsellors) (38)
3.69%
Lack of exercise/ability to be outside (90)
8.75%
Loneliness (102)
9.91%
Financial worries (46)
4.47%
Concern about myself or my loved ones getting ill (94)
9.14%
Exposure to negative news/social media (73)
7.09%
Lack of real life entertainment (eg. cinema, gigs, restaurants) (90)
8.75%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed