Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hiya was doing some questions and got stuck on a few and since the book doesnt show the working i was wondering if any of u would be kind enough to help me out..
    cheeers

1. (dnt get c of this q but am typin it all)
    Parametric equations of curve C:
    x=t^2, y= sin2t, t> or = 0
    Point A is an intersection of C with X-axis
    a. find in terms of pi the x-cord of A
    b. find dy/dx in terms of t, t>0
    c. show that an equation of the tangent to C at A is 4x + 2pi*y = pi^2

2. (dnt get b and c of this q but am typin it all..)
    a. if (1+x)(2+y) = x^2 + y^2, find dy/dx in terms of x and y
    b. find the gradient of the curve (1+x)(2+y) =x^2 + y^2 at each of the 2 points where the curve meets the y-axis
    c. show that there are 2 points at which the tangents to this curve are parallel to the y-axis

3. dy/dx =x^x , x>0, y>0, by taking logarithms show that
    dy/dx = x^x(1+ lnx)

4. (dnt get the c part of this question but am typin it all..)
    a. given that x=2^t, by using logarithms prove that dx/dt = 2^t ln2
    A curve C has parametric equations x=2^t, y=3t^2. the tangent to c at point with co-ord (2,3) cuts x-axis at point P.
    b. find dy/dx in terms of t
    c. calculate the x-cord of P, giving answer to 3dp

5. (dnt get c, but again am typing whole question)
    A population P is growing at the rate of 9% each yr and at time t years may be approximated by the formula P = Po(1.09)^t, t> or =0
    where P s regarded as a continuos function of t and Po is the starting population at time t=0
    a. find an expression for t in terms of P and Po
    b. find the timeT yrs when the population has doubled from its value at t=0, giving your ans to 3sf
    c. find as a multiple of Po, the rate of change of population dP/dt at time t =T

6. find the magnitude and direction of each of these vectors:
    a. -8i + 15j
    i got magnitude 17 and direction -61.9 degrees, the answer in the back for direction is 118.1 degrees.. why does this need 180 degrees added to it? when the other negative values i got were left negative?

b. -8i
    magnitude =8, but how do i work out the direction?
    same for
    c. 16j (magnitude =16)

7. the vector p has magnitude 10 units and is inclined at 150 degrees to the x-axis. express p as a column vector.
    how do i solve this one?!

starting to worry exam is next thursday.. really need to get an A in maths
    annnnd thank you for all your help in advance :P

ReputationRep:
    Are you sure you've written all of question 1 down? I don't see how you could get the x co-ordinate of A unless you've got a value for t. Since you know y=0, sin2t=0 as well, therefore 2t=0, pi, 2pi, etc.

ReputationRep:
    umm well question 1 also has a quick sketch of the graph. point A y-coord is 0
    sorry for not including that info forgot too ooops

ReputationRep:
    Hmmm...

ReputationRep:
    I cba to all of them, but I will do the last 2 (pretty sure someone will do some of the others while i am typing)

6. There are two possible angles between the lines, 61.9 degrees and 118.1 degrees (draw any two lines on a piece of paper and see for yourself). As a rule never give the negative solution for cos (theta) in the dot product formula. For the equation cos (theta) = k there are always two solutions for most values (obvious exceptions being where we have right angles)

7. Polar co-ordinates. We know that x = r cos (theta) and y = r sin (theta), where theta is the angle (be very careful to sketch first so you get the signs right) and r is the modulus, or magnitude of the vector.

ReputationRep:
    oh and the curve passes throught the origin**

ReputationRep:
    For 2b once you've gotten dy/dx you sub x=0 in both the equation for the gradient and the original equation. From the original equation you now have a quadratic involving only y terms - factorise to get 2 values of y. Sub these 2 values into the dy/dx equation to get 2 numerical values for the gradient.

ReputationRep:
    For question 1c I think once you have the gradient and the x and y coordinates of A you can use y - y1 = m(x-x1) to get the equation (or y=mx+c).

ReputationRep:
    thanks turgon got 1 and 2 now !!!
    annd 6 and 7 took my brain a little longer to get lol, but i think i understand (i hate vectors find it difficult to get my head round!)

ReputationRep:
    4c:

You've got the equation for the gradient and the x and y co ordinates. Use the co-ordinates to get a numerical value for the gradient. Use y-y1 = m(x-x1) to get the equation for the tangent. Make the y value in that equation of the tangent 0 and re arrange to get the x value.

ReputationRep:
    I havent read all your questions, there are several and i'm watching the football right now :p:

3. Take ln of both sides. You'll then need to differentiate implicitly. Note  lnx^x = xlnx . You should be able to differentiate that via the product rule.

6a. Draw -8i+15j on a graph. Look where it is. The direction is always the angle it makes with the positive x-axis. So you want  180-tan^{-1}\frac{15}{8}
    The dot product does not come into this question!!
    6b. what angle does -8i make with the positive x-axis?
    same for c.

ReputationRep:
    yaaay thanks question 4c i get! and its riiight woop woop haha

ReputationRep:
    5c
    Not too sure about this one but here goes...
    Right at the start of the question it says "A population P is growing at the rate of 9% each yr ".

This means dp/dt = 0.09P, where P is the current population. You know at T, P=2Po. Sub this into the dp/dt equation, and I think you have your answer.

ReputationRep:
    thanks silent ninja

and turgon im confused so u u just multiply 0.09 by 2?
    is that what u mean?
    coz answer is meant to be0.172 Po

ReputationRep:
    5c I remember doing before but cant find my post. Here are two threads that answer this (i havent checked if they are correct, i just hit the search button!): here and here.

ReputationRep:
    ohhh i c thankkkkks!

ReputationRep:
    I see how the answer was obtained using the other method...but I don't understand why mine doesn't work for this.

Is dp/dt not equal to 0.09P then or am I missing out a constant or something?

ReputationRep:
    dP/dt is not 0.09P. The growth of the population would be some sort of geometric equation, not a quadratic as you have wrote. The question gives you the function in any case, you differentiate that to give you dP/dt.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by silent ninja)
    dP/dt is not 0.09P. The growth of the population would be some sort of geometric equation, not a quadratic as you have wrote. The question gives you the function in any case, you differentiate that to give you dP/dt.
    I think that makes it slightly clearer . So I assume this means that even though it states "A population P is growing at the rate of 9% each yr" the rate of change of population is not proportional to the population at the time.

ReputationRep:
    No, I dont think it is. It would normally suggest or say something is proportional to something else. 0.09 is not the same as 9% growth. You've just written the gradient is 0.09P, that is, the gradient is constant, but that's not true for a geometric equation.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: June 8, 2008

University open days

• University of Bradford
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    All Faculties Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Heriot-Watt University
    All Schools Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Equations

Best calculators for A level Maths

Tips on which model to get

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.