How do I force myself to focus? Watch

abbie d
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 months ago
I realise this is probably a common question but I feel like I've tried absolutely everything and it's still not working. I've had to resit some of my exams (second year uni) and I don't know what happens if I fail, every time I think about it it just makes me panic so I'm trying not to, but every time I try and revise I just. can. not. focus.

I've tried listening to music, being in complete silence, removing all distractions, taking gingko biloba pills, etc. I'm studying at home away from uni as it's technically summer break right now, so study groups aren't an option.

It really feels like even if I completely disable the internet and lock myself in a room with only a textbook and a pen I would still end up doing something else or simply staring into space rather than actually study. And I want to study! There's literally nothing I wanna do more than pass this year and move on to the next but I can't. And my exams are in two weeks. Does anyone have any other advice? At this point I will try literally anything.

Interea
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
I find that it helps to start off just trying to do anything. Sat down to do work and lost focus after 3 minutes? Doesn't matter, that's still 3 minutes of work you hadn't done before. I'd still recommend being in complete silence and removing all distractions, but at least for the first couple of days, just let yourself do what you can before losing focus.

The key thing is to keep going back to try and do work. Doing 3 minutes work isn't good if you then give up and do something else for 2 hours. But doing that little amount of work and then allowing yourself a 5 minutes break, then sitting back down and doing a little bit more work until you lose focus again, that'll slowly start building up. Plus I generally find that just starting to work through things builds my motivation, and I start wanting to work for longer and longer before my focus breaks again and I need to take a few minutes away.

Good luck in your exams
University of East Anglia UG Student Rep
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
Hey abbie d,

So at this point, I'd suggest you try some self-care and give yourself something to look forward. Break your revision into chunks and in your revision timetable add in some treats. For example, if you get through a topic, go to the cinema with friends or order takeaway or a quick yoga session (just throwing ideas from the top of my head!). Sometimes the more we try to study, the less goes in because we've forgotten to look after ourselves. So by giving yourself something to look forward to, that may increase your energy levels to get through what is a very difficult exam and revision period.

Look into mindfulness meditation - this is all about being in the present and trying to focus on the present. It really helped me increase my focus during exam season. I enjoy the awareness activities so do a little bit of this every day. Also check out the student support services at your university - maybe they have some resources online on how to focus or anything on revision stress management.

Good luck with the exams - you got this!

Mev, Undergrad Rep.
(Original post by abbie d)
I realise this is probably a common question but I feel like I've tried absolutely everything and it's still not working. I've had to resit some of my exams (second year uni) and I don't know what happens if I fail, every time I think about it it just makes me panic so I'm trying not to, but every time I try and revise I just. can. not. focus.

I've tried listening to music, being in complete silence, removing all distractions, taking gingko biloba pills, etc. I'm studying at home away from uni as it's technically summer break right now, so study groups aren't an option.

It really feels like even if I completely disable the internet and lock myself in a room with only a textbook and a pen I would still end up doing something else or simply staring into space rather than actually study. And I want to study! There's literally nothing I wanna do more than pass this year and move on to the next but I can't. And my exams are in two weeks. Does anyone have any other advice? At this point I will try literally anything.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Sheffield Hallam University
    Get into Teaching in South Yorkshire Undergraduate
    Wed, 26 Feb '20
  • The University of Law
    Solicitor Series: Assessing Trainee Skills – LPC, GDL and MA Law - London Moorgate campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 26 Feb '20
  • University of East Anglia
    PGCE Open day Postgraduate
    Sat, 29 Feb '20

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (534)
66.42%
No (270)
33.58%

Watched Threads